Play a 3rd hand with me on the money bubble (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
6 handed on money bubble of a $40 online tournament. 21 entrants, top 5 get paid (we square up via pp).

The structure of these events is absolutely fantastic, although this is a special holiday event for the 4th so it's even deeper (20k chips with 15 minute blinds). The majority of this field is very soft. Calling stations, payoff artists. There's a couple of decent players, but on the whole most are pretty bad (never saw a J2 s00ted UTG they didn't like)

For the past few weeks I've been bubbling the final table in fields of 20-35 players, so we're feeling great at the final table 2nd in chips.

Hero on Button with 90K
SB 24K
BB 32K
UTG 197K
UTG+1 20K
UTG+2 56K

blinds 900/1800 with a 225 ante.

UTG chip leader makes it 5400

folds to Hero on button with :ac::kh: Hero ??????

Let's flat and see a flop. I rate this as call > fold > raise. calling vs folding is a close decision to me. Hero stands to lose more than he gains in a 3-bet situation. Even more so when ITM considerations are taken into account. In truth I could easily talk myself into fold > call. By the way, I fold a flopped top pair / top kicker if villain leads the flop. We have a good villain read - let's use it.

This is choice is not conventional but . . . . 1) the tournament situation means Hero should not be eager to get into a fight with the chip leader. Every shorter stack is cheering each time hero goes into a big pot with the chip leader. 2) Hero's villain reads imply the villain means business when taking aggressive action. Why fight that tight a range.

Hero should be looking to pick fights with the other players. Going to battle vs an aggressive calling station seems like something to be done carefully.

DrStrange

I’d raise only if you are willing to get it all in pre with this hand. On the bubble second in chips, I am not willing to get it all in preflop so I’m just calling and folding the flop if I don’t hit a monster.

As chipleader I'm probably raising any two cards. You've got AK and crush that range. Getting 4bet sucks big time so just call and play IP.

6 handed on money bubble of a $40 online tournament. 21 entrants, top 5 get paid (we square up via pp).

The structure of these events is absolutely fantastic, although this is a special holiday event for the 4th so it's even deeper (20k chips with 15 minute blinds). The majority of this field is very soft. Calling stations, payoff artists. There's a couple of decent players, but on the whole most are pretty bad (never saw a J2 s00ted UTG they didn't like)

For the past few weeks I've been bubbling the final table in fields of 20-35 players, so we're feeling great at the final table 2nd in chips.

Hero on Button with 90K
SB 24K
BB 32K
UTG 197K
UTG+1 20K
UTG+2 56K

folds to Hero on button with :ac::kh: Hero calls 5400, BB calls 5400

Flop: :kc::7c::4s:

Pot: 18,450

BB checks, UTG checks, Hero ???

To me, the prize in the hand is the big blind's chips. But the 18K pot is pretty sweet too.

I am torn between checking (trapping) and betting trying to take down the pot.

I choose check over bet, but barely. Let's let BB hang themselves. And if UTG is trapping with a monster, maybe we can figure that out too.

Hero on Button with 90K
SB 24K
BB 32K
UTG 197K
UTG+1 20K
UTG+2 56K

folds to Hero on button with :ac::kh: Hero calls 5400, BB calls 5400

Flop: :kc::7c::4s:

Pot: 18,450

BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 9k, figuring it looks like a bet that could just be taking advantage of their checking, inducing them to play back at me, but they both fold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom