Quick Overview for Beginners (1 Viewer)

SteveEH

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 or 4 newbies coming to my next friendly mixed fixed limit game, and I want to give them an overview and tips. Here are the points I plan to discuss:

1. Hand rankings.

2. Bet limits and game structures.

3. Strategy. Show them the "tight but aggressive..." speech Mike gives to the professor in rounders (48:55).

4. Position.

5. Pot odds. Get them thinking about the likelihood of improving their hand vs. to the amount of money it costs to see more cards, and how much money is already in the pot.

This may be a bit much but it's a start. Thoughts?

@MatthewTreeTree

I have 3 or 4 newbies coming to my next friendly mixed fixed limit game, and I want to give them an overview and tips. Here are the points I plan to discuss:

1. Hand rankings.

2. Bet limits and game structures.

3. Strategy. Show them the "tight but aggressive..." speech Mike gives to the professor in rounders (48:55).

4. Position.

5. Pot odds. Get them thinking about the likelihood of improving their hand vs. to the amount of money it costs to see more cards, and how much money is already in the pot.

This may be a bit much but it's a start. Thoughts?

@MatthewTreeTree
For hand rankings I find it's helpful to have a printout you can put on the wall. I would avoid trying to teach too many games at once. You may have an easier time getting them to enjoy the game and want to come back if you stick to 2 or 3 games with a similar structure and then add more games on future visits. So maybe teach them Hold'em and Omaha and maybe add Pineapple for the first session, then maybe add 7card games the next time. I wouldn't bring up strategy, position, or pot odds until they become regulars.

Encourage them to ask questions between hands and take the time to clearly answer them BEFORE you start the next hand so they can focus. Make them feel as comfortable as possible.

Something that helped me my first time playing live was reading Robert's Rules of Poker before I went. That way I would be somewhat familiar with etiquette/rules. It made me way more comfortable sitting down for the first time!

Be somewhat lenient with them too. For example, if they put in a single chip but mean to raise, let them raise the first time but make the single chip call rule clear to them for next time.

That’s a good list. I’d stick with hold’em only if you can. And if you can’t, definitely stay away from HI/LO games. For #3, I’d elaborate and explain that it means they are folding 4 out 5 hands. Encourage them to observe the table when they are not in the hand.

I agree with many others in sticking with #1 and #2 and playing the game. You can 'discuss' any of the list during post-hand discussion as a learning opportunity as each issue arises.

I also send YouTube clips with 'How to Play etc...' for certain games (Holdem and PLO) and I have a large hand-rank chart on the wall.

Good luck and well done on recruiting new players :)

Thanks for the feedback all.

I stuck with hold'em only and explained:

1. Hand rankings.
2. Betting structure (thanks for the visual @abby99)
3. "Tight but aggressive..." Rounders bit at 48:55, explaining you're folding most hands and raising the good ones.

I also did a commentary on community cards and hand possibilities for most hands we played.

Karma was on my side as I took down the first hand dealt!

PXL_20210919_033917893.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom