Tourney Rebuy/Add on Chip for higher buy in (1 Viewer)

Daddy N

Two Pair
Reaction score
My group are mostly casual players with some more serious players mixed in. The tournaments are $20 buy ins with 1 $20 rebuy allowed in the first 90 minutes or a optional $10 add on at the 90 minute mark for players who have not used their rebuy. My question to the forum is what are your thoughts on offering a optional $30 buy in that will include a rebuy/add on chip. It would be a deal for the rebuy but commit players to use the addon. I average 8 players, 1-2 rebuys and 4-5 addons.

I think if your original buy-in of $20 gets you 10,000 in chips, your re-buy for $20 should get the player 10,000 in chips. If at the end of 90 minutes you have not re-bought, you should be able to add on 10,000 in chips for $20. That way everyone has an opportunity to purchase 20,000 in chips for $40.

I keep things simple by including one rebuy / add on chip with the entry fee. You have time to use the chip until the second break, at which point all the remaining ones are exchanged for tourney chips. No need to collect and keep track of money once the tournament has started, and nobody has ever gone busto early on.

I should have been more specific. The tourney is $20 (15+5 bounty 10k chips) Rebuy $20 (15+5 bounty 10k chips) Add on $10 (7,500 chips)

The title confuses me
what's the problem that you want to solve with rebuy/add-ons?
Why you don't simply increase the buy for a T20K and keep it freezeout ?

Last edited:
My group are mostly casual players with some more serious players mixed in. The tournaments are $20 buy ins with 1 $20 rebuy allowed in the first 90 minutes or a optional $10 add on at the 90 minute mark for players who have not used their rebuy. My question to the forum is what are your thoughts on offering a optional $30 buy in that will include a rebuy/add on chip. It would be a deal for the rebuy but commit players to use the addon. I average 8 players, 1-2 rebuys and 4-5 addons.
What is your goal? Identify that, and appropriate actions (if any) become clearer. Here are some examples of goals:
  • more chips in play (deeper tournament)
  • more re-buys due to fewer starting BB
  • larger prize pool without increasing initial cost
  • less advantage to large stacks after the early rounds have completed
What are yours?

I keep things simple by including one rebuy / add on chip with the entry fee. You have time to use the chip until the second break, at which point all the remaining ones are exchanged for tourney chips. No need to collect and keep track of money once the tournament has started, and nobody has ever gone busto early on.

This is what I do now and it works well. It's a compromise between those who want to be able to make multiple rebuys and those that feel rebuys give an unfair advantage to those willing to spend more. I actually tried to switch it back one game and received a bunch of complaints, that's one way I know when things are working.

Grant

$20 buy ins with 1 $20 rebuy allowed in the first 90 minutes or a optional $10 add on at the 90 minute mark for players who have not used their rebuy.
The tourney is $20 (15+5 bounty 10k chips) Rebuy $20 (15+5 bounty 10k chips) Add on $10 (7,500 chips)
What is your goal?
  • larger prize pool without increasing initial cost

This. My group doesn't want to increase the buy in.
I'd stick with your original $20 buy-in (10K chips + $5 bounty chip), and issue a re-buy chip with the 10K starting stack. The re-buy chip can be used to purchase a $20 re-buy if busted (10K chips + new $5 bounty chip) for the first 90 minutes. At that time, unused re-buy chips can be redeemed for a free 2K add-on (which gives the re-buy chip real intrinsic value, used or not).

I'd also offer an optional add-on purchase of 10K chips for $10 (those chips have less value now than initially, and it also offers more incentive to add-on). Your current 12%-20% re-buy rate is a little below average (and probably won't change much), but your add-on purchases should increase, adding more $$ to the prize pool.

Imo, any optional purchase to buy add-on chips should always be made equally available to all players, and not be dependent on whether or not the re-buy chip was used. You are unnecessarily restricting your add-on purchase opportunities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom