Poll: Mixing CPC Weighted and Non-Weighted (2 Viewers)

You're creating a CPC custom chip set, would the weight of the color change your color selection?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven't felt them enough, just show me results

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

NotRealNameNoSir

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hello! I used the search function but wanted to consolidate some opinions, plus a poll about the weights of CPC colors. @Himewad 's 500 piece is gorgeous and dayglo, but I'll need to add some weighted colors also. Should I be concerned about mixing these two types?

Below are some opinions I found rooting around, just checking to see whether there's a concensus on this.
@AZBOARDER13 I don't have a scale but I would say it's not an issue. The non-weighteds are lighter by the hand scale if you are comparing them chip to chip, but once you get them in a set it is not really noticeable. You can really only tell if you are trying to tell the difference. I think the bigger difference is the appearance of the brass flakes or not in weighted vs. unweighted chips which is the biggest reason I do not have a canary chip in the lineup.
I suppose it depends what you are used to. If leaded THC is your flavor then yes across the board. If TCR RHCs then not so much.

There is a noticeable difference in that weighty feel shuffling the chocolate dimes and blurple 20s vs the $5s in my set for example.

I’m not obsessed with weight but they felt a tad light when I first received them. After handling them for a bit that noticeable weight went away. Mold plays a huge part in feel as well.
That said I got hung up on the not mixing weighted and not weighted together and after several sets from CPC, in play and overall look it doesn't make a difference. I say don't limit your choices because of it.
Im mainly worried about the brass flakes but maybe that is just not an issue... :)
The weight difference is so subtle- go with the colors you like.

Seems everything is pointing to just use the colors you like and don't worry too much about the difference in weight. I'm not a leaded-THC-only person so I'm hoping I won't even notice it. Very excited, eventually gunning for a custom hotstamp set on CPC so I'm daydreaming already. Thanks for any input. Any "yes, I would change my mind" please make sure to comment why, if you've had experience in the past or anything.

Mix 'em up. The weight between denoms is negligible. Though depending on the mold, I do feel a difference between a set with unweighted and weighted colors.

For example, @72o 's Knollwoods use all weighted base colors on the A-mold. After an afternoon playing on my Ironbound Lounge chips with all unweighted base colors on the DSQ mold, his chips felt a bit noticeably heavier when we felted them later that night. It's not a bad thing, however. I think mold choice matters way more in terms of feel than base color choice.

Damn! Good to see everyone still in agreeance, hope this helps the next mook searching for the answer. I'll leave this up for any Yes's that may arise.
I'm in the process of making my own custom CPC; go with the colors you like 99% of the time. Some of the best CPC sets mix weighted and unweighted colors, and having played with a couple, I don't really notice a difference.
I gotta ask, do you have an example of the 1% that you wouldnt mix for? Just curious.

Per the CPC website, the difference between a weighted chip and a non-weighted chip is 0.5 grams per chip, or 10 grams per barrel. That's equivalent to about 0.35 ounces.

I would guess that the vast majority of people would not be able to tell the difference.

And even if I could tell the difference, the appearance of the chips is much more important to me than one-third of an ounce difference per barrel.

Damn! Good to see everyone still in agreeance, hope this helps the next mook searching for the answer. I'll leave this up for any Yes's that may arise.

I gotta ask, do you have an example of the 1% that you wouldnt mix for? Just curious.
no example that I can think of. I imagine the only time you wouldn't use the unweighted colors is if cost was an issue. And that's really only for base color; you can still use unweighted as spot colors without added premium. The weight difference as a spot color is probably (?) negligible.

no example that I can think of. I imagine the only time you wouldn't use the unweighted colors is if cost was an issue. And that's really only for base color; you can still use unweighted as spot colors without added premium. The weight difference as a spot color is probably (?) negligible.
Good call. Okay, I appreciate the input. Yeah I'm not wealthy but an extra 15cent per chip is very doable if I'm already dropping $1000+

WOW, zip em up! Okay, deal. If the one yes wants to come out and tell us why, feel free lol, otherwise I guess we're done here. Excited to eventually set it up.

My set is mixed. I can't tell the difference in weight at all.

The only difference I can tell is the lack of sparkle on the unweighted colors, but it's pretty negligible and I probably only notice because I knew to look for it.

Hands down I would mix to get the colors you want.

My set is mixed as well. In my opinion, the noticeable difference between weighted and unweighted colors is that the unweighted colors are more saturated or pure. (I hope my color terminology is correct.)

I have a vague recollection of reading that there are weight differences between colors. Using my kitchen scale set to grams (rounded), I weighed pairs of weighted chips of the same color. The pairs weighed between 17 and 20 grams, or roughly 8.5 to 10 grams each. These chips are all on the CSQ mold and have small labels. This little study shows that most sets are likely to have chips with a mix of weights.

I agree that color is the bigger factor.

*** Doesn't everyone weigh chips when they can't sleep?

I can notice a difference, but only if I'm fondling my chips and trying to notice. At the same time, I can notice the difference between different weighted base color chips too (CSQ thickness variations probably?).

FWIW, a decade ago the idea of mixing chips in a set concerned me. For my 2022 set I decided retro red (along with light blue and canary) was required regardless, and I'm happy with that choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom