Strategy for Run it 2x or 3x on an All-in Showdown (1 Viewer)

stargod05

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with an optimal strategy for running it multiple times on an all in showdown? I never know if I am getting taken advantage of by agreeing with the other player. Like if you are ahead is it better to run it more to reduce risk of ruin or just always take the variance/edge?

It doesn’t actually affect your EV in the hand, it just smooths out variance. It really is ultimately personal preference. It’s generally considered friendlier to run it multiple times, so from that perspective, if you want to continue to play with those players / get invited back / etc., it could be positive there.

It doesn’t actually affect your EV in the hand, it just smooths out variance. It really is ultimately personal preference. It’s generally considered friendlier to run it multiple times, so from that perspective, if you want to continue to play with those players / get invited back / etc., it could be positive there.
This says it all.
Be the person who always runs it multiple times or never runs it multiple times (or always agrees to what the other guy wants.) Don't pick and choose your spots - it's futile and considered poor etiquette by a lot of players.

Focus more on getting your money in good, however many times is irrelevant and does not change EV. Over time getting your money in good will yield a profit and getting it in bad will not no matter the run details.

If your roll is near depleted, you should move down, but failing that, running multiple times is better.

If another solid player is short rolled, you might consider running once.

But most of the time, if you think you are better than the table, probably best to always agree with the other players.

How many times you run it has no bearing long term on your bottom line. The reasons you do it or don't do it should be based on skill edge, bankroll, table image, opponents tendencies, and how it's perceived by the other players.

If you are short on money to rebuy, but the game is really good, you probably want to run it multiple times.

If your better than your opponent, you generally should let them decide as it keeps them in the game and coming back to the game.

If you want your bluffs to get through more often, then having people know you only go once can help against some players.

If a player is more willing to get it in with a draw if they know you ruin it multiple times, then you might want to run it multiple times to encourage them to get money in badly.

Personally, I run once post flop if the pot is heads up and under a certain dollar threshold. I tend to run multiple times if multiway. And if all in pre, I will generally run twice. Just my preferences. But I'm willing to run more than once in certain scenarios with certain players.

I don't think it's necessary to take an "always" or "never" stance with running it multiple times since it doesn't change EV.

It has no effect on your equity in the given hand, so all your choices depend on other factors.

Is this your last buy in? Run it twice so you're less likely to bust and can keep playing.

Is it your opponents last buy in? Run it twice if it's a social game and you wanna keep people at the table playing.

Are you and your opponent both willing to re-buy? Run it once and get some more money on the table.

Is there a much bigger stack at the table you want to contend with? Run it once so you can double up and win more in future hands.

etc. etc.

I don't care much either way, so I'll always agree to what the other player wants. Being a good sport and keeping other players happy is probably the best reason to agree to run it more than once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom