Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
Do people still fall for these?
There are so many red flags. LOL

2016-08-16_13-52-00.jpg

Seems legit. They forgot to ask for your social security number though. Noobs!

Where in Nigeria do I sent my cash to?

Do people still fall for these?
Sadly, yes. We're required to make all employees watch a video/pass a test on cybersecurity annually. Among the topics covered is phishing. There are definitely some more advanced versions that hit the corporate world & the best ones can be tricky for the lay person to detect. But yeah...they're out there.

Seems legit. They forgot to ask for your social security number though. Noobs!

It's because of people like this that I include my SSN in my email signature. So many people forget to ask for it, I just figured this way everyone I send an email to will have it if they need it.

Last edited:
I think the purpose of badly worded phishing scams is to put people off guard.

"I can detect scams because they read like they were written by foreigners. Oh look, my bank sent me a very concise letter on bank letterhead, I should open the attachment..."

There is method to the madness. The obviousness of the scam actually helps the scam to run more efficiently. It's important to attract only those who are extremely - as in, beyond belief - gullible.

The scammer needs to keep as high a "completion rate" as possible, which is to say that it is a disaster of inefficiency if something like 90% or more of the people who begin a dialogue with the scammer eventually fail to complete the scam. It ends up consuming a fair bit of time to get even one person to the end of the scam, so to have to do some portion of that work ten times to get one guy to send the money is horribly inefficient.

So, paradoxically, it's better for the original email to be as poorly assembled as possible and to still communicate the essential message. The worse it appears, the higher the "completion rate" and therefore the higher the efficiency of the scam.

Of course, presumably, there is a breaking point where the number of people who fall for the scam drops so low that they have to make the letter slightly more intelligible. Judging from Trump's current numbers, the letter that hits that breaking point probably involves wingdings or a rebus.

I got caught once. I bought something off eBay. Two days later I got an email saying congrats on your purchase, click here for a $20 off coupon on your next purchase. The email contained the details of my order (item, pics, quantities etc), unreal!! When I clicked the coupon and tried to log into the eBay site, game over. I was smart and realized what happened, so called eBay and got everything reset. I didnt lose anything. But still, that was a pretty sophisticated scam. The dummy eBay site was a clone. I dont know how they did it but it was a perfect clone (search functionality and everything).

If you guys ever try log into a website and the login fails, with no error message, or even with an error message, and your credentials are correct, dont just assume its a glitch.

It's fundamentally a human problem. I've heard from various security experts that if you train the hell out of your people and test them regularly you can usually drive the fell-for-it rate down to about 15%. That might not sound like a lot but in an organization with 10,000 employees that's still 1,500. It only takes one to sink a ship.

Five years ago training employees was all the rage and considered adequate. It's still important but now companies are stepping up their controls on the front end to prevent these messages from reaching inboxes in the first place, or failing that, preventing the links from working.

It's fundamentally a human problem. I've heard from various security experts that if you train the hell out of your people and test them regularly you can usually drive the fell-for-it rate down to about 15%.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. If 15% of the employees of any organization other than Goodwill fall for this then we as a species are completely screwed.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. If 15% of the employees of any organization other than Goodwill fall for this then we as a species are completely screwed.
Actually I'd bet that the percentage of Goodwill employees with email is relatively low, so if you look at their entire employee base they might only have 5% of their employees fall for it. ;)

A slight clarification but it in no way invalidates your point - the 15% rate is not to a single phishing email. The idea is you're supposed to test multiple times a year, at least quarterly. The premise of the email is always different. Sometimes it's something like @Tommy posted. Other times it's an obviously faked Facebook friend request or a Microsoft scam. Some are more obvious than others. Anyway, the 15% represents the number of employees who will fall for at least one test in a given year. But still, if you're testing four times a year that's a horrific result.

Of course, these are just emails. Telephone calls are a lot more interesting.

Be aware of flash drives. They drop them around businesses, parking lots, etc, hoping someone will pick it up and put it in their computer. Depending how it is setup, the second you plug it in it installs malware or they will put certain files on it with interesting names. Ex: salaries_2016

I'd guess more than 15% of the folks around here would fall for that ^.

Add a Bud Jones or B&G file and you're probably looking at 20%+.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom