Skin Cancer Awareness (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Back in early August I went in for a biopsy of a mole on my arm that had changed drastically and rapidly. The mole had been a small light brown circle, similar to the dozens of other moles I have. Seemingly overnight it had morphed into a straight edged, multi colored monstrosity.

Sure enough, the biopsy results came back as melanoma. Luckily, it was only "in-situ", or stage 0, meaning the cancer was only spreading on the first layer of skin and was non invasive. The next day I had a bar of soap size chunk of skin + top layer of fat removed from my forearm. It'll leave a gnarly scar, but I'm lucky we caught it so early.

I'm only 29. After talking with friends and family, a common response seemed to be a blend of "I thought only old people get that" and "Skin cancer isn't that serious." As such, I'm taking my experience as a chance to remind everyone to be vigilant about their skin, especially if you note any changes, and educate yourself on the risk factors and signs of skin cancer, particularly melanoma. Caught early it is almost 100% curable; caught late is a death sentence.

Stay safe guys!

Last edited:
be vigilant about their skin, especially if you note any changes, and educate yourself on the risk factors and signs of skin cancer, particularly melanoma. Caught early it is almost 100% curable; caught late is a death sentence.

First off, fuck cancer. I hate it.

Second, all truth. Thanks for sharing! My dad had multiple cancerous moles & legions removed from his hed & neck area. Always caught early & never spread, but he rarely wore sunscreen when he first moved out here & that caught up to him later in life. As you said, though, it's not just a disease that afflicts older folks - skin cancer can hit anyone.

Take care of yourself & don't ignore the warning signs. Get checked regularly!

Yes, get an annual check-up with a reputable dermatologist!

IMAG0653.jpg

My primary care doc does a mapping of all my moles and spots in my annual physical. I should probably see a dermatologist instead to be extra safe since I have insurance, and it's a pretty easy appointment. Nice PSA.

Good for you it was caught early. I've had two AK (pre-cancer not anywhere near as serious as melanoma) lesions removed.

Christ, was that a biopsy, or did you get implanted with a tracker?!

The tracker would explain a lot. :p

Nothing serious, they removed an AK spot as a precaution in 2012. I was playing cards at the 'shoe that night. :LOL: :laugh:

Great post.

I go every 12 months for a full body, skin cancer check - pretty common in Australia as unfortunately we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world.

Cancer is an insidious disease and if something like a simple skin check can catch it early, it really is a no brainer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom