Tourney Single table payout structure. (1 Viewer)

renegadegatorman

High Hand
Reaction score
I'm going to be hosting my first tournament for my friend group that has been playing cash games regularly for the past two+ years. It's going to be single table 9-10 players and I'm struggling on the payout structure. I know it may seem high for STT but I'd like to payout top three that way some of the less skilled players are incentivised to participate.

For a top three payout what percentage of the prize pool should go to first, second, and third place?

Top 3 isnt too high at all, good for you. That will be fun.

Out of 10, pay top 3 out of total prize pool:
3rd is 20%
2nd is 30%
1st is 50%

if its a single table, another offer is 3rd gets their money back, and 2nd gets half of whatever 1st makes. Thats the payout my group has settled on, they like a more top heavy game with less thinking.

Anywhere from top 10% to 25% is normal, typically a STT pays more places than a MTT. For a small home game, paying 1/3 seems fine. If you had 15 entranty, for example, I probably would pay 4 not 5 though.

Last edited:
Out of 10, pay top 3 out of total prize pool:
3rd is 20%
2nd is 30%
1st is 50%

if its a single table, another offer is 3rd gets their money back, and 2nd gets half of whatever 1st makes. Thats the payout my group has settled on, they like a more top heavy game with less thinking.

both of these are very good options, imo

Depending on the format I usually pay 4 spots on a 10 handed STT with a flattened out pay structure, my last game was £30 + £10 add-on (10 entries, 10 add-ons) and paid out (£400 prizepool)
1st - £150
2nd - £110
3rd - £80
4th - £60
The flatter pay structure discourages deals a bit and I find creates a more sociable/friendly game rather as the prizepool being top heavy which in my experience encourages a more aggressive in the money environ, which is fine when your not at the table with 9 of your friends.

For small home tournaments, common payouts typically range from 20% to 33% of field size, so paying 2 or 3 players in a 9-10 player field is certainly within the acceptable norm.

When paying 2 players, common payouts are 70%/30%, 65%/35%, or 60%/40%.

When paying 3 players, common payouts are 60%/30%10%, 55%/30%/15%, or 50%/30%/20%.

Personally, I tend to use the middle option in both cases.

Last edited:
Depending on the format I usually pay 4 spots on a 10 handed STT with a flattened out pay structure, my last game was £30 + £10 add-on (10 entries, 10 add-ons) and paid out (£400 prizepool)
1st - £150
2nd - £110
3rd - £80
4th - £60
The flatter pay structure discourages deals a bit and I find creates a more sociable/friendly game rather as the prizepool being top heavy which in my experience encourages a more aggressive in the money environ, which is fine when your not at the table with 9 of your friends.
I'm just a little confused what you mean by flat pay structure. Is it just a flat percentage? I like the idea of paying out top 4, makes sense for a game among friends.

For small home tournaments, common payouts typically range from 20% to 33% of field size, so paying 2 or 3 players in a 9-10 player field is certainly within the acceptable norm.

When paying 2 players, common payouts are 70%/30%, 65%/35%, or 60%/40%.

When paying 3 players, common payouts are 60%/30%10%, 55%/30%/15%, or 50%/40%/30%.

Personally, I tend to use the middle option in both cases.
I think I'm gonna go with the 55/30/15 for my first tourney, if the players don't like it I could always change it for the next one.

I typically did last paid place either got it's money back, or a little bit more for larger tournaments.

An alternate to 50/30/20 is 3/2/1 ratio. That offers more separation between 3rd and 2nd.

I developed a payout chart in increments of $5. I sort of based it on a 5/4/3/2/1 payout, but set it up so that 1st never took less (in actual payout) when there was another payout spot. When you add a payout spot, someone getting a payout is going to get less than a 1 player smaller tournament. I'd always make those the lowest payout slots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom