So glad i found you guys. The journey of an european to PCF. (2 Viewers)

OfficerLovejoy

Full House
Reaction score
I've been playing poker for roughly 20 years now. Back when i was 16 playing weekly with friends with cents as chips until we invested in those glorious dice chips.

I got into online poker during the boom in 2004 and cleared a set of 300 Nevada Jacks as a promotional bonus on a pokersite ("absolute poker", for those old enough to remember)
Been using those for the last 16 years, for my micro stakes 5ct/10ct homegame. Without knowing when exactly it begun, i developed an urge for a new chipset that isn't ceramics.
Never liked the high pitched sound the nevada jacks make when handling although i do have a soft spot for the artwork and the colors.

Google brought me to apachepoker where i ordered a sample set of their portfolio and after some thought settled on 500 china clays (the bank chips), since the pricepoint of a paulson set seemed ridiculous at that time. That and the denominations would not work for my microstakes homegame, since those usually include $1 that i have no use for. I've been using the $ value as ct, which has been working out quite well so far.

At this point i was aware that PCF existed but i didn't do a deep dive yet and i had just read through the apachepoker subforum.
To pass the time, waiting for my order to reach europe, i read through my first chip pr0n thread here on PCF... oh boy... suddenly my perspective changed a little on what a great set looks like.
While reading up, i discovered that i actually do own 3 paulson chips already. Two included in the sampleset from apachepoker plus a single $1 (no stripes) from that one trip to the flamingo in vegas a few years back. Since then i've been "shuffling" those 3 chips permanently while browsing PCF going deeper and deeper down the rabbithole.
I am still looking forward to my china clay order... but i know in my heart this is not the end of it.

Welcome at PCF...the EU chip army is growing every day :)
I gathered it is pretty hard to put a mixed set together here in europe since you have to pay for shipping for every small find you might manage.
This plus you just don't find any chips other than dice in garage sales over here.
How do you do it?

I gathered it is pretty hard to put a mixed set together here in europe since you have to pay for shipping for every small find you might manage.
This plus you just don't find any chips other than dice in garage sales over here.
How do you do it?

Welcome! I already feel sorry for your wallet :LOL: :laugh:

I'm in the UK and just finished putting my first Paulson set together. It was made from around 95% USA purchases and as you mention single order shipping to Europe can get expensive!! I have a friend in New York who has taken all of my orders and is currently preparing one parcel to send to the UK. If you have any contacts in the US this is the more cost efficient way of getting good chips.

Good luck :)

Welcome! I already feel sorry for your wallet :LOL: :laugh:

I'm in the UK and just finished putting my first Paulson set together. It was made from around 95% USA purchases and as you mention single order shipping to Europe can get expensive!! I have a friend in New York who has taken all of my orders and is currently preparing one parcel to send to the UK. If you have any contacts in the US this is the more cost efficient way of getting good chips.

Good luck :)
That is a great idea, i actually do know a family in minnesota. =)
And thank you for your condolences for my wallet. Already posted my first "dibs if split" on a rack of Ambassador $100's in the classifieds. ;)

How do you do it?

Like @mattross1313 posted, when you are active on the forum (discussions, polls, hand reviews, ...) you will get to know the members over here.
I've been chipping for a while now and if you do good (be positive, tag members to help in their search, ...) then the community will be good for you.

There are plenty members out there that are willing to hold & combine small lots to save on shipping.
In the beginning this maybe difficult, if you need help with this (or with international shipping) then send me a PM

Have fun :)

Like @mattross1313 posted, when you are active on the forum (discussions, polls, hand reviews, ...) you will get to know the members over here.
I've been chipping for a while now and if you do good (be positive, tag members to help in their search, ...) then the community will be good for you.

There are plenty members out there that are willing to hold & combine small lots to save on shipping.
In the beginning this maybe difficult, if you need help with this (or with international shipping) then send me a PM

Have fun :)
Absolutely agree with this too. I've met some great folks in my short time on the forum, all more than happy to help with things like this.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

For EU member is hard to see these awesome chips, to difficult to buy for us :(

Hi Carlos, can imagine it's hard to get your feet wet...

But take your time, buying international is not impossible...just expensive ;)
Choose wise, find the info you need (it's all available on PCF) and start saving up.

The hunt is often nicer then the kill/prize

Well and here I am, willing to spend 2k for a great cashgame set for my microstakes homegame 10ct/10ct. Excited to embark on this journey. :D

2K is a lot of mullah....spend them wise (and take your time to check your options)

And since this is also customs budget...do check out CPC chips from @David Spragg or offerings like Key West @dennis63
Check the Hungry Frog card club...made by a fellow German member (who left the chipping scene a few years back)

Already ordered samples from CPC, that is where this big number came from. I would be perfectly fine to only spend like 1200, but no chance if i go with CPC.
I am really concerned about their weights and colors though. Did not hear a lot of good things compared to paulsons... but that is what the samples are for. =)

Did not hear a lot of good things compared to paulsons...

CPC is the only company that still offers custom clay chips...only for that they are AWSOME
Besides that, all chips have their strong & weak point...but please check this thread to see some awsome possibilities with CPC.
Paulson are much softer chips with a different production method, you can't compair apples & oranges....both are great fruit

Yeah, i did a mockup for a potential cashgame myself already in their design tool. Really cool stuff. I'll just wait for the samples to be able to weigh the pros and cons.

Here's the cashgame set that i was playing around with. Got some inspiration here and there, but no full set to base it off on. And yeah, the denoms are pretty close to each other, but we have been playing a 5ct/10ct for the last 5 years, don't expect us to play much bigger than 10ct/20ct at any point soon. The inlays are placeholders obviously.
9b201590-f512-4d22-a82b-e0d9add4496f.png

Here's the cashgame set that i was playing around with. Got some inspiration here and there, but no full set to base it off on. And yeah, the denoms are pretty close to each other, but we have been playing a 5ct/10ct for the last 5 years, don't expect us to play much bigger than 10ct/20ct at any point soon. The inlays are placeholders obviously.
View attachment 551554
If you’re still planning on keeping 10c as your base chip could try the following denominations.

10c
50c
$2.50
$10
$50

Ideally you want the next chip up to be 4 or 5 times the value.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom