Cash Game Small Friendly Cash Game Breakdown Question (1 Viewer)

Hunter_Makoy

High Hand
Reaction score
I'd like to get a new set for just family games 5-6 people. These will be nickel and dime games with $10 buy ins. I'm going to get something nice like Atlantic Club chips so I'm trying to keep it small (200 chips)

I'm thinking maybe just three demons (60 5s, 100 25s, 40 100s) Does this breakdown sound right? I don't think I will actually need any 500s to make change. I was thinking 30 100s and 10 500s to make some change, but I think the 60, 100, 40 will work fine, and be a better set for resale later on.

Starting stacks
10 5s
18 25s
5 100s

10, 14, and 6 for 6 person games.

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Get a set of ceramics with the actual denominations you want on them. That way, you can get exactly what you want and not need to cap yourself on the size of the set and then have to explain why it says one thing on the chip but means another thing.

200 felt really short for 5-6 people let's try; for a 5c/10c $10 buy in stake I will recommended at least a 300 chip set

5 x 100
25 x 100
100 x 60
500 x 40

will give you a healthy bank of $290

You can prob play up to 8 handed, and cash can come into play if all your chips are in play

Get a set of ceramics with the actual denominations you want on them. That way, you can get exactly what you want and not need to cap yourself on the size of the set and then have to explain why it says one thing on the chip but means another thing.
The AC chips don’t have dollar signs so I have no problem just telling people they mean cents.

200 felt really short for 5-6 people let's try; for a 5c/10c $10 buy in stake I will recommended at least a 300 chip set

5 x 100
25 x 100
100 x 60
500 x 40

will give you a healthy bank of $290

You can prob play up to 8 handed, and cash can come into play if all your chips are in play
4-5 people is really more likely I just wanted to be able to fit in 6 if I can. Also, there are no re buys in this. So I’m curious, with five people, what other pitfalls do you see besides just people making change in the pot? I’m new to this so I don’t know what else to watch out for. Also, do you have an alternative starting stack that you think would work better?

Thanks for your input everyone!

Are you looking for Tourney instead as there is always need to prepare for Rebuy in Cash Game.

So if 4 person playing and 1 person run of of chip does the person just going to leave the game and 3 person carry on playing until last person standing win? That will be Tourney

Are you looking for Tourney instead as there is always need to prepare for Rebuy in Cash Game.

So if 4 person playing and 1 person run of of chip does the person just going to leave the game and 3 person carry on playing until last person standing win? That will be Tourney
Not necessarily. In essence it would almost be like a tourney but you could cash out at any time too. There also won’t be progressive blinds.

Like I said this is really a family game. This isn’t for meeting up on poker night where that’s literally the only thing going on. Someone who is out isn’t going to be stuck there doing nothing. This is a casual game too. People aren’t shoving left and right with people getting knocked out quick due to aggressiveness.

Sorry mate, you lost me even in a casual game there will be cooler situation and short stack will be pot committed too in some hand too and quite be busted out early stage.

Too many house rule or format that you are using here so what I suggesting are for a Regular NLH Cash Game

I not sure if I know what your ideal breakdown of cash game in your case, maybe someone else who had similar history/experience can help you out

Last edited:
10 nickels per player is plenty, maybe too many. It’s changed as my game has evolved, but if I had 8 players, a couple barrels of nickels is enough.

Our game used to have a lot of limping and min raises, but now, most opens are to 50¢, and nickels are hardly ever used besides blinds. And once the crew gets used to making change efficiently, you won’t mind having a just a few blind chips on the table.

Quarters will probably be your workhorse, but I’d worry that a bank of $68 won’t be enough. If I were trying to keep my set small, I’d get 60/140/80/20 for 300 chips, and a bank of just over $200. Or forget the $5 chips, and let $5 or $10 bills play if you run out of $1’s.

Last edited:
What if u bust out uncle Bob 1st hand of the night and he wants to play more...u gonna tell him no???

Unless you're playing fixed limit, plan for 3 buy ins per person. Also more chips = more fun! So in a family 5c/10c game with $10 being the "standard," I'd probably go with 100 of each of nickels, quarters and dollars that supports

- 4 players have 3 buy ins
- 5 players with 2.5
- 6 players with 2.

10 nickels per player is plenty, maybe too many. It’s changed as my game has evolved, but if I had 8 players, a couple barrels of nickels is enough.

Our game used to have a lot of limping and min raises, but now, most opens are to 50¢, and nickels are hardly ever used besides blinds. And once the crew gets used to making change efficiently, you won’t mind having a just a few blind chips on the table.

Quarters will probably be your workhorse, but I’d worry that a bank of $68 won’t be enough. If I were trying to keep my set small, I’d get 60/140/80/20 for 300 chips, and a bank of just over $200. Or forget the $5 chips, and let $5 or $10 bills play if you run out of $1’s.
Yeah everyone already makes change plenty, and in all the times we've played we've almost never had anyone bust out before we decide to call it a night. I have also been working on an alternative stack for 80/80/40 set with 15/14/6 for 4-5 people, but you are saying 10 is plenty on nickels and I've seen that several places too. The 10/18/5 breakdown is actually from the cash game mapping thread from this site lol, I just changed it to 100bb instead of 200.

What if u bust out uncle Bob 1st hand of the night and he wants to play more...u gonna tell him no???

Unless you're playing fixed limit, plan for 3 buy ins per person. Also more chips = more fun! So in a family 5c/10c game with $10 being the "standard," I'd probably go with 100 of each of nickels, quarters and dollars that supports

- 4 players have 3 buy ins
- 5 players with 2.5
- 6 players with 2.
If Uncle Bob's busting out on the first hand and wanted to play more, maybe I would tell him no. Learn some discipline next time Bob! lol There's dishes to clean in the kitchen while he waits for the next game. :p But no one in my family plays that way, that's why I'm not worried about that now. If, as time goes on, people get more aggressive, as has happened in a lot of games then I can always add on. I don't think CPC is going anywhere (although I do know they prices are about to go up for next year)
Edit: Also, Bob could always try to buy the chips directly from the person who won them, right? Plus, if its a quick night where half to people bust out early but wanted to keep playing, we could always have a break, cash everyone out, and then buy back in and start over.

If I did go with a 100/100/100 set to make re buys possible for everyone, what starting stacks do you recommend?

Last edited:
If Uncle Bob's busting out on the first hand and wanted to play more, maybe I would tell him no. Learn some discipline next time Bob! lol There's dishes to clean in the kitchen while he waits for the next game. :p But no one in my family plays that way, that's why I'm not worried about that now. If, as time goes on, people get more aggressive, as has happened in a lot of games then I can always add on. I don't think CPC is going anywhere (although I do know they prices are about to go up for next year)
Edit: Also, Bob could always try to buy the chips directly from the person who won them, right? Plus, if its a quick night where half to people bust out early but wanted to keep playing, we could always have a break, cash everyone out, and then buy back in and start over.

If I did go with a 100/100/100 set to make re buys possible for everyone, what starting stacks do you recommend?
A lot of these features of your game are non-standard. Not that that’s bad—it’s your game, and if you all have fun and spend time together, that’s really what it’s all about. I’ve played in some games with weird rules, and I’ve had a blast.

It seems a little like you do a cash/tournament hybrid. Chips correlate to a cash value (cash game), but players who bust can’t rebuy, and you’ll cash everyone out at a certain point, and start a new game (tourney).

Cash games typically have a buy-in range (mine is $5-$20) and people can add on or rebuy to the max at any time. And all the money stays on the table till you leave. For instance, if someone starts with $10 and wins a $25 pot, he can’t put the $15 profit in his pocket and keep playing. The rest of the players get the opportunity to win that money back.

Again, a non-standard game can be fun, but different types of games require different chipsets. I can run a 10-player tourney with rebuys with 300 chips, but an active 10-player cash game probably will need 600-800.

Also, CPC chips are fantastic, and I’m sure you’ll love them. But as someone suggested earlier, ceramics can be partially or fully personalized and are excellent chips, and will allow you to get a more versatile set for the same amount of money.

A lot of these features of your game are non-standard. Not that that’s bad—it’s your game, and if you all have fun and spend time together, that’s really what it’s all about. I’ve played in some games with weird rules, and I’ve had a blast.

It seems a little like you do a cash/tournament hybrid. Chips correlate to a cash value (cash game), but players who bust can’t rebuy, and you’ll cash everyone out at a certain point, and start a new game (tourney).

Cash games typically have a buy-in range (mine is $5-$20) and people can add on or rebuy to the max at any time. And all the money stays on the table till you leave. For instance, if someone starts with $10 and wins a $25 pot, he can’t put the $15 profit in his pocket and keep playing. The rest of the players get the opportunity to win that money back.

Again, a non-standard game can be fun, but different types of games require different chipsets. I can run a 10-player tourney with rebuys with 300 chips, but an active 10-player cash game probably will need 600-800.

Also, CPC chips are fantastic, and I’m sure you’ll love them. But as someone suggested earlier, ceramics can be partially or fully personalized and are excellent chips, and will allow you to get a more versatile set for the same amount of money.
Yes I certainly wouldn’t have anyone partially cash out. It is more of a tourney cash game hybrid as you put it.

I understand about the ceramics I’m just not a fan. The only thing I don’t like about the AC chips actually is how tinny they sound. Lol. I’m also picking AC because I believe it will have a much better resale value if things change in the future (especially the hhr mold)

Yes I certainly wouldn’t have anyone partially cash out. It is more of a tourney cash game hybrid as you put it.

I understand about the ceramics I’m just not a fan. The only thing I don’t like about the AC chips actually is how tinny they sound. Lol
You think CPC’s sound tinny? Each mold has its own feel and sound, but I’d not describe any of them as tinny. Maybe “clacky”. :D

You think CPC’s sound tinny? Each mold has its own feel and sound, but I’d not describe any of them as tinny. Maybe “clacky”. :D
Well let’s just say they have a lighter sound then what I would prefer.

As far as personalized chips, I envision doing that more for actual tournaments if that ever happened.

Well let’s just say they have a lighter sound then what I would prefer.

As far as personalized chips, I envision doing that more for actual tournaments if that ever happened.
Just curious—are there chips that you prefer the sound of?

Plus, if its a quick night where half to people bust out early but wanted to keep playing, we could always have a break, cash everyone out, and then buy back in and start over.
Yes I certainly wouldn’t have anyone partially cash out.
I think you're confused as to the rules of your own game. Which is why it's difficult to give you advice. If there are no rebuys, your breakdown is fine. As is literally any breakdown that includes at least a few of each denom. With no added chips, or coloring up to worry about, it really doesn't matter.

So just keep playing how you have been, and enjoy!

I think you're confused as to the rules of your own game. Which is why it's difficult to give you advice. If there are no rebuys, your breakdown is fine. As is literally any breakdown that includes at least a few of each denom. With no added chips, or coloring up to worry about, it really doesn't matter.

So just keep playing how you have been, and enjoy!
No confusion. No one re buys in the middle of an ongoing game, and no one can cash out part of their chips and keep playing in the same game.

You can cash out in the middle of a game if you just want to call it quits, but you can’t cash out half your chips. We could also cash out everyone left and then start over with a new game giving people who busted out a chance to “rebuy” but it would be in a brand new game.

As many as you can get on the table IMO. For 5 players:

PXL_20211219_195654241.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom