Kontosouvli (Greek BBQ) "THE BEST!" (2 Viewers)

doublebooyah85

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight is our fantasy draft, followed by poker and NFL kick off and I'm cooking for my guests.

THE BEST meal my Greek extended family/in-laws cook is Kontosouvli (followed by Mousaka) Greek Pork BBQ on a rotisserie spit. They will cook it every Easter, Thxgiving, family get together, etc. After helping them a few times I have mastered it as well.

Very similar to souvlaki (shikabobs)...

IMG-4049.JPG

...but rather than constantly flipping them and cooking it in 20 min or so, the rotisserie takes 90-120 minutes and makes the meat much more tender and takes in the charcoal flavor even better.

The biggest challenge is having a rotisserie spit set up with charcoal. Unc (Theo) has the full on rotisserie set up that takes an hour or so to get set up.

IMG-4037.jpg

And Baba (father in law) built his own brick oven with rotisseries built inside.

IMG-7150.PNG

I did my HW and found the Kamado Joe has an circular ring attachment called the Joetisserie. https://www.kamadojoe.com/products/joetisserie. This is perfect bc its the ceramic egg w/ charcoal and has the spit.

1694090250205.png

To prepare the meat, buy 6-12 lb of pork shoulder/butt. Cut it up into squares. Little bit of olive oil, then season heavily with garlic, pepper/salt (Montreal's Steak Seasoning is my go to https://www.mccormick.com/grill-mates/flavors/seasoning-blends/grill-mates-montreal-steak-seasoning), and Oregano.

IMG-1345.jpg

IMG-1346 (1).jpg

Once you get it on the spit, let the lows temps and charcoal do the work! And don't forget a heavy side of tzatziki sauce!

70570980868--A8B8318D-4B36-45CF-8EEF-CF7E80C7DF72.jpg

Last edited:
Instantly hungry looking at these photos. Gonna look for a local joint that does this since I don't have space for a rotisserie right now.

Awesome - definitely going to try this!! Couple questions:

- Any specifics/ hints on cutting up the shoulder? (Or do you just cut it into large/even chunks)

- Also assume it’s a boneless shoulder?

- Avg cook time/temp? As the shoulder should be slow cooked to render the fat, is it still tender after a 90/120 min cook time?

Looks awesome!!

Thanks for sharing!!

- Any specifics/ hints on cutting up the shoulder? (Or do you just cut it into large/even chunks)

- Avg cook time/temp? As the shoulder should be slow cooked to render the fat, is it still tender after a 90/120 min cook time?

Looks awesome!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Boneless is easier. Bone in is cheaper.

I cut it big rectangle pieces, then into squares. Maybe the size of your fist a little bigger. Not too fat tho. You’re stacking them on the spit.

As you cook be sure to have a knife and slice off bites as u go. The helpers will appreciate it.

It’s usually an open flame, but on my ceramic grill I try to keep it under 275. About 90 min check ur temp. It’s almost impossible to overlook it bc there is so much fat.

When it’s done and you cut it up (I hold my spit vertical and use an elective knife) I make a sauce of half lemon/half olive oil + the seasoning you used. Mix it up and drizzle over the meats!!!

I’m cooking tonight so I’ll take a few more photos.

Boneless is easier. Bone in is cheaper.

I cut it big rectangle pieces, then into squares. Maybe the size of your fist a little bigger. Not too fat tho. You’re stacking them on the spit.

As you cook be sure to have a knife and slice off bites as u go. The helpers will appreciate it.

It’s usually an open flame, but on my ceramic grill I try to keep it under 275. About 90 min check ur temp. It’s almost impossible to overlook it bc there is so much fat.

When it’s done and you cut it up (I hold my spit vertical and use an elective knife) I make a sauce of half lemon/half olive oil + the seasoning you used. Mix it up and drizzle over the meats!!!

I’m cooking tonight so I’ll take a few more photos.
This looks amazing! Im definitely going to try this!!

Thanks!!

Tonight is our fantasy draft, followed by poker and NFL kick off and I'm cooking for my guests.

THE BEST meal my Greek extended family/in-laws cook is Kontosouvli (followed by Mousaka) Greek Pork BBQ on a rotisserie spit. They will cook it every Easter, Thxgiving, family get together, etc. After helping them a few times I have mastered it as well.

Very similar to souvlaki (shikabobs)...

View attachment 1191717

...but rather than constantly flipping them and cooking it in 20 min or so, the rotisserie takes 90-120 minutes and makes the meat much more tender and takes in the charcoal flavor even better.

The biggest challenge is having a rotisserie spit set up with charcoal. Unc (Theo) has the full on rotisserie set up that takes an hour or so to get set up.

View attachment 1191718
And Baba (father in law) built his own brick oven with rotisseries built inside.

View attachment 1191719

I did my HW and found the Kamado Joe has an circular ring attachment called the Joetisserie. https://www.kamadojoe.com/products/joetisserie. This is perfect bc its the ceramic egg w/ charcoal and has the spit.

View attachment 1191720

To prepare the meat, buy 6-12 lb of pork shoulder/butt. Cut it up into squares. Little bit of olive oil, then season heavily with garlic, pepper/salt (Montreal's Steak Seasoning is my go to https://www.mccormick.com/grill-mates/flavors/seasoning-blends/grill-mates-montreal-steak-seasoning), and Oregano.

View attachment 1191721
View attachment 1191722

Once you get it on the spit, let the lows temps and charcoal do the work! And don't forget a heavy side of tzatziki sauce!

View attachment 1191723
Congratulations γαμπρέ! (bro in law)

:) :)

Even more congrats to my compatriot, your wife!
Don't you two dare come to Athens without letting me know first.:hearts::hearts:

Looks awesome!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Well?!? @Budha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom