Cash Game Question about leveling the playing field in a cash game (3 Viewers)

Reminds me of a game I played in once. $.25/.50 NL Hold em/Omaha mix. $20 MAX buy in. When you busted, the rebuy chips came from whoever had the biggest stack, who would then put the cash in his pocket.
Sounds like this and the OP are playing with inexperienced players that are used to watching the WSOP on TV, with constant all-ins.

They want to stand up, wait for the cards to fall, and all the drama that follows.
Each player.
Multiple times per night.

Sounds like this and the OP are playing with inexperienced players that are used to watching the WSOP on TV, with constant all-ins.

They want to stand up, wait for the cards to fall, and all the drama that follows.
Each player.
Sadly, people are sheep. They do what that see others do. It's how we learn as infants, and our mimicking mannerisms develop throughout life.

A lot of people used to gripe about the NFL's "no celebration" rules, but having been an announcer for Pee-Wee football games, there is something very, very wrong with seeing a 6 year old taunting another 6 year old after scoring his 7th touchdown with a 63-0 lead. Done even get me started on what the 6 year-old cheerleaders where doing :sick:.

So while I haven't witnessed the "standing all-in drama" since the mid 2000s, I am familiar with the practice. I quit going to that game after 2 events, though more because of terrible blind structures than the over-the-top theatre - which was always followed by a whooping victory lap after hitting the "miracle" 12-outer.

Last edited:

Each player.
How did you come to this conclusion? Also, it must be 15 or so years since it was commonplace to watch WSOP on TV.

I don't think what you've said is a particularly fair or accurate description of me or my players. It is true that they were inexperienced. Over the course of the evening, I went all-in twice: one was with a strong but vulnerable hand, and another was after I flopped trip kings in a 4-bet pot with a lot of broadway straight draws on the board (other guy folded--we ran it out, he would of hit the straight). I believe there was one other all-in (Player 1) which was called by Player 2. Player 2's other losses came from calling bets that put him all in.

Overall, me and my players are inexperienced, but we aren't 14 years old. Please be careful with gross over-generalizations, especially those that belittle other people, people whom you know little to nothing about.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Sadly, people are sheep. They do what that see others do. It's how we learn as infants, and our mimicking mannerisms develop throughout life.

A lot of people used to gripe about the NFL's "no celebration" rules, but having been an announcer for Pee-Wee football games, there is something very, very wrong with seeing a 6 year old taunting another 6 year old after scoring his 7th touchdown with a 63-0 lead. Done even get me started on what the 6 year-old cheerleaders where doing :sick:.

So while I haven't witnessed the "standing all-in drama" since the mid 2000s, I am familiar with the practice. I quit going to that game after 2 events (though more because of terrible blind structures than the over-the-top theatre - which was always followed by a whooping victory lap after hitting the "miracle" 12-outer.
I respect your apparent poker prowess, but am struggling to understand your analogy. People wanting to play exciting poker (I mean, after all, the WSOP era of poker was exciting) and/or misunderstanding poker is reasonably easy to understand. Teaching young boys not to gloat or making sure young girls aren't over-sexualized seems like a bit of a tangent for this poker forum, yeah?

I respect your apparent poker prowess, but am struggling to understand your analogy. People wanting to play exciting poker (I mean, after all, the WSOP era of poker was exciting) and/or misunderstanding poker is reasonably easy to understand. Teaching young boys not to gloat or making sure young girls aren't over-sexualized seems like a bit of a tangent for this poker forum, yeah?
Perhaps.

However, there is a difference between the excitement and celebration of winning, and the over-the-top dramatics we see on TV. Excitement is natural. I often cheer when my opponent hits his one-outer, because I can feel the joy, even when it costs me money.

However, if you get up from the table and high-five everyone in the room you are delaying the game and gloating. Therefore, I find my comparison apt.

Not that I suspect your group did the whole celebration-gloating thing. By asking questions on the forum, I understand you are identifying and looking to resolve problems in your events. That leads to a better experience for everyone, and will help your game grow - which can be a task, as much of your OP has been since asked, answered, and derailed. Yet you are still reading, looking for tidbits of useful information. :tup:

You can also set a limit on the largest bet to be equal to the buy in. So in your case you would be paying no limit up to $25.

When I played in home games before 2000 ish, there would almost always be a "big bet" for the game. So the game would be $40 buy in, five bucks is the "big bet." Meaning you could size bets anywhere between the ante (five card draw and 7 card stud were popular around here) and five dollars. I personally don't like this but it can make it a more friendly game.

Seriously, the length that people will go to not play limit is appalling.

Benefits of LIMIT poker:
-more of a friendly game
-much more simple
-faster
-easier on newbies
-stacks don't matter
-no "sick reads" or grand standing
-no getting stacked in one hand
-Easier to incorporate multiple games

Drawbacks of LIMIT poker:
-not on TV
Bro limit poker is for people over 60 who can't swallow the fact there can be studying to do to improve your game. They rather sit there and toss dollars into a pot dreaming about hitting their gut shot to win $18. Limit poker is terrible, boring, and geared for calling stations. Don't even dare to come at me with you never tried it, because I played it last weekend. Who plays poker to be friendly? If that's your goal why are you even using money?

Bro limit poker is for people over 60 who can't swallow the fact there can be studying to do to improve your game. They rather sit there and toss dollars into a pot dreaming about hitting their gut shot to win $18. Limit poker is terrible, boring, and geared for calling stations. Don't even dare to come at me with you never tried it, because I played it last weekend. Who plays poker to be friendly? If that's your goal why are you even using money?
Bro, you just gave me the win on my limit-hater-stereotype bingo card.

michael-keaton.gif

Truth hurt?
Lol, hardly.

Now here's a truth. NLHE players are mostly super system wannabes that read about the power of aggression one time and want to bluff their way out of every spot and get mad when other players won't do "what they're supposed to do."

These players are the ones that complain that there is no strategy in limit.

Bruh...

Lol, hardly.

Now here's a truth. NLHE players are mostly super system wannabes that read about the power of aggression one time and want to bluff their way out of every spot and get mad when other players won't do "what they're supposed to do."

These players are the ones that complain that there is no strategy in limit.
Why are you defending a sinking ship here? There is a reason why you have never once seen it on tv but can find Martha Stewart cooking eggs. Because Martha flipping an egg using crushed pepper and salt is more mysterious. No one wants to watch or play that shit. Prime example of once in a lifetime hand happened Saturday, I was not in the hand. One buddy had top set that gave him the best boat out there, he's letting the other guy hang himself. Turns out the other guy turned the straight flush. The river both stacks got in as they should. You telling me you are satisfied with the $6 bet on the river gramps?

Bro, I didnt come at you so take it easy.

If I am having people come over to my house for a home game, it damn sure better be friendly.

Also, I am not going to get into a leveling war with you, but your post is saying limit is for a small buy in where no limit is for big buy ins. That's ridiculous. Enjoy your tank/fold, bro.

Bro, I didnt come at you so take it easy.

If I am having people come over to my house for a home game, it damn sure better be friendly.

Also, I am not going to get into a leveling war with you, but your post is saying limit is for a small buy in where no limit is for big buy ins. That's ridiculous. Enjoy your tank/fold, bro.
O so you play $25/$50 limit? Serious question

I never said I play big or that limit is small, what I did say limit takes no skill to call down $1 bets and then $2 bets for turn and river. That is boring. You can't bluff no one, ask any PCF members that attended this year's meetup here. You have to bet massive to get people to fold weak holdings. I take advantage of that, you can't in limit holdem you play bingo with lady luck

I play 3/6 online. That's a $150 buyin with another $150 ready to go if I lose half.

I have one game I play in live that is 10/20 BigO limit. I buy in for 600. That's big enough for me.

HOWEVER, if someone invited me to their house for a night of cards and we played 2/4, I would be perfectly happy.

I never said I play big or that limit is small, what I did say limit takes no skill to call down $1 bets and then $2 bets for turn and river. That is boring. You can't bluff no one, ask any PCF members that attended this year's meetup here. You have to bet massive to get people to fold weak holdings. I take advantage of that, you can't in limit holdem you play bingo with lady luck
Also, if you cant beat this game, it's not them....it's you.

I play 3/6 online. That's a $150 buyin with another $150 ready to go if I lose half.

I have one game I play in live that is 10/20 BigO limit. I buy in for 600. That's big enough for me.

HOWEVER, if someone invited me to their house for a night of cards and we played 2/4, I would be perfectly happy.
Big O isn't holdem and I have no issue with. Most circus games can be fun with limit. Holdem is a game that deserves stacks to move

So, I think we found the problem here....

You played LIMIT poker but failed to adjust to a winning LIMIT strategy. Instead, you bet in to a field of calling stations with air and are frustrated your single big bet didnt take it down?

I will say that I agree with you that 1/2 limit can be boring to me. In the EXACT SAME WAY that .1/.2 no limit can be boring to me. HOWEVER, I am not going to come on here and rip people apart for wanting to play 1./.2 nlhe, because I happen to have a large piece of knowledge that you seem to lack......

Sometimes other people want different things than me. And that's ok.

You can't bluff no one, ask any PCF members that attended this year's meetup here.
I don't know what you were doing but I spent most of the meetup checking out Paige ......... Something tells me I had more fun than you did. :)

Prime example of once in a lifetime hand happened Saturday, I was not in the hand. One buddy had top set that gave him the best boat out there, he's letting the other guy hang himself. Turns out the other guy turned the straight flush. The river both stacks got in as they should. You telling me you are satisfied with the $6 bet on the river gramps?
I cannot imagine a limit game where both stacks did not get it all-in in that scenario.

In Limit, when there are only two players left in the hand, the betting is no longer capped. Saw that at our last Limit (7-card stud) game: :ac::kc::jc: flush beat :ad::kd::td: flush. Played down to two, players got it all-in for around 40 big bets.

I cannot imagine a limit game where both stacks did not get it all-in in that scenario.

In Limit, when there are only two players left in the hand, the betting is no longer capped. Saw that at our last Limit (7-card stud) game: :ac::kc::jc: flush beat :ad::kd::td: flush. Played down to two, players got it all-in for around 40 big bets.
STUD?!?!?!?!? How OLD are you, gramps?

(I love stud but realize most NLHE players will never play it because "you can't get stacks in")

Me too, bro-gramps. If I wanted to make money playing poker I'd go to Vegas. Actually, the majority of my friends prefer limit to NL when we play.

failed to adjust to a winning LIMIT strategy.

The one degen in our group that prefers NL says "Limit sux cause the maffs don't make sense, brah!" I told him math is math and u just need to adjust to your strategy.

I try not to reply to threads like this, but u had me at "bro," bruh.

Me too, bro-gramps. If I wanted to make money playing poker I'd go to Vegas. Actually, the majority of my friends prefer limit to NL when we play.

The one degen in our group that prefers NL says "Limit sux cause the maffs don't make sense, brah!" I told him math is math and u just need to adjust to your strategy.

I try not to reply to threads like this, but u had me at "bro," bruh.
Yeah, I fell for the old "rope a dope". I even said I won't get into a leveling war, so in effect I lost.

STUD?!?!?!?!? How OLD are you, gramps?

(I love stud but realize most NLHE players will never play it because "you can't get stacks in")
Stud is the gateway I am taking to teach circus games.
  1. NLHE Tournaments
  2. NLHE cash game
  3. Limit HE
  4. Pineapple
  5. Omaha (mixed levels of acceptance)
  6. 7-card Stud (we are here)
  7. Pot-Limit Stud tournament
  8. Razz
  9. Hi-low game (undecided game at this time, but something that involves split pots).
  10. SOHE
  11. This oysters been cracked, give them the options as to what plays next.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom