PCF Shows (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
With cable TV producing solid shows I figure this could have its own thread and not hi jack the PFC at the Movies thread.

Whatcha ya watching? Recommend anything?

I've recently started DL/Streaming shows/movies and have found some good ones.

Were half way through the first season of Newsroom (Jeff Daniels). I highly recommend it. Its acting/story driven. The forced love triangle in season one is maybe my only complaint.

Just started a Netflix series, Marco Polo. EP1 was "meh". It is quickly improving. Takes place in the G. Kahn era.

Peaky Blinders is another solid Netflix series. Two seasons in, and only 6 episodes per season. I can get into that.

I'm sure there are a ton I'm missing. Lets hear what you watch!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the Walking Dead, the Americans, The Following, the Blacklist, Justified, and Californication. Breaking Bad was awesome too.

Last edited:
lots of all-time favorites that have ceased production, but these are the ones i'm watching that are still airing along with brief descriptions of the lesser knowns:

BEST
- happy valley (middle-aged detective-turned-sergeant in northern england investigates a kidnapping gone wrong and tries to keep tabs on her daughter's rapist who was just released from prison)
- the fall (middle-aged british detective sent to northern ireland to investigate a possible active serial killer)
- true detective (i'm an unrepentant fanboy for this one; can't wait for season 2 with rachel mcadams)
- parks and rec (last season coming up which is sad, but i'm glad it's going out on top; i know some believe it's gone downhill the last couple years, but i disagree)
- house of cards (as long as you recognize it for the farce that it is, it's a blast)
- silicon valley (hilarious and i know basically nothing about technology and start-up culture)
- black mirror (maybe not quite great, but there are few twilight zone-esque options these days and i'll take it)
- top of the lake (detective investigates the disappearance of a 12 year old girl, an all-female religious colony, and the history of a suspect family in new zealand)

GOOD
- homeland (moved up from "bad but can't stop" after this last season; it seems to be getting its bearings again)
- game of thrones (very close to great, but lost a little during a recent rewatch for me; hopefully i'll get the bug again once the new season premieres)

BAD BUT CAN'T STOP
- walking dead (this show is a fucking abortion, but for some reason i continue to punish myself after swearing it off at least three times)

DOWNRIGHT EMBARRASSING
- how to get away with murder (i'm not embarrassed by much in terms of music/tv/movies, but this is honestly embarrassing; terrible on basically every level)

Anything I enjoy is destined to get cancelled early.

Bernie Mac, Titus, Greg The Bunny....

Recently lost Franklin & Bash, frigging LOVE Malcolm McDowell. Uh, Psych and Burn Notice are done now. Watching Blackish with Anthony Anderson. Game of Thrones (natch). Walking Dead is abysmal, story and plot holes are ridiculous. I wanted to love it, I am a huge zombie fanatic, but couldn't like it except for the great makeup work.

Got through Breaking Bad on DVD, finished up a few months back. Great series, slipped a bit at the end (c'mon, Gus just KNEW in the parking garage? gimme a break) but still loved it. Getting caught up on The Office on DVD, I think we're on season 4 or 5. Rewatching 3rd Rock From The Sun, got a bunch of those on disc.

Wife and I watch Justified as well, another great series. Wishing I could watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia but they switched from FX to FXX and I don't get it. I catch random South Park episodes but haven't kept up with it.

Oh, Helix on Syfy is a guilty pleasure, but kinda meh. Same with The Leftovers on HBO (expecting it to suck in the end given the guy from Lost is involved, but maybe the ride will be fun) Defiance on Syfy as well has stumbled a bit lately. Lost Girl is a mess, but I love me some hot succubus action.

Same with The Leftovers on HBO (expecting it to suck in the end given the guy from Lost is involved, but maybe the ride will be fun).

Totally spaced on the Leftovers. I would put that in the best category above. Loved it and looking forward to season 2.

Totally spaced on the Leftovers. I would put that in the best category above. Loved it and looking forward to season 2.

The ending left me a bit, underwhelmed, seemed too happy? And I expect all the "cool mysteries" will just never be explained because that Lost guy is good at creating all kinds of confusion and mystery but not at wrapping it up and explaining it (except with God, ick)

Although I did enjoy the twist on who committed the stoning death

The ending left me a bit, underwhelmed, seemed too happy? And I expect all the "cool mysteries" will just never be explained because that Lost guy is good at creating all kinds of confusion and mystery but not at wrapping it up and explaining it (except with God, ick)

Although I did enjoy the twist on who committed the stoning death

yeah if you're looking for plot resolution, there will be none. perrotta (author) and lindelof have been upfront about that. i guess i have the advantage of having read the book and therefore knowing from the beginning that it's not really about the plot or answers as much as it is about the characters and how they cope under the circumstances.

the book's storylines were pretty much finished in the first season, so i'll be curious where they take it.

I think the biggest catch for me is the guy shooting dogs, he's hilarious (and mysterious) and of course the whole "what's going on with the dogs" thing as well.

Comedies: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Big Bang Theory, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, Veep, Silicon Valley, Louie, it's Always Sunny, The League, Blackish, Sirens.

Non-comedies: Gotham, NCIS New Orleans (Scott Bakula ftw), Walking Dead, Game of Thrones.

Also, I am loving all the EPL matches they are showing now. Saturday mornings I'm locked into NBCSports.

Anything I enjoy is destined to get cancelled early.

Bernie Mac, Titus, Greg The Bunny....

I liked Titus as well. Nobody seems to remember it but I thought it was great. I also really enjoyed Men Behaving Badly with Rob Schneider. I need to watch it again and see if it was really that funny or if I was just young and full of beer.

Non-comedies: Game of Thrones.

???? GoT is the funniest show on tv brah!

a1ZES.gif

Great, great scene from my second favorite show of all time, slightly behind Breaking Bad... Kinda splitting hairs really...

We're kind of on the same boat about current TV shows, the difference being I couldn't watch Sillicon Valley... And one of the shows I most look forward to watching weekly is actually Ray Donovan... It's kinda my Sopranos fix but in LA with an Irish thug and little lighter... Nothing super phenomenal but pretty entretening... Oh, never got into Walking Dead also...

maybe the best scene of all time in definitely the best show of all time:

Game of Thrones. Ldo

Loved Entourage, people seemed to either love it or hate it but I thought it was great.
The Unit. First 2 seasons were good, started going down hill after that.
Rules of engagement. Patrick Warburton makes this show good.
The League. I don't understand fantasy football, but this show is great.

Jenn and I enjoyed Entourage, although we weren't big fans of Vincent or Turtle. Johnny Drama was one of my favorites (hey bro, where'd you get those calves?) and of course Ari was always entertaining. There is a movie in the works coming out in 2015 I believe

Yeah can't wait for the movie. Drama was awesome, my brother met him in a small town pub in the UK about 8 years ago. Said he was a very nice guy in person.

Jenn and I enjoyed Entourage, although we weren't big fans of Vincent or Turtle. Johnny Drama was one of my favorites (hey bro, where'd you get those calves?) and of course Ari was always entertaining. There is a movie in the works coming out in 2015 I believe

The preview of the Entourage movie was released last week. I agree with stocky that people generally love it or hate it. I fucking hated it. It started as a satire of Hollywood and devolved into being itself a product of Hollywood.

The preview of the Entourage movie was released last week. I agree with stocky that people generally love it or hate it. I fucking hated it. It started as a satire of Hollywood and devolved into being itself a product of Hollywood.

For me it was like The Sopranos. it had some fantastic moments mixed with some truly meh ones as well. I guess I could almost compare it to Lost in a way. With Lost the journey was a blast, but the payoff sucked. Still, knowing that payoff now, I wouldn't skip the journey to get to it.

Breaking Bad is my favorite show of all time by a mile.

Others I enjoy are (in no particular order):

Big Bang Theory
The Office
Friends
Seinfeld
Orange is the New Black
House of Cards
The League
Criminal Minds

I can't beleive no one has mentioned deadwood. I know then end sucks but the first season is absolute pure genius. Loved every second of it. The wire, curb your enthusiasm, Seinfeld. All good ones also

Deadwood was a lot of fun, I just thought we were trying to discuss more recent shows I guess? If we're going back, get past the god-awful first season of Babylon 5 and it's an amazing show with awesome stories and characters. Farscape was a blast, the first couple seasons of the relaunch of Battlestar Galactica were great, but then it became a mess after that.

I can't beleive no one has mentioned deadwood. I know then end sucks but the first season is absolute pure genius. Loved every second of it. The wire, curb your enthusiasm, Seinfeld. All good ones also

i got through maybe 3 episodes of deadwood and it just wasn't my thing. it's one that i've got in line to try again when i have the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom