Cash Game Progressive Kill Pot Structure (1 Viewer)

What say you?

• I like the progressive kill structure with no limitations.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I like the progressive kill structure, but with a hard cap on the stakes.

• I like the progressive kill structure, but with a qualifier that scales to the stakes.

• I like the progressive kill structure, but with a hard cap and a scaled qualifier.

• FFS, quit trying to be fancy and just do a normal full kill to $4/$8.

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters

Jimulacrum

Full House
Reaction score
What do y'all think about a kill pot structure for a limit (circus) mixed game where the stakes escalate gradually for each subsequent kill?

For example, normal stakes are $2/$4. First scooped pot of 20 big bets ($80) or more bumps the stakes to $3/$6.

Next kill-qualifying pot would bump the stakes to $4/$8, and then $5/$10, and so on (or not; perhaps it would be wise to set a hard cap). Also possible: the kill-pot qualifier scales so that it's 20 big bets of the current stakes (e.g., $120 at $3/$6, $200 at $5/$10).

I don't have a game that uses any of this, just thinking about it from a theoretical perspective.

I think that could get a little extreme, but maybe have the escalation reset every time a new game is called? Could keep it from getting out of hand.

In my experience, pot-limit circus games are in for stacks extremely often. Raising the blinds is virtually meaningless

...Or it only escalates to the level 2 kill on hands that were already at the level 1 kill. i.e. the kill resets after a non-kill pot. In this scenario... it will rarely escalate above the second kill level.

...oops, saw the words pot, and limit, and glued them together, throwing out all the words in-between. :oops:

I think it adds a level of complexity to what can already be a complex game. You are adding "what are the blinds at" to "what game are we playing", but not really adding any intrinsic value.

If you wanted to do it, you might want cards or a cube to indicate the current blind level. Some hands can take a long time to resolve, so a visual indicator would be handy, IMO.

I kind of like it.

I assume the kill would only progress if it's the same player scooping multiple kill pots in a row?

I have played in a mixed limit game that used a 1/2 kill for any scooped pot with Xbb in it for split pot games. It was a $5/10 limit game and if the kill was on we went to $7.50/$15 (pink chip game).

The games changed every 8 hands already, dealing with keeping track of progressive blinds would have been annoying.

Circus games bring enough excitement and change already.

I say do a Kill or don't. Anything more complicated just slows things down too much and you end up "Killing" your game
(see poll results)

Typically in hold'em, a kill is initiated when a person wins two hands in a row. In mixed pot games, the kill occurs when a pot is scooped (and pot size requirements are met).

The way I see this working is as follows:
Hand 1: Standard betting levels
Result 1: Player A scoops
Hand 2: is a kill pot a Level 1 kill

if Result 2: Player B scoops (or any player scoops)
then Hand 3: is a kill pot a Level 2 kill

if Result 2: Pot is split
then Hand 3: back to standard betting levels and kill is reset

In this method, it is easy to keep track of, the betting levels only increase from the current kill to the next kill at the time that a scoop occurs. No need to "remember" anything.

Typically in hold'em, a kill is initiated when a person wins two hands in a row. In mixed pot games, the kill occurs when a pot is scooped (and pot size requirements are met).

The way I see this working is as follows:
Hand 1: Standard betting levels
Result 1: Player A scoops
Hand 2: is a kill pot a Level 1 kill

if Result 2: Player B scoops (or any player scoops)
then Hand 3: is a kill pot a Level 2 kill

if Result 2: Pot is split
then Hand 3: back to standard betting levels and kill is reset

In this method, it is easy to keep track of, the betting levels only increase from the current kill to the next kill at the time that a scoop occurs. No need to "remember" anything.

Correct on all counts. You're thinking about it how I'm thinking about it. It's really less complicated than it seems on paper.

Sure looks like no one would be happy with it, though. Normal full kill to $4/$8 would probably be a better choice.

Correct on all counts. You're thinking about it how I'm thinking about it. It's really less complicated than it seems on paper.

Sure looks like no one would be happy with it, though. Normal full kill to $4/$8 would probably be a better choice.

Sounds fun to me... wouldn't get that high very often.

I'm not a fan of kill games (no surprise there, as I think randomly raising of cash game stakes is stupid), but I do find half-kill games less offensive. I'd be okay with your scenario, and would prefer it to a full kill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom