stamped ASM/CPC chips - original owner a member here? (1 Viewer)

Samuel

Straight
Reaction score
I recently found and bought a quantity of ASM/CPC chips (pictures to follow). The very limited information that I have is that these were made for a special purpose. I haven't decided what to do with them yet but I thought that since these appear to have been a special order from ASM/CPC, the original owner might be a member here and if so, I wanted to give him/her an opportunity to buy them from me for the very little that I paid for them + shipping (if not local to LA County) before I decide what to do with them. If these are yours, please PM me with pertinent info (e.g. what the letters stand for, approx how many chips there are, how old they are, how I might have gotten them, the basic story behind them, etc). Thanks.

Here are two chips from each of the three color combinations that I have. I think they seem to be in overall pretty good playing condition - doesn't look like they've been played with very much at all. Many of the chips have a cloudy appearance (that does Not wash off with warm water/soap) - see bottom right black chip. The upper black chip, which was also slightly cloudy, was lightly coated with mineral oil and then rinsed off and dabbed dry with a cloth towel. It is much deeper black now than all the other black chips but you can still see a couple of darker black blotches/blemishes near the bottom of the B.

20211208_114638 c.jpg

20211208_115008 c.jpg

the tan colored chips are speckled

20211208_115019 c.jpg

you can see the oiled black chip in the middle here:

20211208_114956 c.jpg

with a couple of chips from a CPC sample set to show the differences in white and tan and the reds

20211208_114854 c.jpg

as I was posting, I saw what looked like a "fault line" in the left SBH chip above. stupid me, I flexed it a little bit in my hands/fingers to see what would happen and CRAP - and it didn't break along that particular "fault" either! I didn't apply very much pressure at all (at least I didn't think I did) so now I'm wondering if all CPC chips are like that OR it's because these chips could be pretty old (do CPC chips become brittle over time? I don't have any idea how they were stored, treated, or maintained, except they came in a partially filled aluminum case). Sorry for breaking one!

20211208_125502 c.jpg

I flexed it a little bit in my hands/fingers to see what would happen and CRAP - and it didn't break along that particular "fault" either! I didn't apply very much pressure at all (at least I didn't think I did) so now I'm wondering if all CPC chips are like that OR it's because these chips could be pretty old (do CPC chips become brittle over time? I don't have any idea how they were stored, treated, or maintained, except they came in a partially filled aluminum case). Sorry for breaking one!
Congratz you just found your super strength power

I don't know about ASM; however, they're definitely not CPC given they have no tan color in their lineup... THOUGH THEY NEED ONE!

Perhaps they WERE white and (like @allforcharity said) are ridiculously old and they tarnished over time? I.E. 50 year old newspaper will have a yellow'ish tinge.

Last edited:
Thanks, I didn't know that! I guess age discoloration is possible but the tan color is super evenly distributed on each chip and across all of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom