Tourney Short Deck - Ante Only Tourney (1 Viewer)

LeLe

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hi PCF,

Does anyone have any experience in Hosting / Playing a Short Deck - Ante Only Tourney? Tried to search but couldn't find any decent one

With reference to the following, I thinking of making a Similar 3 x Bullet
https://triton-series.com/wp-conten...Poker_Booklet_Madrid_Structure_220427_ev3.jpg

But instead of the starting level 500 / 1000, I will be experimenting out as 50c / $1

What will be a good starting stack for the above structure ?

Option 1 : 6/12/12/1 500/1k/5k/25k for the 1st bullet and 10/2 5k/25k for the remaining 2 bullet or
Option 2 : 6/12/12/1 for 1st 2 bullet and 4 x 25k for the 3rd bullet

What will be a good breakdown of the chip set for a STT or 2 Table Tourney ?

Any resource or reference will be appreciated

Last edited:
Hi PCF,

Does anyone have any experience in Hosting / Playing a Short Deck - Ante Only Tourney? Tried to search but couldn't find any decent one

With reference to the following, I thinking of making a Similar 3 x Bullet
https://triton-series.com/wp-conten...Poker_Booklet_Madrid_Structure_220427_ev3.jpg

But instead of the starting level 500 / 1000, I will be experimenting out as 50c / $1

What will be a good starting stack for the above structure ?

What will be a good breakdown of the chip set for a STT or 2 Table Tourney ?

Any resource or reference will be appreciated
Just look at the structure used in the WSOP short deck event and adjust as you see fit.

https://www.wsop.com/pdfs/structuresheets/structure_4943_20360.pdf

They played 6 handed.

Capture.JPG

Using the WSOP table above, seem like 10/10/14 100/500/1k for 1st bullet will work with both add-on in 5k

So a total of 60/60/84/48 100/500/1k/5k will be needed for starting stack

Throw in 6 * 1k for Colouring Up 100
and 6 * 5k for Colouring Up 500 and 6 * 5k for bonus

A total of 270 chips set 60/60/90/60 for a STT set-up with 3 bullet each

90/60 seem like a good ratio for Head-up Chip

Or 10/10/9/1 100/500/1K/5K for 1st bullet and both add on in 5K

So a Total of 60/60/54/54 will be required

Throw in 6 * 1k for Colouring Up 100
and 6 * 5k for Colouring Up 500 and no Bonus

A total of 240 chip set of 60/60/60/60 for a STT Set-up with 3 bullet each

But 60/60 will be the ratio for Head-up Chip

Last edited:
A friend of mine is running a short deck tourney. This is his structure.

$40 Buy-in - 20 Min blinds - 5,000 Chips + 2 lamers for 5k each (see below)

$$$ Pay-outs $$$

1st place - 50%
2nd place - 25%
3rd place - 15%
4th place - 10%
(Top 3 with less than 16 players)

The tournament will last approximately 5 hours. Seating is limited to 24 players. (6 max tables) Please reserve your seat in advance!! The final table will form with 7 players left.

NEW: At the start of the tournament, you will be given 5,000 in chips and 2 lamers worth 5,000 each. At any point between hands you can cash in any or all of your lamers for 5,000 more chips each. All lamers must be cashed out at the end of the 250/500 Level.

Short Deck Poker

The game is played like standard NLHE with a couple exceptions..

1. The cards two through five are removed from the deck. This makes Flushes less likely than full houses.

2. Aces wrap around, so the lowest straight is A-6-7-8-9

3. For betting, each player posts the Small Blind, while the button posts the Big Blind with action starting to the left of the dealer

4. The Hand Ranks are as follows. Note that Flushes beat Full Houses

Royal Flush
Straight Flush
4 of a Kind
Flush
Full House

Straight
3 of a Kind
2 Pair
1 Pair
High Card

Blind Schedule

Level 1: 25/50
Level 2: 50/100
Level 3: 75/150
Level 4: 100/200
Level 5: 150/300
Level 6: 200/400
Level 7: 250/500 (Colour up 25 chips)
Level 8: 300/600
Level 9: 400/800
Level 10: 500/1k
Level 11: 700/1.4k (Colour up 100 chips)
Level 12: 1k/2k
Level 13 : 1.5k/3k (Colour up 500 chips)
Level 14: 2k/4k
Level 15: 3k/6k
Level 16: 4k/8k
Level 17: 5k/10k
Level 18: 7k/14k
Level 19: 10k/20k

Plays better as pot limit preflop, most hand vs range equity are too close preflop for ICM effect of bubble or payjumps

I ran a tourney like this last month. Here's what we did:
  • $30 buy-in for 3 25k bullets. I gave each player 1 25k starting stack, along with 2 25k chips which weren't in play initially. Whenever someone needed another bullet I converted their 25k chip to 5 5k or similar. 1 rebuy for another 3 bullets was allowed (I was the only one that ended up needing it lol).
  • After the break (end of the rebuy period) any remaining 25k chips were added to the live stacks and were in play. (Average stack at that point was 83k, but there were quite a few players between 20-50k). At this point a 75k starting stack was 50 antes, so there were a few people down to under 20 antes left.
  • We played 6 max until down to final 7, but since we ended up with 8 players for most of the night we decided that whenever someone had to use a new bullet they would switch to the other table (swapping with whoever had been dealer last) so as to get to play with different people throughout the course of the night.
  • Used an ante structure, as seen below. 20 minute levels. With the antes moving things along it finished a lot more quickly than it would have using blinds. I don't remember exactly when, but we didn't come close to using all of these levels. It was probably around level 11-13.
Overall impression: it was an absolute blast, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is certainly a game where you end up all-in frequently, which is why the 3 initial bullets help everyone have some room to play aggressively without facing an immediate elimination/rebuy. Corollary to that though is once all of the bullets are in play things go really quickly and there are a lot of huge pots with 60-40 type odds. If you group has a lot of gambol though they should love it.

1658935756073.png

Also worth noting if you are planning STT that with only 36 cards in the deck, at 7 handed you already have over half the cards in the deck in play each hand, which means that someone always has something. There's a good reason this game is normally 6 max.

Forgot to mention as well that we had the dealer post a double ante (so other players' initial options are to complete, raise or fold). To me it seems weird to call this an ante but it seems that's what Triton and WSOP do so not going to argue with it. And I would highly recommend against playing this with blinds instead of antes. We did that a few years ago and it played totally different because there wasn't enough in the pot to force action, whereas the point of short-deck is high action.

I also found that with antes instead of blinds and the amount of limped pots (since limping is often correct in this game) you end up using more of the lowest denom chips than you might in an equivalent NLHE tournament.

Also worth noting if you are planning STT that with only 36 cards in the deck, at 7 handed you already have over half the cards in the deck in play each hand, which means that someone always has something. There's a good reason this game is normally 6 max.

Forgot to mention as well that we had the dealer post a double ante (so other players' initial options are to complete, raise or fold). To me it seems weird to call this an ante but it seems that's what Triton and WSOP do so not going to argue with it. And I would highly recommend against playing this with blinds instead of antes. We did that a few years ago and it played totally different because there wasn't enough in the pot to force action, whereas the point of short-deck is high action.

I also found that with antes instead of blinds and the amount of limped pots (since limping is often correct in this game) you end up using more of the lowest denom chips than you might in an equivalent NLHE tournament.
Thanks, our group do have experience playing Short deck, they are more popular in ASIA before Covid and we played a lot of short deck.

That's a time when my group just grow tired of playing NLH only

I ran a tourney like this last month. Here's what we did:
  • $30 buy-in for 3 25k bullets. I gave each player 1 25k starting stack, along with 2 25k chips which weren't in play initially. Whenever someone needed another bullet I converted their 25k chip to 5 5k or similar. 1 rebuy for another 3 bullets was allowed (I was the only one that ended up needing it lol).
  • After the break (end of the rebuy period) any remaining 25k chips were added to the live stacks and were in play. (Average stack at that point was 83k, but there were quite a few players between 20-50k). At this point a 75k starting stack was 50 antes, so there were a few people down to under 20 antes left.
  • We played 6 max until down to final 7, but since we ended up with 8 players for most of the night we decided that whenever someone had to use a new bullet they would switch to the other table (swapping with whoever had been dealer last) so as to get to play with different people throughout the course of the night.
  • Used an ante structure, as seen below. 20 minute levels. With the antes moving things along it finished a lot more quickly than it would have using blinds. I don't remember exactly when, but we didn't come close to using all of these levels. It was probably around level 11-13.
Overall impression: it was an absolute blast, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is certainly a game where you end up all-in frequently, which is why the 3 initial bullets help everyone have some room to play aggressively without facing an immediate elimination/rebuy. Corollary to that though is once all of the bullets are in play things go really quickly and there are a lot of huge pots with 60-40 type odds. If you group has a lot of gambol though they should love it.

View attachment 956302
Will be planning a triple bullet structure as well with 3 x 1k or 2k stack with starting level $5 ante.

But will be doing a bonus 500 for each extra bullet is that is not used by the first break

It will only be STT as my session usually play 6 or 7 handed cash game and not full ring

Last edited:
From experience, Short Deck will required 20 of the smallest denom to flow nicely. As compared to NLH we really only need 10 lowest denomination on average

Thanks, our group do have experience playing Short deck, they are more popular in ASIA before Covid and we played a lot of short deck.
I forget that you're over there. Makes things a lot simpler if you have a group that's already used to it. It's a pretty big shift for our players, but I run the league so I get to do what I want at least a few times a year and short deck is always on my short list of special events.

I forget that you're over there. Makes things a lot simpler if you have a group that's already used to it. It's a pretty big shift for our players, but I run the league so I get to do what I want at least a few times a year and short deck is always on my short list of special events.
The hard part for me is getting the right length for tourney and also learning hosting tourney since all the public home game in Singapore are 100% cash only.

I did a tourney once and feedback is too long Etc, will be trying a more turbo version next time round.

The hard part for me is getting the right length for tourney and also learning hosting tourney since all the public home game in Singapore are 100% cash only.

I did a tourney once and feedback is too long Etc, will be trying a more turbo version next time round.
How long did the one that was "too long" last?

if that's too long then multiple bullets might not be a great idea for them... but i think any tournament under 3 hours is pointless

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom