Re oiling chips (1 Viewer)

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I guess looking for a little insight... Recently bought some old stock BCC fan of cards, in my opinion overpaid at $1.25 per new chip. I have other Paulson's and BCC's and never encountered this before... The chips are so dry and sharp they can cut you and look like they could break with a soft toss on felt... I know these are old stock and have no natural hand oils, but they are so dry they feel terrible. So we followed instructions on PCF hand rubbing mineral oil as opposed to the pot and water version. After one day of vigerous application the chips are almost back to dry. Not going to touch them until tomorrow but they will only be drier then. I'm wondering is it ok after they are dry and cleaned is it ok to reapply? And if so is there any way of bringing life back into these chips? I definitely prefer the Paulson royal flush version of the chips but obviously harder to find. Any insight on how to get them to life but not be drowened in oil to where you can't play with them would definitely be appreciated. Thanks Ben

My $.02, I have recently oiled (Walgreens Mineral Oil) my BCC Modern clay chips as a number of them seemed to be extremely dried out. I heavy oiled them by hand (each chip) then let them dry for 2 full days (flipping after day one) and then wiped the centers with a dry micro towel just in case any oil was left over. To my surprise no oil was left after two days of drying. The chips look fantastic but they will never look as good as new, I think there is a ceiling on how good the chips can look based off of wear and age. FYI, I have heard of people re oiling a few times but generally it is over the course of 6 to 8 months. Good luck.

That was my thoughts wait a while and do it again... The chips we're brand new just old stock. Hand oiled let sit 2 days... Heavy oil, and after 2 days they were dry other than small amount on inlays, a week later haven't played with them yet but they do feel better than when I got them hopefully a few more rounds of oil and playtime will bring some life back in to them... Thanks for the input!!

Did you use the write-up that spoke about compression oiling where you press the oil into the chip? If not I would recommend giving it a read below. With compression oiling you help get the oil deeper into the chip which in turn results in it retaining the shine longer. OP also waits 48 hours and then re oils the edges. If you already followed the below sorry for wasting your time lol. :wow:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/oiling-chips-done-right.14343/

Haha not a waste and thank you but yes those were the guidelines we used... Just have to make the effort I think I can save them just time and work... But I think I will stick with Paulson from now on... They are always perfect for me

I recently bought a new set of CPC poker chips. 700 to be exact.

As I opened the box, it was apparent they would need assistance to make them look new and not as they do as new.

I'm new to chipping...but for the $$ I spent, it would have been nice to receive shiny chips. Alas...they are not China clays right...:tup:

I went to the drug store. Picked up some Mineral Oil USP and brought it home. Proceeded to start applying the oil to the edges. I know there is a whole bit on here about "compression oiling". While I agree with it all, I felt it is way overkill and overthink. That's just my opinion.

They are just chips. It's a porous material, and I just want to get oil in. So...I grabbed a microfibre cloth...and grab stacks by the barrel...and work the oil on. Then with a secondary microfibre, I wipe the barrel down until all oil is gone. Repeat. Then on the next barrel. I have done 300 of them. Will see what they look like in 12 hrs. I noticed a huge difference. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_114637.jpg
    IMG_20190602_114637.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20190602_114725.jpg
    IMG_20190602_114725.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20190602_124508.jpg
    IMG_20190602_124508.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20190602_130012.jpg
    IMG_20190602_130012.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 236
They do look a lot better and I think most of us dream of owning a set of those rounders chips!! Vannnt a cookie? Lol so you're saying you aren't doing individual chips but the whole barrel at one time? I have definitely put in the hours one chip at a time pressing oil in... Full rotation both directions to makes sure nothing is missed. The BCC chips literally sucked up every drop off oil where Paulson's there is some left over after 48 hours. Also have found that sitting 3 days rather than 2 the rest of the oil is usually gone... So I am moving to a flip every day but waiting 3 days to clean cycle... I have thousands to do and usually average hand washing and oiling about 200 per night (about 4 hours) so dirty chips after cleaning and wiping I probably have around 3 hours per rack, which is crazy but happy with other results just don't like the BCC's

Just hold a barrel and wipe the rolling edge. The oil will migrate in.
That's the conservative approach, and you can't ever go wrong with that.:tup:
For a little more oiling, wipe the oiled barrels with a soft cloth, and use that (now slightly oiled) cloth for wiping the perimeter around the label of each chip, if you have the patience of doing it one-by-one.:D

Indeed, I should have clarified...

I work the oil on the barrel. Lots of wrist action here. Then, I take stacks of 5 from the wiped barrel and turn them under pressure inside the secondary dry microfibre. (It is slowly getting soaked too)

Then I take each individual and wipe the excess as the oil does migrate to the face of the chip.

So I am individually wiping them to what I call a finish for now. Lol!

I gotta work tonight and will leave em out on the poker table and see the results tomorrow.

I've added a couple more pics of my remaining denoms.

I'm pleased with how the $5k chocolate brown turned out. It looked bad when it arrived.

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_150247.jpg
    IMG_20190602_150247.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20190602_150202.jpg
    IMG_20190602_150202.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 157
I know these are old stock and have no natural hand oils, but they are so dry they feel terrible.

Sounds like normal BCC's to me... others have experienced this with new BCC's including me and my Samurai Palace chips.

download.png

I'm new to chipping...but for the $$ I spent, it would have been nice to receive shiny chips.
CPC discontinued this practice at the overwhelming request of the buyers and it keeps production costs down.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that, for CPCs, I first shower them in lukewarm water and wipe them clean, to take the factory dust away, and, after they dry up, I oil them as described above.
I just did that with a 200 chip add-on, which was nothing compared to the 1700 chip original load :D

Yes, when I unboxed them, I did just that. I had a warm soaked microfibre to wipe the dust off. They dried right in front of my eyes though:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That is when I knew why PCFers talk about the oiling.

Here is the (according to me) finished oiled chipset...

IMG_20190604_132712.jpg

I'm so happy with the results. I oiled them a second time for good measure. They have had 2 applications of oil and 18hrs of drying in between applications. I must have used 2 spoons of oil overall. Stuff spreads well.

Here is the (according to me) finished oiled chipset...

View attachment 295389

I'm so happy with the results. I oiled them a second time for good measure. They have had 2 applications of oil and 18hrs of drying in between applications. I must have used 2 spoons of oil overall. Stuff spreads well.
Well now if that isn't a thing of beauty!! I know a whole lotta people that would kill for that set of Teddy's chips! Wow and they look amazing!!

Well now if that isn't a thing of beauty!! I know a whole lotta people that would kill for that set of Teddy's chips! Wow and they look amazing!!
Thanks for the kind words pal! Appreciate it

Yes they are available but wow the price tag!! Still very new to chiping as you should know... My girlfriend is the one that bought the same scam chips you did... We aren't sure what's in the box but something has been shipped! Lol honestly that set of rounders chips if definitely on the bucket list!

It wasn't cheap. Not going to lie. The prices are plain to see on the CPC site. As a Canadian, believe me, I paid a pretty penny to get them on my table as pictured. I got one life to live, so I reached for my dreams. I was eyeballing the darn things for 3 months since March when I joined here and even discovered them.

David Spragg is great to deal with. With just a few emails my order was in. Shipped in 2 days. He let me mess with the quantities and denoms precisely to my liking. I've got a great breakdown for what I plan to run.

Anyone try skipping the dust wiping to start? seems like it would be unnecessary as the oil will get in regardless

I recently bought a new set of CPC poker chips. 700 to be exact.

As I opened the box, it was apparent they would need assistance to make them look new and not as they do as new.

I'm new to chipping...but for the $$ I spent, it would have been nice to receive shiny chips. Alas...they are not China clays right...:tup:

I went to the drug store. Picked up some Mineral Oil USP and brought it home. Proceeded to start applying the oil to the edges. I know there is a whole bit on here about "compression oiling". While I agree with it all, I felt it is way overkill and overthink. That's just my opinion.

They are just chips. It's a porous material, and I just want to get oil in. So...I grabbed a microfibre cloth...and grab stacks by the barrel...and work the oil on. Then with a secondary microfibre, I wipe the barrel down until all oil is gone. Repeat. Then on the next barrel. I have done 300 of them. Will see what they look like in 12 hrs. I noticed a huge difference. :)
CPCs always need a oiling when they arrive. But normally pop on that first oiling like no other...

CPCs always need a oiling when they arrive. But normally pop on that first oiling like no other...
My chips were transformed before my eyes. It was fun to do the work. Really helped me appreciate my purchase even more.

My chips were transformed before my eyes. It was fun to do the work. Really helped me appreciate my purchase even more.
I love that day actually, spending a day and transforming each chip. My tune will change next year when I'm doing it for the two orders that arrive. Oi. I'm an idiot.

I love that day actually, spending a day and transforming each chip. My tune will change next year when I'm doing it for the two orders that arrive. Oi. I'm an idiot.
How many chips will that be for you, if you don't mind me asking?

About 1500.... Between the two sets. Total at home, I'd guess 7k... I should be an official count ....
Now that's A LOT of CPCs. Pure awesome. You have your hands full with all that oiling. I do remember my wrists getting very sorry after a while. I didn't dare ask my partner...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom