PLO getting it in prelop Good play or spew? (1 Viewer)

NICE! or SPEW

• Nice

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Spew

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been called many things at the poker table. First time for “spirit animal” thou. I like it!
My turning point was you telling the story last year at @Seeking Alpha Social Club meetup about you and your buddies playing some WSOP NLHE event...maybe monster stack? Your buddies all busted out and were going to play BigO, so you shipped it blind next hand to go play with them. I have been in awe ever since.

Getting all in pre with that hand is also great for the image. Once people think u are a crazy cowboy with a wide range u will get paid off a lot more and get invited to awesome private games! Trust me I know!

Btw, quick war story about last night playing plo. I have :ac: :ts::js::8c:. I call two pre flop raises in early position. Flop is:ks::qs::9h: yum yum. I bet pot. 2 callers. Turn is:9s:. Yum flipping yum. I check, 2nd guy checks. 3 guy pots. I call. Other guy calls. River is:9d:. I bet out 40% of the pot. Next guy raises pot. 3rd guy tank goes all in for less!!!! I go all in. 2nd guy calls all in. St8 flush over quads over Ks full. Holly crap. I give the dealer a big hug and a big tip.

Nice vote has been logged! I am definitely on ur side! I will never fold a suited ace pre. The beautiful thing about a cash game is u can always rebuy. The beautiful thing about plo is there will always be opportunities to win ur money back from the last hand. Last night I was on my 6th rebuy before I got rolling. Just a typical night for me. Haha.

Hopefully this was more than .10/.20 PLO

i have a lot of experience playing spewy, and getting it in pre in this spot is a spew, in plo terms. it's because you can justify with close equities and pot odds, that it is a spew in plo, because you could justify a lot of hands that way. that being said, i'd probably still take this spot with even just a slightly better hand, even 789T because i hate folding, just don't want to be too dominated. calling a single raise mayyyybe even 3bet with your exact hand is definitely fine imo.

also for me, i don't mind spewing to friends and being the action guy but against randos online i'm not going to give them this much action, i'd be playing more to straight up make money and to me this spot is breakeven or slightly worse at best. at this particular table i'm sure there are a lot more profitable ways to play. for example, lots of times the crazy preflop guys play weirdly fit or fold on the flop, so you can make a lot esp in position, bluffing/stuffing it with premium draws and nutted hands etc normal plo shit.

My turning point was you telling the story last year at @Seeking Alpha Social Club meetup about you and your buddies playing some WSOP NLHE event...maybe monster stack? Your buddies all busted out and were going to play BigO, so you shipped it blind next hand to go play with them. I have been in awe ever since.
It was the colossus wsop holdem event. I had a $500 last longer bet with a friend (who is a poker pro). He comes over to my table, drops $500 in my lap and says nice win. The very next hand I shoved all in blind so I could go play in the big o cash game.

@grebe pickup Rolf Slotbooms book on PLO as he can explain the short stacking strat better than me

But essentially in this hand you were too deep, especially in relation to your opponents.

Generally you want to have 40-50 bigs while they are 200-400+ bb deep. This gives them enough stack depth to fold postflop, allowing you to get a shot at 3-5x'ing your stack while only having to beat one opponent

An example would be the game at Luckys. You can minbuy $200 and it's 1/2 with a $5 mandatory straddle, so you are 40bb effective

Toss in unlimited restraddles and now you're even shallower, while the guys with 1-3k have to proceed more cautiously given how deep they are

Last edited:
If you play two big stacks against each other, possibility is good that you can play for a triple up against one opponent instead of two, as they will bet each other off the hand on the flop. Thus, you only need to be good 33% of the time to break even.
When playing for stacks what happens the other 66% of the time?

Disregard, already asked and answered- lol.

Until I went back and looked, I forgot this hand was only 4 handed....6 Max table, but 2 empty seats.

That probably matters a bit, but I agree with the general consensus that this was totally unnecessary to get it in preflop, and was a gross misunderstanding of a concept.

I'll post the hand history when I can, but poker bros is acting up right now. The basics are I flop two pair with the nut flush draw, BB shoves and button folds. BB has AKXX double suited and has like 10 percent equity. We run once and hit the flush and hold for the triple up.

My takeaway from this hand is this:. I didn't need to get this in preflop, I could have easily had the same results by calling, then getting the money in when I am a massive favorite, or folding to a bad flop. My line was high variance for no good reason... Especially in these games where post flop play is so poor.

Until I went back and looked, I forgot this hand was only 4 handed....6 Max table, but 2 empty seats.

That probably matters a bit, but I agree with the general consensus that this was totally unnecessary to get it in preflop, and was a gross misunderstanding of a concept.

I'll post the hand history when I can, but poker bros is acting up right now. The basics are I flop two pair with the nut flush draw, BB shoves and button folds. BB has AKXX double suited and has like 10 percent equity. We run once and hit the flush and hold for the triple up.

My takeaway from this hand is this:. I didn't need to get this in preflop, I could have easily had the same results by calling, then getting the money in when I am a massive favorite, or folding to a bad flop. My line was high variance for no good reason... Especially in these games where post flop play is so poor.
Don’t mean to beat up on you, it seems to me that from your posts the only tool in your poker toolbox is a big fucking hammer. I think if tournament poker as an art, not a science. It has science (math) backing, but there is so much more at play than the math.
If all you did day in and day out for infinity was play poker against one person who played perfectly every time then “playing mathmatically perfect” might be the best strategy. But for tournament you have to factor in time pressure, blinds pressure, stack sizes, hand reads, and tells into decisions that can affect your tournament life. Solvers need to account for this somehow but I think they are lacking. Honestly I think the only use most solvers have is to support bad beat stories.

In NL games you can have a mathematically correct win rate and still be a losing player. You just can’t control the size of the pots to always be the same for any given situation.

Don’t mean to beat up on you, it seems to me that from your posts the only tool in your poker toolbox is a big fucking hammer. I think if tournament poker as an art, not a science. It has science (math) backing, but there is so much more at play than the math.
If all you did day in and day out for infinity was play poker against one person who played perfectly every time then “playing mathmatically perfect” might be the best strategy. But for tournament you have to factor in time pressure, blinds pressure, stack sizes, hand reads, and tells into decisions that can affect your tournament life. Solvers need to account for this somehow but I think they are lacking. Honestly I think the only use most solvers have is to support bad beat stories.

In NL games you can have a mathematically correct win rate and still be a losing player. You just can’t control the size of the pots to always be the same for any given situation.
To avoid bad vibes between us, I will just say "agree to disagree" and leave it at that.

you are my spirit animal
I am honored…… I will say though it’s the first time I have been called that…..
B8E01D96-289A-4E85-930C-0934A9A4FC95.jpeg

Edit - oops looks like I already responded to this…. I am getting old.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom