Planning On Some Hardscaping Work At My Home (3 Viewers)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Recently had a contractor install French drains and fix some missing fencing sections, but this project I want to do myself.

Going to add a flagstone entryway to my home. Originally was going to do something like this:

But thinking I may wind up just doing something like this instead:

the first one you have to dig the whole path out, put gravel and sand into the base, purchase a hand tamper to press it down, cut landscapers fabric to fight growth of weeds, plus pay for river rock and spread that as well. Just a ton more steps.

With the second option I just lay the flagstone, cut around it with a shovel, yank that dirt out, put some sand down for leveling and then put the flagstone step into the hole and make sure it's stable.

Looking to get that project done this weekend. There's a material company about half a mile up the street where I can purchase everything I need. After that is done my next project I want to create some river rock areas bordering my house and then put container plants for flowers throughout as well.

Depends on the look you’re trying to achieve. I used to do landscaping. Second option is obviously easier, yet give a clean look. I’d still put down gravel then leveling sand. Overtime the stone will become unlevel. Straight forward pathway depending how long it is. Whatever option you choose, it’ll turn out great since it was a diy project! Good luck!

If you have future plans to renovate, I’d go with option 2. You’ll enjoy the look too. Just make sure to keep it low enough. So you don’t take out a mower blade!

So given the significant amount of tree roots in my front yard, I've decided to expand my project

Going to dig a little each day so I don't kill myself

Then will purchase a tiller mattock and metal rake so I can remove the roots and smooth out the soil

Then get crushed gravel plus sand and a hand tamper, and do the full project

May wind up going with heavier and uniform stones similar to this instead of the flagstone (seems kinda thin and uneven when setting into the ground, making leveling a bit more of a chore

So something closer to this

Screenshot_20190318-223823_Google.jpg

Ya uneven stin is tough, although just a little more sand on one side compared to other. Bummer for all the roots. Been there it’s riygh going!

Might me best to go rent a mini skid steer, be done in no time! That looks rough! I was always taught when you can, “work smarter not harder” wishing you the best of luck

Last edited:
Rent a small trencher and run it down both sides of your walkway. Then you can just lift the damn roots out.

picked up a 10x10 hand tamper today plus some white pavers to use as stepping stones.

This week I'll be ordering up:

20 cubic feet of gravel base
9.5 cubic feet of sand
9.5 cubic feet of brown river rock

Figured the stepping stones will be light, with the river rock around them darker so each part stands out rather than blending in. Should be able to finish it this coming weekend before departing for the Georgia meetup

So the local dirt & stone place is half a mile up the road from me.

For all the materials I need it's under $100, but because my order is too small they won't deliver (they use dump trucks) and yet my order is too large for them to get it all bagged up (cause it's like 80 bags of gravel, sand and rock).

I may just wind up paying a lot more (about $350) to have Lowes deliver it all on pallets to my yard, but I'm double checking with another stone place in my town just to be sure.

Either way I go, it'll still be a lot cheaper than if I was paying someone else to do it.

So the local dirt & stone place is half a mile up the road from me.

For all the materials I need it's under $100, but because my order is too small they won't deliver (they use dump trucks) and yet my order is too large for them to get it all bagged up (cause it's like 80 bags of gravel, sand and rock).

I may just wind up paying a lot more (about $350) to have Lowes deliver it all on pallets to my yard, but I'm double checking with another stone place in my town just to be sure.

Either way I go, it'll still be a lot cheaper than if I was paying someone else to do it.
You think about renting a dump trailer if you have a vehicle to pull it with? Gotta love stone places!

Pallets from Lowes arrived yesterday. After work I got about half the paver base down

Hoping to finish the base tonight after work, and the whole thing Saturday

Attachments

• 20190328_191651.jpg
    20190328_191651.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20190328_191655.jpg
    20190328_191655.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 73

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom