Permanent Marker (1 Viewer)

BNads86

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Got a bunch of these Diamond Tooth Gertie fracs that were massacred with permanent marker. If I could somehow get these cleaned off, it would go a long way to getting me towards a completed set.

I assume these are unsalvageable, but any thoughts on how to remove this without taking the hot stamp with it?

Attachments

• IMG_3164.jpeg
    IMG_3164.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 93
The very best thing to remove permanent marker is heptane. Bestine rubber cement thinner is 100% heptane and is amazing stuff for indelible marker and gummy adhesives.
You can also find heptane in many spray carburetor cleaners, but beware…some of those can also contain acetone, so read the label carefully. And always test in a very small spot or on a non-critical chip.

There is an other potential issue, however. If the marker has stained the chip, you may never get it completely off, even with a good solvent.

You are welcome to post the Name of the person that did this so that we may curse their name and they can live in SHAME!!! SHAME!

Another option would be to mill it and add a label, these should be used as 1s or 100s imo

I'll try rubbing alcohol first, as on a quick search I can only find large jugs of Bestine. Will try that after. I'll update with results!

Got a bunch of these Diamond Tooth Gertie fracs that were massacred with permanent marker. If I could somehow get these cleaned off, it would go a long way to getting me towards a completed set.

I assume these are unsalvageable, but any thoughts on how to remove this without taking the hot stamp with it?
I would start by trying a couple of drops of Dawn soap; let is sit for 30+ minutes or so, and then rinse off.

I discovered ink on my white quartz counter one time and did this with Dawn. It pulled the ink right out with no damage. Although, I do not know if the ink was from a permanent marker. But this seems much less likely to damage the chip; thus, worth a try.

Good luck!!

I often use lacquer thinner to remove permanent marker markings. From coolers, lunch boxes, some clothing, shoes, tools, etc. As stated - always test first, though. And as also stated - don't be disappointed if the ink has 'soaked' into the chip, and isn't removable.

Dry erase marker didn't work either, the chip is just too stained. The only thing that helped partially was vigorous scrubbing with a magic eraser, but as expected, that took the hotstamp along with it.....

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpeg
    IMG_3167.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3168.jpeg
    IMG_3168.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 51
Be careful with dry erase markers, they are either alcohol-based (which doesn’t work with these chips) or ketone-based, like acetone.
Acetone will eat the chip material.
Edit: nvm, we posted at the same time.

Dry erase marker didn't work either, the chip is just too stained. The only thing that helped partially was vigorous scrubbing with a magic eraser, but as expected, that took the hotstamp along with it.....
Problem is, it’s taking the hotstamp with it. Shame somebody did this with a marker. :cry:

Haha I am already considering these chips dead with the marker stains, so this is mostly just an experiment at this point. I'm not expecting to salvage any of them, if I did it would be a nice bonus

I’m not sure if there’s anything that’s going to be able to be done considering the marker is probably from over 30 years ago. As much as I wish there’s something that could be done, I’d consider the chips dead too

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom