Round vs oval vs octagon tables for 8 player self dealt games? (6 Viewers)

Oval vs round poker table?

• Oval

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Round

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Octagon

Votes: 21 18.9%

• Total voters

mummel

Full House
Reaction score
As the title says. Which one do you prefer playing on?

I ruled out octagons because if you have fewer than 8 players then there are weird open spots.

I prefer round.

What game(s) you typically play might be a consideration. If it's mostly just hold'em / omaha you might want an oval table. If it's more mixed games, I'd go with a round one.

Ideally, round, especially in a self-dealt game. However, because a round table doesn't fit in my room, I had a 44 x 66 oval made -- it's is almost as good as a round table and nobody has a problem seeing or sliding cards across the table.

I have an eight-player table with a dealer station (the dealer plays usually) that is still self-delt. It works well enough, but if it was purely for playing/self-dealing and not originally intended as a "practice" table for dealing, then I'd probably go round or a modified oval such as what @abby99 has.

I've got an octagon 48 inch and I think it works perfectly for 8 or less. If you've got less then 8. Use the empty sides for your drink carts.

I'm biased to octagon tables as well, as I have two of them. 54" and 52" - when we have empty seats the guys manage to grab the extra room.

That being said my current table build is an oval 44x88. Although its definitely not as easy for people on the ends and far sides to deal with an oval so for a self dealt game I'd almost say go circle over oval.

Ok so I added octagons due to the comments here. Feel free to change your vote if need be.

Octagons will immediately have lower value (resale). They are not quite as envogue, and you only need to check out craigslist to see what's selling and what's not. Seems like people can't give away octagon tables these days...

Octagons will immediately have lower value (resale). They are not quite as envogue, and you only need to check out craigslist to see what's selling and what's not. Seems like people can't give away octagon tables these days...
Which is why I got such a steal!!! Picked up both mine from my list. Under $100 each - refinished them both. Very happy with them.

That's really only true because most octagon tables on craigslist are the cheap pos fold in half ones or wooden ones with no padded rails. Around here there are always padded rail ovals and plenty of wood edge octagon's. When I posted one of my folding leg padded rail octagon tables I had 8 people call me within the hour of listing it and I tripled my money in the process from what I paid for it (It was a Dicks Sporting Goods one, solid one piece no fold in the middle).

Just like chip preferences everyone has their opinions. You need to play at a few different tables and decide for yourself what you like.

wooden ones with no padded rails.

This is my only additional desire. I would love to have padded rails, but instead I have chip cutouts and drink holders. If I ever upgrade, this will be a huge consideration for me.

Dan, I've played plenty of octagons, own an Oct topper too.. I think it's too limiting. You're stuck at the amount of space given on your side. Trying to adjust around, with 5-7 players, and someone (usually me) has a corner poking me in the gut.. Ok, insert obvious comments about reducing the size of my gut, ha ha

Agreed, we all have our opinions. The OP asked for them. :)

Ideally, I prefer round, but I've rarely found one I consider big enough to comfortably accommodate 8+ adults.

I had a great round table I sold before a move once. In retrospect I'm 90% sure it was stolen, but didn't have a clue at the time because I wasn't aware of pricing at all. It was maybe 10 years ago and I was just getting a home game moving again and saw one of those convertible dining/poker tables on craigslist. Turned out to be top of the line and huge. Guy delivered it out of a beat to hell white moving truck and it was still on the shipping palette.

Two guys in my game saw it and both immediately bought one. When a third guy tried a week later, the seller was out.

One suggestion...

Regardless of what shape you go with do not go with cup holders. That's the only regret I have with my table.

I also calculated a 54 inch diameter circle table will give each of the 8 players 21 inches of room. Thats not bad. Anyone know what a standard 86 X 44 table provides (how do you calculate this)?

Reaching into the middle of a table and stretching, I sort of measured I can reach comfortably 26 inches in. So standing up to clear the pot (which I will GLADLY do), should be pretty easy on a 54 inch table.

Seems like:

Self dealing = circle
Betting rounds without other players constantly moving the chips into middle = circle
Winning/clearing the pot = circle
Best view of cards from different angles = circle
Less standing up to fetch chips or see cards = circle
Social factor = circle
Seeing more poker faces at the same time = circle
Space = I'm guessing oval is better

What else?

They take up space on the table and chips fall into them constantly. Just annoying.
Got it - I have found my cup holders to be often filled with a glass, but I can see where that would be annoying. Thanks!

One suggestion...

Regardless of what shape you go with do not go with cup holders. That's the only regret I have with my table.

Yeah this is a tough decision. Not sure I have space for carts, need to measure stuff out.

Only thing I've found, is the placement of the cup holder gets in the way. They seem to be normally be placed in the middle of your chest. This bothers me because you have to go around your beer bottle to bet, and as the evening gets sloppy, people start to bump their bottles and risk spilling (think standing up and clearing the winning pot after 10 whiskeys).

So one option is to move the holder to your side, but then you have the others guys holder close to you on the other side, and now you have 2 opportunities to spill a bottle with waving hands (doubling the risk of spillage).

So I wonder what is the smartest choice (vs not having cupholders at all).

Round > oval > octagon. I have an octagon and an oval. I'd prefer a round table over the octagon, simply because you aren't locked to a specific spot.

I prefer the removable cupholders that have a tab that slides under the rail. That way, people can position them where they like, they are above the table, and only people that want one has to use one.

It helps to have a table that works with them. Unfortunately, not all tables do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom