Semi-Custom Ceramics (2 Viewers)

Skeeter

Two Pair
Reaction score
Just got the proofs of my semi-custom chips for a small cash game. Totally pleased with Steve at BR Pro Poker. These are the Valentino chips with a different name and city, but completely unique to my wife and I. I can't wait to break these out for my monthly game!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 452
I like them. They remind me of "The Valentino" chips. I don't think you need all those denoms though.

Why do you have .25c and .50c chips? And also $1 and $2 chips. Seems like you really wouldn't need all those denoms unless you just like the chips.

I think it would be better to just have .25, $1, and $5 denoms maybe throw in a barrel of $20 or $25 for color ups. I think it would play better

^ agree. Especially with only 400 chips total, you can get a lot more play out of a set that contains just the 25c, $1, and $5 chips. The other denominations just slow down the game and cost you money that could be spent on more useful chips.

^ agree. Especially with only 400 chips total, you can get a lot more play out of a set that contains just the 25c, $1, and $5 chips. The other denominations just slow down the game and cost you money that could be spent on more useful chips.
I thought about those denoms, but decided on these simply because of the group that will be playing. This is only the first set. They were relatively inexpensive and I will be getting the larger denoms as the game and buy in expand. Gotta crawl before you can run, right?

Reactions: 72o
I thought about those denoms, but decided on these simply because of the group that will be playing. This is only the first set. They were relatively inexpensive and I will be getting the larger denoms as the game and buy in expand. Gotta crawl before you can run, right?

No. With useless denoms like .50 and $2, you're telling us that the group that will be playing is not very bright, and you're forcing your game to crawl for a longer time.
(Sorry -- out of sugar this morning...)

No. With useless denoms like .50 and $2, you're telling us that the group that will be playing is not very bright, and you're forcing your game to crawl for a longer time.
(Sorry -- out of sugar this morning...)
No worries, I like the feedback. I prefer the bluntness.

I agree that you won't need the 50 cents chips in the same game that quarters are in, any more than you need half dollars in a pocket full of change (if you're old enough to remember needing a pocket full of change). The $2 chips will play in a 2/4 limit game, though you're probably not ready for that if you only picked up 400 chips.

The forums are full of great info, and the #1 mantra around here is "Get Samples first", but the #2 slogan would likely be "You don't need quarters and 50 chips."

Still, extra chips is not a bad mistake to make, and the Valentino's are a cheap way to make it.

As a heads-up, if/when you get a tournament set, you don't need T50 chips, T1000 and T2000 chips. You can skip the T10,000 as well if you have T5000s.

Just reread the small print in my last post to clarify:
  • You never need T50s. Ever.
  • You will probably need T1000, though some rebels go for T2000s instead. You do not need both, and I dislike the T2000.
  • If you use the T2000, the T5000 will be a stumbling block, and you may need a T10,000 instead.

Ok. Taking the advice from here, I have an opportunity to change the denominations. 400 chips with a minimum buy in of $20 in my games now. What should I get? Need to let Steve know in an hour.

Ready? GO!

120 x 25c
200 x $1
80 x $5
----------------
400 chips
Wish I saw this earlier. I think you could have gone

100 x .25
200 x 1
80 x 5
20 x 20 or 25.

A single rack of quarters is adequate IMO and the extra big chips extends the bank by quite a bit.

However, you'll be fine with what you ordered.

Normally I would agree, but with $20 buy-ins, the quarters will see more action than usual, and $20 or $25 chips will never get used. Or when the game does evolve to where they are needed, he'll need a crap-load more $5 chips first.

I agree with BG... it's good to have some extra Q's to keep feeding them in with the re-buys if people are buying in with $20 often.

Also, the set has $630 in bank... that's 30 buy-ins without counting the $30 in quarters. Even with ten players, most games don't have 30 buy-ins... SOMEONE is going to be winning. Worst case, a couple of twenty-dollar bills can play, until he expands the set some day.

(Although, to be honest, unless the game gets bigger, I'd suggest he expand it with more $5s!)

Normally I would agree, but with $20 buy-ins, the quarters will see more action than usual, and $20 or $25 chips will never get used. Or when the game does evolve to where they are needed, he'll need a crap-load more $5 chips first.

I agree with BG... it's good to have some extra Q's to keep feeding them in with the re-buys if people are buying in with $20 often.

Also, the set has $630 in bank... that's 30 buy-ins without counting the $30 in quarters. Even with ten players, most games don't have 30 buy-ins... SOMEONE is going to be winning. Worst case, a couple of twenty-dollar bills can play, until he expands the set some day.

(Although, to be honest, unless the game gets bigger, I'd suggest he expand it with more $5s!)

I guess this is where my experience differs. I ran a .25/.25 game with $20 buyins, and even though I had 3 racks of quarters, we never needed more than 1 on the table. We did rebuy enough to get into $25 chips, and while more 5s would have been better, the game ran smoothly with minimum change making hassles.

I guess this is where my experience differs. I ran a .25/.25 game with $20 buyins, and even though I had 3 racks of quarters, we never needed more than 1 on the table. We did rebuy enough to get into $25 chips, and while more 5s would have been better, the game ran smoothly with minimum change making hassles.
We will see how it plays out. Ultimately I will have them if necessary, if I need more of something else then I will order more. That's how this sickness works right?

If you're curious perhaps email the company and ask them what the chips cost wholesale.

For $25 buy-in up to 10 players, I'm getting:

200 X 25c = 20 chips per person
200 X $1 = 20 chips per person
50 X $100 = rebuys at 5 X $5 (10 rebuys)

For $50 games, 10 players:

200 X 25c = 20 chips per person
200 X $1 = 20 chips per person
150 X $5 = 5 chips per person
Rebuys = 10 X $5 (10 rebuys)

We will see how it plays out. Ultimately I will have them if necessary, if I need more of something else then I will order more. That's how this sickness works right?
We are totally splitting fine hairs about personal preference. Your final breakdown is gonna be fine. Worst case scenario is to let $20 bills play if you run out of chips. Who knows, maybe your next add on will be a completely new set. Paulsons, TRKs or a custom CPC set.

We are totally splitting fine hairs about personal preference. Your final breakdown is gonna be fine. Worst case scenario is to let $20 bills play if you run out of chips. Who knows, maybe your next add on will be a completely new set. Paulsons, TRKs or a custom CPC set.

My hope is that Paulson will start selling to the public again. If they do, that's the route I'm going.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom