Server Maintenance - PMs AKA Private Conversations - 10 DAY NOTICE (1 Viewer)

tenor (3).gif

On MAY 8th, 2020, PMs that have not had a reply in more than 750 days, will be deleted from the database.
If the last message in the PM is ON or BEFORE April 19, 2018, the PM will be deleted. The last message can also be the first message if the PM has no replies.
I've tried to clean up my PM inbox, leaving all conversations that are not active (but still accepting new replies if they are sent). I always fizzle out on my phone somewhere in Page 1.

I appreciate the forced clean up. I know you're trying not to be heavy handed, but 750 days is too long, IMO.

Using the Gallery here to create albums and organize all your pics is a great way to re-use images in your posts and pms.
You may not have noticed, but I tend to use gifs in my responses alot. It's true. Go ahead and verify...I'll wait.

So here's my point/question. 1. If we use media tags (or img tags) rather than uploading an attachment, that doesn't put a physical file on the server, correct? 2. I always assumed Gallery was for chip pics. Are you saying if we are uploading *any* image, use gallery sobas not to create a duplicate image if you reuse the same image later?

So here's my point/question. 1. If we use media tags (or img tags) rather than uploading an attachment, that doesn't put a physical file on the server, correct?

Linked videos do not take up any storage other than the data for the text in the post. Linked images are proxy served by PCF to make sure is it served via SSL. This way you don't get any site unsecured errors from your web browser. Its only cached on the server for 5 days until requested again (ex: someone views the thread/post again), then another 5 days.

2. I always assumed Gallery was for chip pics. Are you saying if we are uploading *any* image, use gallery sobas not to create a duplicate image if you reuse the same image later?

Correct, its purpose is a place for you to organize and showcase your chips and poker table/room related photos. The added benefit is you can embed any photo or album into your posts with just a few clicks and it doesn't take up any more storage space no matter how many time you do it.

Please continue to either externally link/embed (or upload to your post) non-chip related photos. Losing Homer yelling at clouds is OK. ;)

I sort of don't get why old PMs get deleted if freeing space is the goal. Text barely consumes any space compared with uploaded media.

Unless I'm an exception in that most of my PMs consist of text and not a shitload of attachments, I feel like this won't clean so much as if you were to delete only file attachments older than a certain date.

For matters of completeness and traceability I really would like to keep my PMs - at least the text content - without having to resort to manually making a backup of all convos. Did you run calculations how much space will be freed by this-and-that measure? Does pruning PMs really free that much? Is it perhaps possible to just prune file attachments to PMs while keeping the text messages themselves?

Did you run calculations how much space will be freed by this-and-that measure? Does pruning PMs really free that much?

There is no way to know exactly until it is done but based on these numbers, we should reclaim 7 to 10 GB. Attachments include images, PDFs, and Zip files up to 20 MB each.

15,073 PMs
23,158 Attachments

Tommy, is it possible to save the text in batches, or does it have to be done at the individual conversation level?

individual conversations

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom