Take care of your things and they'll take care of you! (2 Viewers)

Chipoholic8

Waiting List
Reaction score
looking a little oily as I am following a method where they cure for 48 hours with oil on them. Updates to come. Remember, if it was easy, everyone would do it!
image.jpg

Cure in oil? I don't understand what's curing. You've got way too much on there and the labels are at risk. I'd wipe off as much as you can asap. A very small amount of oil can bring out colors that fade with some cleaning methods. Too much just makes a mess and can ruin labels and inlays.

Cure in oil? I don't understand what's curing. You've got way too much on there and the labels are at risk. I'd wipe off as much as you can asap. A very small amount of oil can bring out colors that fade with some cleaning methods. Too much just makes a mess and can ruin labels and inlays.
This sounds easy. And if we’ve learned anything it’s

Remember, if it was easy, everyone would do it!

taking care of your things regardless of what they are is more of an adult thing you may not grasp just yet

taking care of your things regardless of what they are is more of an adult thing you may not grasp just yet
Kettle I see you've met pot

It takes an Adult to really half ass things

You're profile pic is off center, and your labels want to live!
allin.PNG
oil.PNG

I oiled a rack of Paulson chips yesterday… All it took was half a cap of mineral oil in small sink of warm water.

I dropped each chip in individually, then randomly raised and lowered handfuls of chips several times so they passed through the surface. They were plenty oiled this way.

If I were doing more I’d drag out my basket from a salad spinner but this was fine in a pinch.

No need to sit for 24 hours.

I dried them on towels immediately, let them air out 10 minutes on each side, then hand-rubbed them. They were ready to rack within a half-hour, but I like to give them all a bunch of shuffles in batches of 8 on an absorbent surface to catch any unseen excess.

The color is richer but they are not greasy this way.

What a jackass thing to say to experienced chippers who know that you’ve over oiled your chips merely by looking at them
Yeah. Just based on the initial post, I wondered if possibly this was just a big joke. Then when he went on the offensive, I thought it was even more likely that it was some kind of big troll. But I feel bad if this is actually some guy who got some bad advice and now he’s just getting all defensive about it instead of actually learning something.

Update. For the process, I will admit it was my fault I did not mention this was a water/mineral oil mix, not a straight bucket of oil as everyone though. No loose labels, satin finish to the touch, and deep colors. a big thanks to @Taghkanic for leaving a post with actually helpful insight and to everyone else for their...uhhh...support.

Cheers everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 115
So do you wipe the oily water off the inlay with this method? Terrified of messing up labels but this sounds so much easier

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom