Cash Game Pot Limit 7 Card Stud? (1 Viewer)

rjbf65

Two Pair
Reaction score
Long time game I’ve played in has historically been .25/.25 No limit Holdem and the occasional Omaha hand. Last week to my surprise the group decided to play full orbits of dealers choice games and 7 Card Stud came up a few times. We decided to play it as pot limit and it seemed to work ok for us. The 7 Card Stud hands seemed to play bigger for us but I felt there were some bigger than normally expected hand made in the limited exposure we had to it. (Couple players with a flush etc..). We also did a .25 ante and a .25 bring in. Then pot limit from there.

Is it advisable to keep playing it in this fashion? I was going to propose a $1 dealer ante vs the normal .25 ante. But other than that is pot limit for Stud a little much due to the extra betting round? To me I liked it as it kept bluffing opportunities in play, but it did seem to produce the biggest pots of the night. I’d prefer all games to play similar in size if possible.

Try playing a few hands of a seven card Hi-low game split pot.

It really keeps everyone in and plenty of bluffing opportunities too. You can vary by exposing a hole cards or players option to roll their own it’s pretty fun and the pot size is generally large

Long time game I’ve played in has historically been .25/.25 No limit Holdem and the occasional Omaha hand. Last week to my surprise the group decided to play full orbits of dealers choice games and 7 Card Stud came up a few times. We decided to play it as pot limit and it seemed to work ok for us. The 7 Card Stud hands seemed to play bigger for us but I felt there were some bigger than normally expected hand made in the limited exposure we had to it. (Couple players with a flush etc..). We also did a .25 ante and a .25 bring in. Then pot limit from there.

Is it advisable to keep playing it in this fashion? I was going to propose a $1 dealer ante vs the normal .25 ante. But other than that is pot limit for Stud a little much due to the extra betting round? To me I liked it as it kept bluffing opportunities in play, but it did seem to produce the biggest pots of the night. I’d prefer all games to play similar in size if possible.
Pot limit stud is a good way to make pots become gigantic. Especially with the size of the ante you used. Think about it this way, in NLHE and PLO at your stakes, the pot is .50 before any action takes place. With the way you played stud, it's now $1.25 - $2.25 before any action, AND the game contains an extra betting round compared to NLHE and PLO.

Stud is not really meant to be played pot limit, but if your going to with a frac being your smallest chip, I'd use an ante button that moves around the table and make the total ante a flat .25 and the bring in .25. Realistically, it should be more like a .20 ante and .10 bring in given the extra betting round to bring the pot size and swings more in line with your NLHE and PLO stakes.

Pot limit stud is a good way to make pots become gigantic. Especially with the size of the ante you used. Think about it this way, in NLHE and PLO at your stakes, the pot is .50 before any action takes place. With the way you played stud, it's now $1.25 - $2.25 before any action, AND the game contains an extra betting round compared to NLHE and PLO.

Stud is not really meant to be played pot limit, but if your going to with a frac being your smallest chip, I'd use an ante button that moves around the table and make the total ante a flat .25 and the bring in .25. Realistically, it should be more like a .20 ante and .10 bring in given the extra betting round to bring the pot size and swings more in line with your NLHE and PLO stakes.

We all enjoyed the game and I think overall prefer for it to not be fixed limit. I think this is good way to approach it. Either a .25 or .50 dealer ante, a .25 Bring in and then take it from there.

Look up the rules for Tahoe pitch and roll. Basically, pot limit stud games play better if you eliminate one round of betting by dealing 4th and 5th consecutively before betting.

And yes, button ante should be similar in size to the bring in, so .25 button ante would be more appropriate, then the complete can be .75, or $1 if you round up. If you use individual ante at those stakes it should be 5 cents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom