Pocket Jacks tourney spot (1 Viewer)

What would you do?

• Total voters
I voted call, but may jam. For me its a coin toss a lot of the time, and the only hands I really fold out that I want to fold with a jam are AQ and KQ. And even then the tournaments I play in, there is a big chance that AQ comes along.

My concern is I so rarely see 1010 there when they call.

Yeah, I think I call.

I don't want to give the raiser a chance to fold the bottom part of his range, so I call with the intention of getting all in when he c-bets the flop.

If I think that the raiser will call my 3bet prefop with a pretty wide range, then I'll quit with the FPS and just shove.

I don't want to give the raiser a chance to fold the bottom part of his range, so I call with the intention of getting all in when he c-bets the flop.

If I think that the raiser will call my 3bet prefop with a pretty wide range, then I'll quit with the FPS and just shove.

This was why I voted call

FWIW I think calling is a horrible mistake in this spot. OP said that villain is aggressive pre and post flop, so villain has a wider range here . Hero’s stack is pretty low and calling basically commits him to the pot anyway. JJ is ahead of AQ and AK so I don’t know why anyone would be afraid of being called down by those hands preflop. By just calling you are putting yourself in a terrible position. What do you do if any overcard comes on the flop? Fold? Then you put yourself in a bad position to be bluffed by any two cards villain raised with. If the flop is undercards and you decide to jam, not only will you be exclusively called by hands that have you beat, but you fold out the hands that missed like AK and AQ and lose the value you would have gotten by jamming preflop. You also want this hand to get heads up and it would be bad to go to the flop multiway.

FWIW I think calling is a horrible mistake in this spot. OP said that villain is aggressive pre and post flop, so villain has a wider range here . Hero’s stack is pretty low and calling basically commits him to the pot anyway. JJ is ahead of AQ and AK so I don’t know why anyone would be afraid of being called down by those hands preflop. By just calling you are putting yourself in a terrible position. What do you do if any overcard comes on the flop? Fold? Then you put yourself in a bad position to be bluffed by any two cards villain raised with. If the flop is undercards and you decide to jam, not only will you be exclusively called by hands that have you beat, but you fold out the hands that missed like AK and AQ and lose the value you would have gotten by jamming preflop. You also want this hand to get heads up and it would be bad to go to the flop multiway.
The premise is that villains 3-bet preflop calling range is much narrower than his post-flop c-betting range. We are almost always going to get it in with this hand no matter what, but we face a weaker range if we slow play a bit preflop.

The premise is that villains 3-bet preflop calling range is much narrower than his post-flop c-betting range. We are almost always going to get it in with this hand no matter what, but we face a weaker range if we slow play a bit preflop.

The range that villain gets it in with on the flop is much stronger than the one that gets it in preflop. Additionally, if any overcard flops what is your plan when villain cbets? What do you think his calling range is to a jam then? JJ is not a good hand to slowplay because it is generally not that strong of a hand relative to the board once the cards come out. You also shouldn’t have a problem with folding some of villains weaker hands like 78ss because those still have decent equity against JJ so it’s ok to just take the pot down right here with a jam.

We are in position right? Based on what we know with him and his post-flop aggression, I am expecting him to bet at most flops. I think most flops allow us to jam over a bet. 1 overcard would not prevent me from doing that.

I guess most people have voted by now. I jammed, and it folded back around to villain, who happened to have the very top of his range. He flopped a set of aces, and I failed to go perfect perfect (or even just halfway) and that was it.

I guess most people have voted by now. I jammed, and it folded back around to villain, who happened to have the very top of his range. He flopped a set of aces, and I failed to go perfect perfect (or even just halfway) and that was it.

SO.. when I randomly generated the seating, you were originally supposed to be at the Maryland table. I had 2 late people at the green table .. and moved you over. You can blame me for your misfortune..

Tragic.

Really not much of a decision here. Only thing you did wrong was catching JJ when a LAGgy opponent caught AA.

Chippy,
Sorry a little late to this thread that my first thought was does this villain despite his being overly aggressive understand the significance of position. If he is truly under the gun then his raise should mean quite a bit despite his aggressive tendencies. Also when thinking about the ranges that jacks are ahead of you will be ahead of a lot of hands pre-flop but don’t have a dominating position on anything other than low pairs and all out bluffs.

If all you need is a small edge, then jam. Otherwise wait and let your superior skill win the day.

Sorry he had AA

Jam > Call > Raise > Fold

There is no way you could've folded here, and you didn't have enough chips to raise. Hard luck with the AA but I guess you made the right move preflop

I caught perfect-perfect in a qq v kk pot once.

It was awesome.

But it's the right play. Better luck next time.

Chippy,
Sorry a little late to this thread that my first thought was does this villain despite his being overly aggressive understand the significance of position. If he is truly under the gun then his raise should mean quite a bit despite his aggressive tendencies. Also when thinking about the ranges that jacks are ahead of you will be ahead of a lot of hands pre-flop but don’t have a dominating position on anything other than low pairs and all out bluffs.

If all you need is a small edge, then jam. Otherwise wait and let your superior skill win the day.

Sorry he had AA

Even though he was very aggressive, I got the impression that he didn't have that much experience, so I didn't really give pause to him raising under the gun. I figured he'd most likely fold, and I could add 20% to my stack without having to see a flop that is most likely less than favorable and would put me to a tough decision. I only wish the hand had happened right before the rebuy period had ended lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom