Sports Betting with Rainman (1 Viewer)

RainmanTrail

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Well gang, it's about that time of year again. Baseball season is in full swing, and I'll be placing quite a few bets between now and the All-Star break. I've been betting on MLB for two seasons now, and NHL for one season. I've been a consistent winner in all 3 of these seasons, over a span of 250+ games.

As some of you know, I'm a data scientist/statistician that builds predictive models for a living, which are very similar to the models that bookmakers in Las Vegas use to make the betting lines. The models I built for MLB games are entropy maximization based models which leverage webscraped social media data and several other factors to identify profitable betting lines. The model was trained on a dataset that I put together of thousands of games from over 10 years worth of MLB seasons. I ran my model on 5 season's worth of MLB data that it hadn't seen before, and it won in all 5 seasons. Then, 2 years ago, I started betting with my predictive model, and won a few grand the first season, and about $2500 the next season (while averaging about $150 bets per game). I then built a very similar model for NHL games, and it won with a very similar ROI.

I keep a log of my bets on a website that tracks my wins and losses, so you can see my results (which I started logging last year, so unfortunately I don't have the games from my first MLB season in there). But you can clearly see the two seasons worth of data in the graph below from it. The first section from May to July was for MLB, then I stopped betting until NHL season in Nov-Mar. I will be betting from now until the All-Star break as I haven't yet built a model for the MLB after the break (too many things change which break my predictive model after the All-Star break - trade deadline, rookie call-ups, dog days of summer, teams out of contention changing strategies, etc).

I will try to post all my bets before the games start, but I often bet minutes before the games start, and will likely forget to post sometimes. If you'd like to follow along, or if you just feel like gambling it up with me, like the complete degenerate you are, I'll be posting my bets in this thread.

This is gambling - bet at your own risk and no bitching if/when we lose. However, if I win you some money, I expect to be rewarded in chips! ;):ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This does NOT mean that my bets are guaranteed to win you money of course...

My betting log: http://www.sharpbettracker.com/bets/view?share=CLDRQBTD

Screenshot%202016-04-17%2006.51.45.png

Do you make only money line plays? I'm assuming yes because even without paying vig, with a 82-86 record you should be down slightly.

@RainmanTrail - two questions.

1. Looks like you vacillate between books from MLB to NHL season. Any reason why? Do you recommend one book over another?

2. How do you go about sizing your bets?

Ah, OK. Thanks. I'm going to follow this thread closely. I think I might play my own little game of "Baseball fanatic vs. Computer", and see how I do. :)

@RainmanTrail - two questions.

1. Looks like you vacillate between books from MLB to NHL season. Any reason why? Do you recommend one book over another?

2. How do you go about sizing your bets?

The main reason I switched books was because I can place wagers using Bitcoin on Nitrogen, which is a HUGE advantage. I can cash out instantly and don't have to worry about whether or not I'll ever get my money. My first season betting baseball was mostly on Carbon and Bovada, but it took months to receive and cash my checks from them. Plus, I had to pay fees of around $150 per check since they were coming from a Canadian bank. It was pretty annoying. But Bitcoin is instant. I do still have some money on Bovada that I use for poker, but I'd prefer to keep it for poker there, although I'll still place bets there occasionally. If you're interested in getting set up with NitrogenSports, let me know. I think I get a referral bonus or something.

Recently, I've been sizing my bets so that the amount I stand to win is constant. I'm currently betting to win $200 per game. But I'm almost always betting on underdogs, so I think my average bet is around $140 to win $200 or something like that, but my bets vary depending on the odds being offered. Previously, I was betting according to a formula I had come up with which optimizes bet sizing based on the size of my edge in each game, which has a slightly higher ROI, but it also increases variance quite a bit, and thus my ROR (risk of ruin). So, I decided to trade some profitability for lower variance last year and this year.

Do you make only money line plays? I'm assuming yes because even without paying vig, with a 82-86 record you should be down slightly.

Ya, for MLB and NHL I only bet money line plays. I'm almost always betting on bad teams, or good teams with a bad pitcher or goal keeper. I haven't built a model yet for NBA, but when I do, I'll probably be betting the point spreads (assuming I can even beat it at all that is).

Lots of games today... will post line info later, gotta run to class. These are my 5 picks for today though

Oakland
Tampa Bay
Detroit
Arizona
Houston

OK, home from school now... The lines I got for the above games were:

Oakland +145
Tampa Bay -108
Detroit +145
Arizona +111
Houston -108

I also placed a wager for John Kasich to win the GOP nomination. Obviously this isnt' based on a predictive model. It's just a fun bet I placed on a hunch. I think there's a fairly strong likelihood that the reason he's still in the race is because "important people" (whoever the hell that is) are telling him to stick it out because they're going to give him the nomination in the event of a contested convention (which seems quite likely now). He's the only GOP candidate that polls well against Hilary, and I got him at 7 to 1 odds of becoming the GOP nomination. I think it's worth a wager :)

OK, today's games are:

LA Angels +140
Houston +123
Seattle +127
Arizona +122
Toronto +102

April 21st games so far (looks like there will likely be a couple more by tomorrow, but these are the early lines I'm taking so far

Tampa Bay +141
Arizona +150
Miami +153
Seattle -108

Last edited:
April 21st games so far (looks like there will likely be a couple more by tomorrow, but these are the early lines I'm taking so far

Tampa Bay +141
Arizona +150
Miami +153
Seattle -108

Woohoo! 4-0 on the early games today :)

Today's games are

Minnesota +139
Cleveland +102
LA Angels -118
Miami +155

Apr 23rd games are:

Minnesota +118
Oakland +135

Update: Adding in 2 more:
Baltimore + 109
San Diego +148

Last edited:
Apr 24th games are:

Minnesota +190
Cincinnati +145
Baltimore +145
Miami -105

I was gonna make a thread about this but this thread seems good. Just wanted to point out that at the start of the season, Leicester City were a 5000-1 to win the English Premier League and they are possibly just a handful of games away from doing so. Fucking 5000 to 1. Thats +500,000. GD SMH

April 25th games are:

Oakland +145
LA Angels -120
Miami +125
Cincinnati +194
San Diego +174

Adding in
NY Yankees -109 line moved, couldn't get it in time
CHI White Sox +165

Last edited:
2 games so far for April 26:

Philadelphia +181
Atlanta +155

The Braves are so bad this year... Not that they were good last year, but just trying to watch them play is nauseating lol

Apr 27 bets are:

Miami +165
Philadelphia +182
Atlanta +165
San Diego +160

Updating to add:
Cincinnati +200
Houston +122

Last edited:
You know what would make this more exciting for some of us to follow? Posting results. Not just the game results, but the money results.

I'm not interested in the baseball, but curious about the performance of your model.

I'm not interested enough to do the math myself though.

Also, Grand Salami bets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom