Tourney Rebuys And Side Bets (1 Viewer)

FreeBop59

High Hand
Supporter
Reaction score
I recently played an STT with a rebuy during the first two levels when this situation with a side bet occurred:

-Player A had agreed with Player B (the host), Player C, and me to be in a last longer side bet

-Player A had agreed to the last longer side bet under the assumption that he could still be in it if he rebought

-Player A busted out during the second level, rebought, and was informed by Players B & C that A was out of the side bet

-Player A objected, but all of us agreed to just play it out and try to find out more about this situation

So far, I've seen that Robert's Rules Of Poker somewhat addresses this situation in Section 15: Tournaments:
-36. Management is not required to rule on any private deals, side bets, or redistribution of the prize pool among finalists.

Is there a standardized way of addressing this situation? Or is it more dependent on the host/house rules?

This is between the people who placed the side bet. The House is not going to make a call on this. If player A really thought that, and your friends, don’t let it bother you. Keep playing. It’s a friendly game right? Do you trust him? Is it worth fighting about? Etc…I think he’s wrong but that’s beside the point since it wasn’t defined.

This is between the people who placed the side bet. The House is not going to make a call on this. If player A really thought that, and your friends, don’t let it bother you. Keep playing. It’s a friendly game right? Do you trust him? Is it worth fighting about? Etc…I think he’s wrong but that’s beside the point since it wasn’t defined.

It is a friendly game--Players B and C are frequent hosts and Player A (the objector) hosts our biggest tournament during the year. It was also Player A's first time playing in this rebuy/STT format since our big tournament is an MTT freezeout.

I was caught in the middle and asked by Players B & C to explain to Player A their reasoning ("if you're out of the tournament, then you're out of the side bet") while also hearing A's objection ("if I can rebuy, that means I'm still in the tournament and side bet"). Ultimately, it wasn't worth derailing the STT because we all agreed it wasn't clearly defined beforehand.

I'm just curious what some other perspectives are on this situation since it's the first time I've faced a judgment call on side bets.

My guy reaction was to say he’s out of the last longer. But upon further thought, I’m ruling with the rebuyer based on what he said - he was never out of the tournament.
Now, if it had been a re-entry tournament, I think it’s an easy call - he got knocked out; he’s out of the tournament and the last longer, regardless of whether or not he re-enters.

I realize most home tournaments don’t make the distinction between reentry and rebuy. But the language you’re using is rebuy. And assuming the felted player keeps his seat and doesn’t miss a hand, then you’re using the right language. He’s still in the tournsment.

My guy reaction was to say he’s out of the last longer. But upon further thought, I’m ruling with the rebuyer based on what he said - he was never out of the tournament.
Now, if it had been a re-entry tournament, I think it’s an easy call - he got knocked out; he’s out of the tournament and the last longer, regardless of whether or not he re-enters.

I realize most home tournaments don’t make the distinction between reentry and rebuy. But the language you’re using is rebuy. And assuming the felted player keeps his seat and doesn’t miss a hand, then you’re using the right language. He’s still in the tournsment.
You have a very relevant point here, upNdown: it wasn't reentry because Player A never had a seat change, kept his seat, and received his new chips at his seat (thanks to reading some other threads here, I now understand the difference between rebuy & reentry).

Our group may need a discussion on rebuy versus reentry because Players B & C were clearly using reentry rules in their explanation while Player A was thinking of rebuy rules in his explanation.

In our 'official' (and optional) last-longer pools, a participating player is eligible for the pool proceeds until he is eliminated from the tournament (and the last uneliminated pool participant typically wins the pool).

A player who chooses to re-buy (if an offered option) has not yet been eliminated from the event, and so would still be eligible.

In our 'official' (and optional) last-longer pools, a participating player is eligible for the pool proceeds until he is eliminated from the tournament (and the last uneliminated pool participant typically wins the pool).

A player who chooses to re-buy (if an offered option) has not yet been eliminated from the event, and so would still be eligible.
He has spoken

:tup:

Would you agree with upNdown that this rule would not apply to a reentry tournament, BG?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom