SAT. Night BBQ (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
My wife had to work all weekend. I figured SAT. would be a good time to grill a bunch of meats, and drink alone :)

I cooked up BBQ Chicken with a Blueberry Jalapeno BBQ sauce, hamburgers, and steak. This isn't all for SAT. btw :). We both work all week so I was preparing a few meals ahead to help out the wife.

Steaks are of the cheaper variety. After a few beers it doesn't really matter :)

20150405_153259_zpsvyy1kxxd.jpg

I am using a different coal. I don't like it. I was using a Kroger brand Lump Coal. I'm thinking the issue was "kroger brand". It simply burns out to quickly.

Chicken was first.

I oil up my hands, and massage the oil into the chicken breasts. Then I put a light coat of a poultry rub that I have. I cook the chicken directly over the coals for 5-8 minutes on each side. Then I finish cooking them on the grill, but with indirect heat. Takes about 1 to 1.5 hours. I coat with sauce every 20 to 30 minutes. Looks burnt, but it isn't. The blueberry sauce darkens as it cooks. Its kind of a deep purple.

20150405_153537_zpsvpus22sy.jpg

20150405_154835_zpsy4uahfhk.jpg

I did the hamburgers second. I didn't take any pictures of them cooking. I add an egg, and a dry rub mix that I make to the meat. Then after throwing on the grill I lightly salt and pepper them.

Steaks were last, since we were eating those SAT. night. At this point I had been grilling for two hours, drinking, and playing with the dogs.

I spray some pam on the steaks. I put a generous amount of kosher salt on them and let them sit out for 20-30 minutes before cooking

20150405_172139_zpsbcefszga.jpg

When I add to the grill, I season with crushed black pepper. Nothing else. Honestly, these steaks could have used some more seasoning.

My steak was a perfect medium rare. I didn't get a sear on them which disappointment me. Just a reason to try again another time.

20150405_180224_zpsfylw9sqy.jpg

I also sliced some potatoes, and through them on the grill. They turned out perfect. Served with a kale salad and we were good to go.

20150405_181937_zpsjp9fddbe.jpg

Tucker

20150404_190058_zpsgakaik8p.jpg

Tucker and MJ

20150327_075039_zpsadfnog9u.jpg

Great job! My steak seasoning is simple too. Try adding good granulated garlic powder with the pepper. I like that just fine. Go heavy as much will rub off on the grill. I still need to make your blueberry sauce!

I get a sear by leaving the top off the grill, I have a Weber kettle, 3 minutes each side when the coals are white hot. Then cover for a couple minutes until thermometer reads 130. Take off, let rest a couple minutes then dig in.

@detroitdad -if you haven't already tired it, get some raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce made by blue's hog - its FANTASTIC on poultry. Also with you being in MI, I recommend a MI native (mad Hunky meats) - they have some awesome poultry brine and are location in Lake Orion, MI

@detroitdad -if you haven't already tired it, get some raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce made by blue's hog - its FANTASTIC on poultry. Also with you being in MI, I recommend a MI native (mad Hunky meats) - they have some awesome poultry brine and are location in Lake Orion, MI

I really don't purchase BBQ sauce very often. I will definitely add this to my list of sauces to make. It sounds fantastic!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom