SAVE YOUR MONEY (6 Viewers)

Are you serious? People are building bots to buy chips? I'm doomed ...
People have had bots to buy chips on eBay, Craigslist etc for ages - why do you think it's so damn hard to score on sites like eBay? I know nothing about such things but if your job is in analytics I imagine it would be trivial to build a bot to do pretty much anything.

This is part of the reason why I don't have a set of Paulsons. I'm very happy to buy chips from Jim but I'm not happy to buy chips (at a markup) from someone who bought chips from Jim who was either faster than me or built a bot to beat me to it.

That's also why I like the golden ticket that Jim has done - really nice way to give some people the chance to get chips that they can't normally purely because the demand exceeds the supply so you need fast fingers.

Maybe offer half or 1/3 chips at one hour then another another hour etc.

and those that purchased first hour can not purchase the other times. At least it could be staggered without someone hoarding all first shot

What's the deal with the little symbols on the inlay of the higher primaries? I assume it's some sort of security feature?

Primaries.PNG

What's the deal with the little symbols on the inlay of the higher primaries? I assume it's some sort of security feature?

View attachment 514563
Potentially, but not necessarily. Many times higher denom chips do have a security dot, but I don't think that's the case with these. In this case I think it more likely that it's a requirement of the state gaming commission that chips $25 and up have some type of distinctive shape or design per denomination incorporated into the inlay to visually distinguish them, beyond just the denomination, base color, etc. Unless they've changed it recently, Ohio has a requirement for shaped or faux shaped inlays, thus the faux shaped inlays of the Horseshoe designs from that state. It's possible that these shapes are some form of a security feature, but if they are, it's a fairly weak one unless there's micro-printing in them.

That's also why I like the golden ticket that Jim has done - really nice way to give some people the chance to get chips that they can't normally purely because the demand exceeds the supply so you need fast fingers.

I just searched this thread and cant find reference to a "golden ticket." Would you have any more info please?

People have had bots to buy chips on eBay, Craigslist etc for ages - why do you think it's so damn hard to score on sites like eBay? I know nothing about such things but if your job is in analytics I imagine it would be trivial to build a bot to do pretty much anything.

This is part of the reason why I don't have a set of Paulsons. I'm very happy to buy chips from Jim but I'm not happy to buy chips (at a markup) from someone who bought chips from Jim who was either faster than me or built a bot to beat me to it.

This is probably one of my biggest beefs. People try to determine the hot commodities (chips that will likely have lower quantities) They form an order to maximize their percentages to get as many of those chips as possible and buy them in the hope that people will be desperate enough to finish a set that they'll pay them 2-3 times what they sold for, then sell the other chips that they bought to make percentages at the sale price or less if the demand isn't high (because they're benevolent gods after all). This is my definition of a flipper, and I wish everyone who does this the worst.

We all see them...if people would stop buying their shit they'd likely stop, but there's always someone with deeper pockets and no sense.

I got a Jack Cash set by just being logged in, and hitting refresh at the time of the sale and immediately buying the set. Timing wise I likely just got lucky cause they all sold within like 10 seconds.

I doubt people are using bots for something like this. Now for finding chips deals in the wild... I know for certain there are bots out there :D

This is probably one of my biggest beefs. People try to determine the hot commodities (chips that will likely have lower quantities) They form an order to maximize their percentages to get as many of those chips as possible and buy them in the hope that people will be desperate enough to finish a set that they'll pay them 2-3 times what they sold for, then sell the other chips that they bought to make percentages at the sale price or less if the demand isn't high (because they're benevolent gods after all). This is my definition of a flipper, and I wish everyone who does this the worst.

We all see them...if people would stop buying their shit they'd likely stop, but there's always someone with deeper pockets and no sense.
People also buy stuff because it's a now or never type of situation with buying them and they see if they like them, if they don't they sell them.

Also people are often just interested in the 43mm chips which forces them to buy a bunch of chips they aren't interested in.

The sale model itself sets up this cycle. In order to get the higher denomination chips (which are the only ones I'd be interested in for a hi roller tourney set) you often have to buy 2000 chips, which would inevitably leave me with like 1500 chips that I had no use for, so of course they're going to get sold off, probably at a loss unless there are some desirable chips in there to help offset that loss and prevent the hi denoms from costing 1.5-2x what sale price was.

This isn't flipping though. The people that buy sets including the rarer/more valuable (usually hi denom or frac) chips with the sole purpose of selling those limited ones at a profit to make their cash sets cheaper or free I would consider flipping. Or people buying chips without the intent to ever keep any of them and solely to make a profit on a limited commodity.

Unfortunately there aren't many ways around this. I did really appreciate the older pre-packaged cash and tournament set breakdowns Jim used to sell though. If one's goal was a playable cash or tourney set they could purchase one without having to navigate the insanity of needed denoms selling out and then having to pay a premium as the chips reemerged on the secondary market. I'm hoping Jim offers set breakdowns for this sale, but we'll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom