Cash Game Single blind for short handed games? (1 Viewer)

JScott

Flush
Reaction score
I usually run a Max 6 game. 25¢/25¢ or 25¢/50¢.

tonight we have a small crew of 4 (maybe 5). Was wondering if any of you ever ran a single blind game with one 50¢ Blind? Seems like it could be a good idea with a short handed game. Same amount in the middle, and you’re not in blinds half the time.

admittedly I just want to use my IOC’s which only have 50¢ fracs. ;)

The biggest adjustment I would expect would be more "raise-it take-it" hands with only one person in the pot to defend instead of two.

That may be good or bad, trying it once is the best way to see.

Typically with four or fewer we provide an option for a single big blind.

The biggest adjustment I would expect would be more "raise-it take-it" hands with only one person in the pot to defend instead of two.

That may be good or bad, trying it once is the best way to see.
This ^^. But I’d expect it to be somewhat countered by fewer times that it folds around and the blinds just chop?

Well, the game was played with a single blind for a couple of decades, so that’s something...

I enjoy 5 and even 4-handed poker quite a bit, just not playing hold-em.
IMO a 5-man table is the perfect time to explore draw poker. 2-7 Triple-draw, single draw low old-school (with a big fat single blind & one joker card), even 5-card stud gets hairy with that few players.

Have fun with it!

I always think the more blinds the better. 4 handed I would be doing 25/25/50.

Well it was a success, we usually play 25¢/25¢ like I said, and most people buy in for $20, so there are a lot more rebuys and shoves. I recommend $50 buy ins for that game, but usually I’m the only one.

Last night with 4 of us we played the single 50¢ blind w/$50 stacks and had no shoves until the short stacks were low. It ended up being a fun game. Admittedly there’s a lot of limping due to it being a soft game, so I did introduce some PLO.

I’d do it again for sure.

Well it was a success, we usually play 25¢/25¢ like I said, and most people buy in for $20, so there are a lot more rebuys and shoves. I recommend $50 buy ins for that game, but usually I’m the only one.

Last night with 4 of us we played the single 50¢ blind w/$50 stacks and had no shoves until the short stacks were low. It ended up being a fun game. Admittedly there’s a lot of limping due to it being a soft game, so I did introduce some PLO.

I’d do it again for sure.
i like this idea a lot, especially with covid putting a damper on games. do you think it would just as well for 5?

we have always have a straddle with shorthanded games....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooon

we have always have a straddle with shorthanded games....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooon
Not a fan of straddles but I agree with the sentiment - short handed games are like heads-up in that they’re much more about guile than cards. You gotta get in there and mix it up.

i like this idea a lot, especially with covid putting a damper on games. do you think it would just as well for 5?
It works extremely well for 5 imo.

it’s not great for action obviously, but it worked well for guys to start actually folding pre. Slightly less profitable for me as I exploit the shit out of these players, but rather than stacks flying, it was a good solid game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom