Poker Event RSVP / Notification Method (1 Viewer)

I've tried several things. I'll start with things that I've used but don't like or things I'm not sure of.

I created a website, but it took little time to dislike that. Someone pointed out that my game time and address is posted for the whole world to see. I'm pretty security conscious and don't want an invitation to come rob us. It got inquiries from people I wasn't sure about. So I quit using it.

FaceBook can work, but a lot of people aren't on FB, so it's not a good single solution. Just make sure you restrict it to those who join the group.

My general rule is I don't want invitations going to people I don't know.

Texting works, but I find it cumbersome. It has the advantage of only going to who you know is on your list though. I've used it some.

Email is my primary method. By now I have a name with every email address. Definitely do that! If you don't know what name is attached to the email address, be careful. Google Groups is free but is limited to only 100 people. I did set up a GG for our group, but I supplement with an email list. I found some people can't get the GG emails and I haven't figured out why. Some work places either have some kind of block or some restrictions where people can't respond. For those who have trouble with the GG, I put them on a separate email list and put those addresses in the BCC section. If you send emails, send the list in the BCC section. For me the GG goes in the "To" and the supplemental list goes in the BCC.

An internal work email system could be problematic for several reasons. The powers that be might not like it, but even if they are OK with it, it limits players to those you work with. If that's what you want, that's fine.

In the past, one of the players set up some kind of response on the internet. It was pretty secure and worked well, but I don't know how to do that.

Homepokersystem and Punchbowl sound like they are worth at least checking out.

I typically send 3 invites. One 12-15 days before the game, one about a week before, and one 2 two days before. My game is normally at a regularly scheduled day, but I sometimes have to move it. I have a list around the same size as BG's. At least once a year I offer people the chance to get off the list since most never come. I'm not sure why they remain on the list. Sometimes someone asks off, but it's rare.

BG, does your website track responses? How do you coordinate that with email responses?

BG, does your website track responses? How do you coordinate that with email responses?
It only tracks visitor count. I wrote it all in html many years ago (using Notepad!), and it has served me well.

The small monthly web updates are easy enough, and rsvp's are accepted via email, phone, or in person (one can sign up for the next event immediately upon the conclusion of the current one).

I've looked at several alternate choices over the years (including a few posted in this thread), but I've never found anything compelling enough to make me want to change (or pay).

Evite just announced an enhancement to send invites as text messages. It was just email addresses. Probably a good feature to add lest they get left behind. I haven't used it yet. Has anybody used it yet?

https://www.evite.com

Evite is great because it tracks RSVP for you. I don't have time to keep track in my head of who is in and who is out and who asked to bring a friend etc.

Might be more extreme than you need, but I went the route of building my own secure website. I had ZERO website building experience before, and found it pretty easy once I got into it. The RSVPs are embedded into my website.

I used other methods, Evite, etc., but found building my own website was the best way to go because I run multiple tournaments and it is easier to track leader board performance for multiple tournaments that way.

Facebook is also great and easy, but I have too many players that are not on FB.

View attachment 105004

This is going to be my solution. The benefits to me, for customization and long term use out weigh other options

WordPress is the route I will go. Easy to use.

Wordpress is great but as a web guy myself it's super, super important to make sure it and especially all the plug ins get updated. Because of its popularity and extensibility the platform is a frequent hacker target. WP has gotten a lot better over the years but outdated plug ins continue to be a problem, not just from the standpoint of people not applying updates (which can and should be done automatically) but authors abandoning them and not fixing known issues.

I'd still never store anything on a WP site that I wouldn't mind a) losing and/or b) having printed on the front page of the Times.

Wordpress is great but as a web guy myself it's super, super important to make sure it and especially all the plug ins get updated. Because of its popularity and extensibility the platform is a frequent hacker target. WP has gotten a lot better over the years but outdated plug ins continue to be a problem, not just from the standpoint of people not applying updates (which can and should be done automatically) but authors abandoning them and not fixing known issues.

I'd still never store anything on a WP site that I wouldn't mind a) losing and/or b) having printed on the front page of the Times.
Completely agree; plugin updates are a must!! I do 3 or 4 updates per week. I also avoid plugins that are no longer maintained and/or pushing out updates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom