The Ironbound Lounge Tournament Set (CPC) (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score

Manufacturer: Classic Poker Chips (CPC)

Mold: MD-50 (DIASQUARE/DSQ)

Inlay Designer: @Johnny5

The Story: It's pretty much the same as the cash set linked here. This is the tournament set counterpart to the cash set that was made last year. With the exception of the T500 chip which has inspirations from elsewhere, this is the first project in which I designed the chips totally from scratch, with no feedback from anyone. I'm nervously excited to show my first foray into this aspect of my journey in this hobby! Just in case you don't want to click on the link in the first sentence, below is the concept of how "The Ironbound Lounge" came to be:

This is a project that I was very excited about when drafting ideas that had ties to where I first grew up in Newark, New Jersey. The theme of the set is based around the city of Newark, specifically, the Ironbound section of the city. My grandparents (father's parents) emigrated there from Portugal in 1970's. This is where my parents met, grew up, and went to school together. The Ironbound section of the city has the Portuguese culture ingrained as a result of the high numbers of Portuguese immigrants that arrived mostly in the 1960's and 1970's. It gets the nickname of "The Ironbound" due to the high number of factories in that area of the city and that manufacturing was the primary basis of the local economy that provided the most jobs for the residents of the city that provided livelihood for most of these Portuguese immigrants, including my grandfather, whom worked at a leather factory to support his family previously not knowing any English or otherwise having any other skills in any kind of trade.

I'm made this set on the MD-50 (DIASQUARE) mold for a few reasons. The first is that I like the aesthetics of the mold design itself (that's the most important, right?). The second is that the history and use of the hub mold (or "square" mold, cousin to the current MD-50 mold, I believe it's named the MD-33 mold something like that) can be traced all the way back to the Mason and Co. days back in the 1930's before they were bought by Burt and Co., the company that manufactured most of the current molds that CPC uses to this day. The hub mold has since been retired, but the MD-50 mold is very similar and was also made by Burt and Co. just after they absorbed Mason and Co. Mason and Co. had a factory and headquarters in the peak era of industrial Newark, guess where? The Ironbound.

This design was an absolute blast to work with John on, and he absolutely nailed it right on the head. I have very fond memories of taking the train into Newark, even after my family moved away into the suburbs, of walking down Ferry Street and taking a look at all of the local shops and restaurants. There are a lot of little restaurants where the locals get together and watch soccer games and have a meal or two that are called "clubs" or "lounges", sipping on beer, or sangria in warmer months. Sangria is a drink ingrained into Portuguese and Spanish culture, using red or white wine, brandy, lemon lime soda, orange juice, and infused with cut up fresh fruit (apples, oranges, berries mostly) served chilled and absolutely refreshing on a warm, humid New Jersey summer day. The inlay on the chips pays homage to his, showing a sangria pitcher and glass. Hence the name "The Ironbound Lounge" was born. I've had several people when I got the cash set into play in the past say that they looked up the name on Google just to make sure it wasn't a real place, which is a testament to J5's design work, as they thought that The Ironbound Lounge was a real place. However, for a night of cards, you can hang out, bust balls, and sip some sangria when I transform my basement into The Ironbound Lounge for the night.

I made this set initially with a T40,000 starting stack in mind that was T100 based. I also commissioned a T25 chip for the nights where the more common T10,000 base structure wins out. Initially, I ordered enough of chips for a two table game of 16 total players (8 at each table to start) as I've never had more players in a tournament at my place before. When I looked at the numbers, ultimately, it was only 180 chips more to give the set a capability to be utilized for up to a 30 player tournament. Easy choice to have that add on made, and David, as gracious as ever, allowed me to add on just before the mold cutoff. The ultimate breakdown of the set is below:

T25: 360
T100: 360
T500: 200
T1000: 300
T5000: 160
T20000: 40
Bounty: 60

Total: 1480

A lot of the chips in the set have New Jersey or Portuguese inspirations that I'll explain below. Keep these things in mind when you're looking at the chips...

T25: Obligatory @MrCatPants green chip weak chip of the set. This one's minty green like the Portugal alternate jersey
NIKE PORTUGAL 2016 AWAY JERSEY green - Soccer Plus

T100: Smoky like a cigar and a bourbon after the sun goes down

T500: Taj AC $500 chip inspired
All-Chips.com - TAJ-500 $500 Taj Mahal 1st issue

T1000: Portugal Flag colors on an arc yellow base that goes well with the progression of the set

T5000: The colors of FC Porto, my late grandfather's hometown soccer team in Portugal

New Balance FC Porto 19/20 Home Men's Jersey – Hooked on Soccer

T20000: No notation of any real significance, just liked how this chip design fit best!

Bounty: "Fudido" is the Portuguese word that best translates literally to "fucked up", "messed up", intoxicated, et al due to alcohol

Without further ado, here are the chips!

T25: Base Color: Green, Spot Colors: Light Green, White

T100: Base Color: Gray, Spot Colors: Charcoal, Red

T500: Base Color: Blurple, Spot Colors: DG Peach, DG Pink

T1000: Base Color: DG Arc Yellow, Spot Colors: Retro Green, Retro Red

T5000: Base Color: Bright White, Spot Colors: DG Peacock, Black

T20000: Base Color: DG Pink, Spot Colors: DG Yellow, Blue

Bounty: Base Color: Red, Spot Colors: Maroon, Yellow

Attachments

• 1684044291108.jpeg
    1684044291108.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 1684044397809.jpeg
    1684044397809.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 44
Beautiful set of chips!!!! Congratulations on completing them!!! Love the story behind them as well!!!!

Love the colours and your backstory but why fucking Porto of all the teams that you could pick? Porto are cheating c*nts :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Very cool set. I really like the inspiration and execution. And I absolutely love that modified inlay on the backside of the bounty/fudido chip. Great little surprise there.

When my son used to play travel soccer, we often played Ironbound. Always a great matchup! First time I had heard of the Portuguese soccer approach to playing. Chips came out great!!

Well done, I think the green chip is my fav of the set.

Nice, love the blurple chip
All the chips came out great I think, but the T500 may be my favorite! Blurple is definitely one of CPC's strongest colors. I go back on forth between the 500 and 5000 being my favorite. The 5000 is just drop dead gorgeous and vibrant.

@BonScot let me know next time you come to the US. I'll mail you a T5000 Porto chip

All the chips came out great I think, but the T500 may be my favorite! Blurple is definitely one of CPC's strongest colors. I go back on forth between the 500 and 5000 being my favorite. The 5000 is just drop dead gorgeous and vibrant.

@BonScot let me know next time you come to the US. I'll mail you a T5000 Porto chip
Your 25s are my team’s colours so all is forgiven :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

IMG_8123.jpeg

very nicely done. i especially like the gray 100/blurple 500 transition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom