Pocket Jacks again (1 Viewer)

*** Results ***

Hero folds, CO calls.

The villains check it down till the end.

Final board: < :8d: :kc: :3h > :qs: :6c:
UTG+1 tables :ah: :3c: for bottom pair.
CO tables :tc: :8c: for the winner.

In the end the hand is all about assigning ranges to UTG+1 - and it seems that Hero got it really wrong. Though I assign 5% of almost any range to wild & crazy hands, I suspect her actual range was far wider than I thought at the time. Limp / min reraise seems strong but in her case it wasn't {this time}.

Boogers! got out played -=- DrStrange

Doc, do you see any merit in 4-betting pre given your early read she was playing a little looser that particular night and the SPR after the 3-bet? Not that I think you'd be called by worse 'cause I think she'd fold A3 and ship hands that beat you... She 'might' flat AK/AQ but at least you'd know where you stood... If you're willing to flat a flop ½ pot bet whatever the flop is, is it better to be aggressor pre and be done with the hand one way or another? Just curious of your thoughts...

Last edited:
Hero had not ever seen villain take this line. It is a 'pot sweetener' raise - there is no hand hero might have originally raised with that isn't going to call a min raise. Villain has to know that both Hero and CO are calling the raise and that she will be out of position {though maybe she doesn't care about position?}. Villain is not Crazy or crazy, she is trying to make rational plays that win more than they lose.

Hero's range was top 2% hands, KK+, AK maybe QQ or JJ plus a small number of less powerful hands. It could be this was a one-off flier or it could be a meaningful change in her strategy.

There is RIO problem with a four bet pre plus Hero gives up the opportunity of set mining cheap and occasionally stacking an over pair with a set. Even if villain is playing somewhat looser tonight her range is still filled with dominating hands and racing hands. So Hero's raise is getting relatively few folds with some calls and some raises. However, now that I have seen her take this line with ace-rag off-suit, I think Hero is more inclined to be more aggressive should villain do this again.

This hand offered Hero a +EV, low variance chance to set mine. [ Hero can venture into more risky lines with an overpair post flop but that is a mostly independent decision from set mining. ] I can't make the math work out for a 4-bet to be more profitable than calling and set mining without having a wildly wide range for villain.

You can be sure Hero is keeping a careful eye on this villain the next few sessions to see if her game is evolving or if this was a once-off whimsy.

DrStrange

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom