Starting out in poker

GavinMcresty

High Hand
Reaction score
I'm always curious about how things start. How did you start playing poker? Did a family member introduce you to it at a young age? Did you start playing online? Or did you first get introduced at college?
For me personally, I first started online a long time ago. I read a few articles about the basic rules and strategies on some websites. I then started playing some virtual games (without betting any actual money). From there it snowballed and I met a few people who also played and we started to meet up to play. Since then, I have not looked back!

bauss

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I started out by playing poker in the garage with my parents when I was 14. I seen them playing every weekend, and one day I just got interested in the learning the game myself. I'm glad then I decided to learn how to play poker at such a young age, because it has benefited me a lot, and now I have a ton of experience.

saw28

Pair
Reaction score
My girlfriends parents taught me old school ways of playing. Also my girl friends best friends boyfriend the internet ways and the abc's. Were now very close.

dowdyrich

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I actually got interested in poker because of the WSOP. It was one of the years when the field got HUGE and the winner got some outrageous amount for winning. I knew very little about poker at that time (barely knew the hierarchy of hands). After I watched the tourney I got interested and started to listen to podcast. I borrow a book from an avid player, but barely finished. We started playing home games and I got interested in Omaha as well. After I played in a poker room and double my buy-in, I was hooked!

RichMahogany

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that if you become a poker pro that you don't have to work, can sleep all day, and can party all night.

When I heard that I was sold ;)

apriapism

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I actually started playing it after I played it in the video game, red dead redemption lol.

Top Bottom