Tourney Preferred starting bbs? (1 Viewer)

I just think a tournament that starts 200+bb deep, but by the money has an avg stack around 25bb is not as good as one that starts shorter but keeps the avg higher throughout.
This is not accurate, nor possible. The average stack size when reaching the money (given the same number of players and payouts) will be bigger with larger starting stacks. It's not possible to make higher average stacks out of smaller starting stacks.

This is not accurate, nor possible. The average stack size when reaching the money (given the same number of players and payouts) will be bigger with larger starting stacks. It's not possible to make higher average stacks out of smaller starting stacks.
Let me rephrase, the avg bb/stack. Which is more important than actual stack size. I never think of stack sizes in terms of actual chips, only in terms of bbs.

Primarily a cash player here.

I generally prefer 200bb, but am open to various amounts depending upon the nature of the tournament and can have fun with most formats/structures.

I think 200+ is just wasting time.
We disagree....

I generally like to play cash, so taking too long in any low buyin small field tourney feels awful to me.
...and that's probably why. I prefer cash, too, but I've found an appreciation for tournaments of various styles and structures.

Let me rephrase, the avg bb/stack. Which is more important than actual stack size. I never think of stack sizes in terms of actual chips, only in terms of bbs.
Same difference. More chips = more bbs.

Same difference. More chips = more bbs.
Ummmm.... What? More total bbs at a given level for sure, but that is not a guarentee of larger average bb/stack at the money. This is where level length becomes important. The avg bb/stack at the money in a tourney that starts deep can certainly be lower than one that starts shallower. You just adjust the levels and level length and voila.

More time per level will generally lead to larger avg stacks. And a tourney with smaller starting stack and longer levels can end in the same amount of time as one with a deeper starting stack and shorter levels. The difference is the shorter stacked tourney will maintain a higher avg stack through the middle and later stages of the tournament.

It's simply a function of how many hands can get played per level.

• 300 BB with 2-minute blind levels
  • 10 BB with 60-minute blind levels
If we take your own example from earlier, which of these 2 extreme situations will result in a higher avg bbs/stack at the money. In the first you would be lucky to play 2 hands per level. So as the tournament goes on, the avg bbs/stack almost always decreases as people simply can move cops around enough to bust prior before the blinds get too big. In the 2nd it almost always increases until more stacks start to cluster around the avg. After the flurry of all in situations dies down, the avg bbs/stack increases.

So it's fairly certain that situation 2 ends with higher avg bbs/stack at the money even though the actual amount of chips is lower.

BB of a starting stack alone means nothing to me.
I look for level duration and structure progression first, then BB came in 3rd position in my checklist list.

BB of a starting stack alone means nothing to me.
I look for level duration and structure progression first, then BB came in 3rd position in my checklist list.
It is indeed a balancing act. I'm sure there is some equalization point where a tournament with large enough starting stacks and shorter levels will produce similar avg stacks relative to the blind level around the money as a tournament with shorter starting stacks and longer levels. But in general I am willing to sacrifice deep play early for more play in the middle to late stages.

And again, nothing against people that disagree with my point, but I feel some have tought I'm just wrong for thinking this way. If that wasn't the intent, then I apologize for taking it as such. I'm generally always happy to play in a tournament. I just want people to have more room to play in the later stages rather than having an abundance of play early.

It is indeed a balancing act. I'm sure there is some equalization point where a tournament with large enough starting stacks and shorter levels will produce similar avg stacks relative to the blind level around the money as a tournament with shorter starting stacks and longer levels. But in general I am willing to sacrifice deep play early for more play in the middle to late stages.

And again, nothing against people that disagree with my point, but I feel some have tought I'm just wrong for thinking this way. If that wasn't the intent, then I apologize for taking it as such. I'm generally always happy to play in a tournament. I just want people to have more room to play in the later stages rather than having an abundance of play early.
My biggest issue is your insistence that your point is correct, and the use of absolute terms to negate and describe the points of the majority (deep stacks = waste of time, etc.). Although it may come as a surprise, it's entirely possible that you not only hold an opposing view to that of the majority, but that it may also be wrong.

Opinions are fine. Dictating them as absolutes with no evidence of proof is not.

My biggest issue is your insistence that your point is correct, and the use of absolute terms to negate and describe the points of the majority (deep stacks = waste of time, etc.). Although it may come as a surprise, it's entirely possible that you not only hold an opposing view to that of the majority, but that it may also be wrong.

Opinions are fine. Dictating them as absolutes with no evidence of proof is not.
I guess it wasn't obvious that my use of "IMO" multiple times, even though not directly tied to the "waste of time" phrasing, was unclear that I'm staying an opinion. I just don't want to have to constantly say IMO all the time.

Plus, there is no way to determine a "right" or "wrong" about this subject as it's all about preference. I thought that would be obvious. So I'm not saying anyone is wrong in any absolute sense because neither of us (or anyone else for that matter) can be wrong about the optimal tournament structure. I've only been defending why I prefer my system and trying to justify it.

I guess no matter how many times I say "if you want to play a certain way that's totally cool," it's not good enough, huh? I feel I've never been disrespectful or snarky until I made the "Um.... What?" comment. Which was simply me being somewhat confused that you didn't seem to understand how starting stack sizes don't solely dictate the avg bb/stack at the money. One only need to look at the difference between the Main Event, and another tournament starting with the same chips and 30 min blind levels to realize my point.

One only need to look at the difference between the Main Event, and another tournament starting with the same chips and 30 min blind levels to realize my point.
While the Main Event may be the called the pinnacle of the game, I personally don't think it is the "best" structure, and certainly not one that I think should be replicated in a home game environment.

While the Main Event may be the called the pinnacle of the game, I personally don't think it is the "best" structure, and certainly not one that I think should be replicated in a home game environment.
Very much agree. It's at the extreme of all 3 axes of poker tournaments structures. Very long levels, very deep starting stacks, very incremental blind increases. Leading to a situation where the average stack is 60+bb for the majority of the tournament.

Is this your opinion/guess, or do you have data to back it up?
I watched the live reporting and the PokerGO coverage every day. Avg stack for the majority of the middle days up till about the final 6-8 tables was around 60bb. Sometimes a little under, sometimes a little over. Usually lower at the beginning of a level and higher toward the end (which makes sense). Once everyone tightened up and staring stalling for pay jumps and tanking all their decisions, it started to drop and I believe was under 50 at one point. The start of the final table had an average of 57bb. This is easy to find by looking at the start of day coverage for any of the days, finding the avg stack, and dividing by the BB amount.

Not that I don't think this is bad per say. Just not ideal obviously for home or daily tournaments unless everyone really knows what they are getting into.

Edit: Start of Day 3 had an average of 74bb. Start of Day 4, just after the bubble burst the average was 50bb thanks to bubble stalling. Start of day 5 was back up to 60bb. Start of day 6 was still 60bb. Start of day 7 (playing down to final 9) was 49bb.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom