Removing glue residue after removing over-labels (1 Viewer)

Goldfish

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
After u remove an over-label, what is the best/easiest way to remove the remaining glue residue? Can u use Goo Gone? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

After u remove an over-label, what is the best/easiest way to remove the remaining glue residue? Can u use Goo Gone? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

glad you asked I am on the same level looking for the best way.. I’ve removed labels from 2 chips and waiting on @Gear labels to get this project going

FYI, I just used goo gone on one chip and started to see red on the paper towel.

Just give them a soak in some lukewarm Dawn soapy water. If you aren't comfortable soaking them, just get a toothbrush, and give them a scrub and rinse, lukewarm, and dry. Should be residue free. Never had an issue and I've removed 260 overlabels from a set I got.

I've never tried Goo Gone. I've used Ronsonol to take stickers off used guitars and worked for glue off chips. You don't need a lot of whatever you use. Start with a chip that you won't care about messing up and start there.

@Goldfish

I also want to say, Congratulations!!! I've been noticing some of the amazing effing chips you have been buying. In a very short time I've watched you acquire chips many of us dream about or simply can't afford.

Next level chipping bro! Seriously amazing sets you must be putting together. Whatever you are doing, I'm beyond intrigued and would love to see some pr0n when you are ready. Or you could show some now?!?:whistle: :whistling:

In any case, amazing purchases, amazing chips. I'm thinking you have got quite a nice collection already.

Here is my setup:)
IMG_20200502_103540.jpg

I removed 300+ Gear labels from some pink Terribles fracs last year... I don’t remember buying any obscure product to get glue residue off.

As best as I can remember, on any chips with residue which couldn’t be removed just with a finger nail, I probably used what I had in the house already — dish soap or a toothbrush and toothpaste to clean any problem chips.

I might have given them a warm faux-TSP bath as well, but I think that was unrelated to glue boogers.

Last edited:
@Goldfish

I also want to say, Congratulations!!! I've been noticing some of the amazing effing chips you have been buying. In a very short time I've watched you acquire chips many of us dream about or simply can't afford.

Next level chipping bro! Seriously amazing sets you must be putting together. Whatever you are doing, I'm beyond intrigued and would love to see some pr0n when you are ready. Or you could show some now?!?:whistle: :whistling:

In any case, amazing purchases, amazing chips. I'm thinking you have got quite a nice collection already.
Thank you. I have definitely embraced the chipping experience. I love everything about it and all the knowledge in this forum is unbelievable. I started out looking to upgrade from my chipco set with a set of paulsons and have gone way beyond that. Now I clean my own chips, remove and replace inlays, and more. I am quickly becoming a chip master! Once I finish customizing my jack set I will send p0rn for sure. Gear replacement labels are in route!

Goo gone is awful, leaves a greasy residue. I’ve been in the art field since way back when, and the solvent we always used to clean up wax and sticky adhesives was Bestine. It’s a solvent of 100% heptane, which when put on a soft cloth, removes everything with no residue. It also evaporates CRAZY fast (which makes it flammable as well). However, it is safe on everything I’ve ever used it on, including plastics.
Heptane can also be found in some carburetor cleaners, check the label.
The only glue that it will not work on is a hardened brittle glue like dried super glue, elmers, or epoxy.
If it’s a soft gooey sticky residue, NOTHING compares to Bestine.
375044E4-DD33-443A-B81E-D23736E7E576.jpeg

Last edited:
Although I'm based in the UK and you might not be able to get it in the States, this worked a treat on getting some pretty tough sticky residue of some plastic chips I relabelled recently:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zep-commercial-sticky-stuff-remover-1ltr/8648x

I actually did it with some Paulsons recently, too, but was a lot more careful and less liberal with applying it. Just a matter of using a dropper to apply some to the residue, before leaving it on there for about 30 seconds or so (gives enough time for the solution to break up the residue).

Then just use a tooth brush, Dawn (or Persil here in the UK as Dawn isn't readily available) and some warm water to clean it off.

Goo gone is awful, leaves a greasy residue. I’ve been in the art field since way back when, and the solvent we always used to clean up wax and sticky adhesives was Bestine. It’s a solvent of 100% heptane, which when put on a soft cloth, removes everything with no residue. It also evaporates CRAZY fast (which makes it flammable as well). However, it is safe on everything I’ve ever used it on, including plastics.
Heptane can also be found in some carburetor cleaners, check the label.
The only glue that it will not work on is a hardened brittle glue like dried super glue, elmers, or epoxy.
If it’s a soft gooey sticky residue, NOTHING compares to Bestine.
View attachment 451717
I know acetone is a huge no-no for chips. It will dissolve them in large quantities but in small it will start to break down chips. I don't know about the stuff you recommended but I'd be leary of any solvent.

Goo gone works fine. Small amount on a dish cloth works great. Clean the inlay and avoid getting it on the chip, but if you do just simply wash it.

I removed labels from a lot of PCAs....A LOT. and that's the best way I've found. Dawn won't remove the stickiest or hardest dried adhesives. It will remove dirt and maybe small amounts of adhesive. I wouldn't recommend a toothbrush either unless you're a masochist. Get a nail cleaning brush or I use an old potato scrubbing brush my wife has. Works great.

Good luck!

Bestine is nothing like acetone, which I know is way too powerful a solvent for anything like this. I will tell you, if you like goo gone, you’ll LOVE Bestine

FYI, I used goo gone for 100 chips. Worked pretty well. after doing 20 I gave them a quick bath (dawn and warm water) and scrub with a soft tooth brush Just to make sure the goo gone didn’t sit on the chip for a long period of time.
I will go on the hunt for bestine this week and try that for the next 100 chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom