**The Official Unofficial CPS Thread** (1 Viewer)

Pick up a set from apache. I think the price is scheduled to go up in the future. I'm going to order a sample set soon.

I grabbed a set from from another member. I hope I like them because they look awesome!

Received my invoice today, shipping was a little more then I expected ($46 for 1600 chips + $5.50 for boxes). Chips were cheap enough so no big deal, anybody have an estimated delivery date?

Whoa! Ya, I'd say that's more than expected. I was assuming he'd use large/medium flate rate boxes... I ordered 2600 chips, so was thinking two LFR boxes.. Those run under $18 each, so $36.00 total. The FR boxes are free... The shipping costs $36. Now, when I calculate a LFR ONE-day, that comes to $44... I'd confirm with Joe what he's using. I'll pay 2/3 less for waiting an extra day...

Last edited:
Personally, I'm not gonna sweat an extra penny per chip shipping.

Personally, I'm not gonna sweat an extra penny per chip shipping.
I agree not sweating it, just not what I expected. I just had to explain the cost to my wife, it was more then I had told her. I knew about the 50¢ cardboard box chip holders from previous orders but honestly forgot to add that into my cost. Final cost is just under 28.5¢/chip no complaints, can't wait to see them on my table.

From invoice:
11 chipbox CARDBOARD BOX CHIP HOLDER 0.50 - 5.50
1 freight charges shipping/ 2 boxes 46.00 - 46.00

Invoice recvd and pd.

400 chips to come up for sale once received.

Huh, you're selling your set as soon as you get it?

Don't forget...shipping probably includes getting this thing sent from China to the US

As far as I was aware the shipping to the US was factored into the price per chip already, just the shipping from Florida to you was going to be extra. FWIW I have roughly 1200 chips ordered and my costs were listed as:

$40 shipping
8 x cardboard box chip holders- $4

I was tempted to put my blanks up for sale as well, because I have the FDL's in the pipeline. Then I said "what better way to increase home game security than to have 'secondaries' available".

It's now going to be a race to see which set arrives first.

As far as I was aware the shipping to the US was factored into the price per chip already, just the shipping from Florida to you was going to be extra.

This was MY understanding as well. Everything discussed about shipping prior to/during this GB was about Flat Rate boxes, how many chips would fit in, etc.... People asked that question a lot, what's shipping going to be? The response was to calculate how many chips x number of FR boxes required...

I recall that the cost of shipping them from China was supposed to be ONE of the justifications for the 2/3 price jump between these and the previous GB attempt. If my recollection on this is wrong, please correct me.

Now that said, it's still a great deal, which isn't unreasonable, it's just not the deal I remember entering into. Will I sweat it? (in principle, probably a little), but will I pay it, sure will - also with having to explain to the wife...

OK, searched, and post #32 here clarifies that PGI was factoring in shipping from China/VATs etc... in their per chip pricing.

http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/palm-...nship-poker-series-group-buy.html#post1236387

its not easy to figure out yet- my best pricing is based on an order of 500,000 chips- since theres 10 different colored chips- I need to commit to raw materials to run 500,000 chips. that's 50,000 chips x 10 colors

the GB will not be near that many chips- so I have to factor in how much out of pocket cash I will tie up to do this GB and warehouse even more chips or pay higher per chips to run less chips and still have to cover the cost of the raw materials- plus a profit to PGI etc

theres a mold fee- and then shipping, VAT etc actually we will probably have to run TWO molds so we don't end up with varying thicknesses of chips
( china now has a VAT on exports)

Assuming we don't sell 500,000 chips in a GB- I think we will be under 25c a chip landed but I cant get it more accurate until I know approx. how many chips were gonna end up selling in this GB- what my total mold costs will be and what the min number of chips the factory will run for me in one setting

its alot more then that- 25c for a quality chip is extremely inexpensive-

numbers are meaningless unles someone can produce a quality chip- similiar to the private cardroom chip- only this time there will be no variations in chip thickness- at least I pray LOL-

theres a reason the other factory bowed out- I know what it costs me to have a chip made and trust me- I cant come in at the original GB price- but I CAN make the chip and therein lies the difference. Weve done it before.

All I can do is: figure out mold costs- freight costs- a small profit- and put the numbers out to the masses- but I can deliver-

if someone feels that say .22 to .25 per chip is too much and they like the original price- they are free to design a mold- hire a mold maker- talk with a molding company, talk to a printer- and they can handle things- perhaps.

I dont want to run a group buy- and order chips and invest money and not see a profit until I sell off the inventory I was forced to buy in order to meet factory requirements- thats why the price is going to be higher then the original group buy price- which honestly- I doubted would ever happen.

I havnt seen the European version- and lets face it- these aint ASM chips or Paulsons- but by the time you factor in brokers fees, trucking fees from port to the warehouse-the new china VAT- oceanfreight costs- insurance costs- mold costs- edm costs- printing costs- unloading the chips- pulling orders-
it sort of makes 25c sound like a bargain!! :)

So, am I going to be flamed for speaking up about this? I don't really think we should be paying for overseas container shipment, when all that was factored into the price of the chip. And, when we asked about shipping costs, we were told to figure out the number of chips that fit into FRB's and do the math... Now, I was calculating $30-40 reshipping costs. If my shipping costs are double what was expected, then I think that's not what was agreed upon. Is it still a decent price overall for the chips? Sure, but not what was agreed upon.

Now, I haven't received my invoice yet, but I'm a bit concerned since p5woody's was $46 for 1600 chips, and I didn't expect my shipping to be that much for the 2600 chips I ordered. I'll wait and see where I land, but I don't expect to pay twice for shipping from China and VAT, etc...

Last edited:
I was tempted to put my blanks up for sale as well, because I have the FDL's in the pipeline. Then I said "what better way to increase home game security than to have 'secondaries' available".

It's now going to be a race to see which set arrives first.
That thought qualifies you for chip psychosis symptom of the week...

Got my invoice and paid yesterday. I had Kim remove the shipping costs since I will be going to PGI to pick them up in person, along with a birdcage and racks if Joe's got 'em. I might even pick up a pachislo machine if I still have a little cash left from the Xmas budget. :)

I might even pick up a pachislo machine if I still have a little cash left from the Xmas budget. :)

You're the last true family man

Griswold340.png

Shipping costs from any commercial vendor will include insurance and signature confirmation - totally standard.

Shipping costs from any commercial vendor will include insurance and signature confirmation - totally standard.

Which amounts to about a $19 hard cost just for the USPS Medium Flat Rate Box (about 800 chips). Two of those would be $38 plus the cost of packing materials and sorting/shipping labor. $46 doesn't seem unreasonable for a 1600 chip order -- not to mention that we're talking an extra 1/2-penny per chip.

Flamed? Nah. But if I needed to explain every $8 purchase I make to my wife, I'd be on the short list to get a new wife. :cool:

Flamed? Nah. But if I needed to explain every $8 purchase I make to my wife, I'd be on the short list to get a new wife. :cool:

I love this ;)

I ordered 1600, all blanks. I'll have to wait for the second shipment, then have PGI do the labels. I'd love to see them ASAP. Shipping invoice paid -- I paid for all the chips up front.

Sorry for the noob question, how are the labels applied and what material are they made of?

Factory labels (vinyl?) are adhesive-backed with a thin laminated layer (plastic?) added on top for protection.

After-market labels are typically better quality printing and usually thicker materials, but more costly. Factory labels usually run 1/2-cent each or so, after-market labels can cost up to 10-15 cents each or more, but come in a variety of shapes and textures, sometimes with long-lasting UV-cured adhesive.

Which amounts to about a $19 hard cost just for the USPS Medium Flat Rate Box (about 800 chips). Two of those would be $38 plus the cost of packing materials and sorting/shipping labor. $46 doesn't seem unreasonable for a 1600 chip order -- not to mention that we're talking an extra 1/2-penny per chip.

Flamed? Nah. But if I needed to explain every $8 purchase I make to my wife, I'd be on the short list to get a new wife.

Dave and Ben, I agree there will be some extra costs involved. However, any commercial vendor will not be paying residential walk-in prices. Using just the "online pricing" (which I used when I was shipping out of my home as an eBay seller). I calculated a MFRB package from FL to WI and with $200 of added insurance, it came to $14.60. In the discussions about shipping, it was said that 875 chips could fit into a MFRB. Not sure if that's accurate, but lets say we're close. p5woody would have needed two of these (for a total of $29.20 in basic costs). The "packing materials" are being partially paid for by the buyers (with the $.50 boxes). So in p5woody's case, he was invoiced $46 on a $29.20 USPS bill, which is close to $17 extra. Not including the $.50 boxes. I'm looking at needing 3-4 MFRB's, so I'm looking at way more than $17 extra.

Heh,
My threshold is far greater than $8....

All that said, if my invoice for shipping was a mere $8 (or even $16) dollars more than expected, I wouldn't bat an eyelash. If it's $30-40 more ($70-80 total)? I'll still pay, but I might not be quite as happy about it.

Anyway, I'm excited about this chips. ;)

I just received a medium flat rate box with 900 chips. I do not recommend it. It was beat to death and a miracle only two chips were lost. That many chips is just way too heavy for a medium-size box.

Has anyone got their chips yet?

Not even close, they were still invoicing last I knew. Most likely we'll see them late January/early February I think

Yeah, I'm still waiting on my final invoice.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom