Tourney T25, T100, T500 OG Binions WSOP inspired set (1 Viewer)

FearlessFred

High Hand
Reaction score
I'm contemplating ordering a set of binions web molds in a group buy to make a T10k 1970s WSOP inspired tourney set.

Absolute max would be 9 players but much more likely 8.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/wsop-chip-usage-binions-horseshoe.40067/

This excellent thread above shows that there were only T25,100 and 500s in the early years and brings up the question for me, why are t1000s ever used in small tourneys?

Surely the 1ks are the ineffecient 2x jump and the 500s are the useful chips?

I'm guessing that in their $10k T10k event might have had the following starting stacks?

16x25
16x100
16x500

I understand this would be a bit inefficient but what are everyone's thoughts?

probably back in the day more chips meant more fun... (slight sarcasm).

but these days if you start with more than 30 chips it's odd.
most of the time 500s are the least used (from my limited knowledge) in tournaments.
and we don't even use 25s at my place.

When I first hosted tournaments 20 years ago we did 20/20/15 of 25/100/500. I had like 1500 super diamonds and could build 20 such stacks, plus some yellow and pink for good measure too.

As I got more experienced I streamlined tournament sets, but this was a good time too.

Last edited:
I am tempted by the large equal stacks of chips. I can never see myself hosting a tourney larger than 9 players so I think I can deal with the inefficiencies.

It does beg the question why do seemingly all tourney sets use 500/1k chips. Wouldn't a t1k,5k,25k,100k be better?

I also feel that it feels odd to have so much of your stack value tied up in a couple of high demons, it can make people quite tight if they lose there small chips early

I am tempted by the large equal stacks of chips. I can never see myself hosting a tourney larger than 9 players so I think I can deal with the inefficiencies.

It does beg the question why do seemingly all tourney sets use 500/1k chips. Wouldn't a t1k,5k,25k,100k be better?

I also feel that it feels odd to have so much of your stack value tied up in a couple of high demons, it can make people quite tight if they lose there small chips early
When the so called "poker boom" took place in the early 2000s, the WSOP main event structure was T10,000 in chips with blinds starting at 25-50. This structure has it's roots in one of the earliest incarnations of the WSOP which was just a gathering of players for a cash game at these stakes and they elected a winner.

So I think since this was the structure when the WSOP got big, poker rooms replicated it for their own events, and in turn home poker enthusiasts did the same thing.

Now the WSOP structure no longer uses the T25 denomination and starts with T30,000 in chips with blinds at 100-100.

You would be surprised how much digital ink we have spilled overanalyzing the best tournament denominations. Click here.

Welcome to PCF.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom