PCF Shows (3 Viewers)

- game of thrones (very close to great, but lost a little during a recent rewatch for me; hopefully i'll get the bug again once the new season premieres)

the first four eps of this season really did turn me back around. GoT is back in the "great" category.

unfortunately, silicon valley might be falling from "great" to "good". i'm not ready to say for sure after only one episode, but i was a bit underwhelmed by the premiere. hopefully it gets some of its spark back as it moves forward through the season.

still a few shows that i've not gotten to and have heard are worth the time:

- last man on earth
- unbreakable kimmy schmidt
- veep
- justified
- the good wife

i know i'm late as hell on those last three.

- last man on earth
- unbreakable kimmy schmidt
- veep
- justified
- the good wife

On another forum (PMC) their hating on the last man on earth. Said the first episode was awesome. Then a steady drop after that. I haven't seen it vwiw.

My father kept preaching to me that Justified is entertaining. I recently started it (about 4 months ago). I'm already through the first 4 seasons. Honestly, I almost quit after the first few of S1, but after that it got better, then hooked me.

Just finished the first season of Banshee from Cinemax. Its just good enough for me to give S2 a shot. The violence the best thing about it.

Have you watched Daredevil? Excellent show. The first episode is good, not great. It only gets better the deeper into the season that you get. Once the Kingpin is introduced it really picks up speed.

JButler,

If you got Netflix, I would strongly recommend Bloodline. Its a little hard to describe but its a little like True Detective mixed with a well-shot Soap Opera.

Its a Netflix original and is only 13 episodes

Next on my list is Peaky Blinders

My father kept preaching to me that Justified is entertaining. I recently started it (about 4 months ago). I'm already through the first 4 seasons. Honestly, I almost quit after the first few of S1, but after that it got better, then hooked me.

Have you watched Daredevil? Excellent show. The first episode is good, not great. It only gets better the deeper into the season that you get. Once the Kingpin is introduced it really picks up speed.

that was sort of my experience with justified. i watched the first few episodes when it first premiered because i'm a big Elmore Leonard fan (the original author). i didn't much care for it, so i gave up and have been told since then that it's so great.

it's hard for me to muster the strength for a comic book tv show. i'm sure that sounds somewhat culturally tone deaf and maybe i'll feel differently sometime down the road, but it just doesn't seem like my thing. i can mentally check out for a couple hours for a blockbuster marvel movie, but i don't know if an entire series would work.

JButler,

If you got Netflix, I would strongly recommend Bloodline. Its a little hard to describe but its a little like True Detective mixed with a well-shot Soap Opera.

Its a Netflix original and is only 13 episodes

bloodline has been on my radar since i saw it on netflix and read the wiki. weirdly i haven't read anything else about it. ditto for peaky blinders. will probably check out bloodline at some point, though.

I've been watching a new sitcom this season, Fresh Off the Boat. It's about a Taiwanese family from DC who move to Orlando so dad can run a Western steakhouse that he bought all set in the 1990's. It's a funny show, the best characters are the mom and dad. The little kids are pretty damn good too. New actors too.

I've been watching a new sitcom this season, Fresh Off the Boat. It's about a Taiwanese family from DC who move to Orlando so dad can run a Western steakhouse that he bought all set in the 1990's. It's a funny show, the best characters are the mom and dad. The little kids are pretty damn good too. New actors too.

randall park - the dad - has been getting decent work for a few years now and is really hilarious imo. sitcoms are usually an uphill battle for me, but i've wanted to give this one a shot.

I dunno, the previews I've seen looked pretty awful. Still enjoying Blackish, although I know we're a number of episodes behind since the move

that was sort of my experience with justified. i watched the first few episodes when it first premiered because i'm a big Elmore Leonard fan (the original author). i didn't much care for it, so i gave up and have been told since then that it's so great.

it's hard for me to muster the strength for a comic book tv show. i'm sure that sounds somewhat culturally tone deaf and maybe i'll feel differently sometime down the road, but it just doesn't seem like my thing. i can mentally check out for a couple hours for a blockbuster marvel movie, but i don't know if an entire series would work.

I understand. They have made it work. I'd give it 4 episodes. If your not hooked, then cool. The action scenes are well done. DD doesn't start off as a "superhero" with all these powers. When he kicks the shit out of some bad guys, he has to actually earn it.

very solid. I've watched both seasons. I love that their only 6 episodes each.

I actually quit sons of anarchy half way through what I knew was the final season. It was that bad. The last few seasons of that show used up every bit of goodwill anyone could have had for it.

Of the last shows mentioned:

I felt the same about S.O.A. although I kept watching to the end... In all honesty, I think the show started to fade mid way through the run... Lots of potential lost imo... Overall, I thought it was a better than average show (which is not to say much!)...

Damages on the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed... Was never a big fan of Glen Close but she KILLS it with her acting... Not a perfect show but certainly one I'd like to have continued for a couple more seasons...

Justified has been one of my favorites as well... Not brain surgery, just a light and fun hour on Wednesdays... For some reason I love the writing... Not the plots themselves but more the witty dialogues... I have a couple of friends that come over when the show is on, we open a new bottle of bourbon, watch the show than play a little poker...

I like Banshee for some of the moods they are able to impart to the show but after the third season I can't say I'm looking forward to a new one... Every season got more violent but to the detriment of more subtle plots...

Veep is GREAT!!! I laugh my ass off every episode and JLD is phenomenal... The whole cast is actually... Could do without Jonah though...

Silicon Valley on the other hand, I couldn't get past the two first episodes...

Last edited:
I felt the same about S.O.A. although I kept watching to the end... In all honesty, I think the show started to fade mid way through the run... Lots of potential lost imo... Overall, I thought it was a better than average show...

i agree. i actually abandoned it after season 2 then caught back up after seeing a clip from a later episode (maybe season 4?). they were definitely not as good as the first two seasons, but i felt i could still enjoy it every week. by the end, it was a real struggle to care. the writing just got so terrible. the first season was one of the most promising first seasons i can remember. the whole hamlet structure to the show grabbed me right away.

Veep is GREAT!!! I laugh my ass off every episode and JLD is phenomenal... The whole cast is actually... Could do without Jonah though...

i've been told by so many people that i have to watch it. i think chippy pushed me over the edge when we were chatting at BBotB. i'll start it soon. plus i have had a crush on JLD for almost 20 years. strange that i've never watched more than one episode of anything she's done since seinfeld. i guess i'm not a very loyal fan.

i guess it hasn't been mentioned to this point because it's not on anymore, but it seems a real shame to have a TV thread and no talk about the shield. one of the all time greats imo and completely and totally true to its characters and narrative until the final second of the series. best series finale of all time maybe.

i've been told by so many people that i have to watch it. i think chippy pushed me over the edge when we were chatting at BBotB. i'll start it soon. plus i have had a crush on JLD for almost 20 years. strange that i've never watched more than one episode of anything she's done since seinfeld. i guess i'm not a very loyal fan.

I think you'll love the show Jack... I can't remember a running comedy as good as Veep... Heck, it might be the best comedy since Curb Your Enthusiasm... NOT at the level of Seinfeld and CYE though...

If you're a fan of JLD, that's added bonus... She looks even better nowadays than during the Seinfeld years imo... But it could be just the effect of her puffy hair back then... I'm a fan also...

i guess it hasn't been mentioned to this point because it's not on anymore, but it seems a real shame to have a TV thread and no talk about the shield. one of the all time greats imo and completely and totally true to its characters and narrative until the final second of the series. best series finale of all time maybe.

Couldn't agree more!!! One of the most underrated shows of all time... Classic!!!

Watched every episode of SOA but it was the very definition of "hate watching." I only wanted to see it end, that show had more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Agreed with the consensus that it had great potential.

Irritated the shit out of me so hard that the plot often occurred because a family member or SOA member didnt pick up the phone call to say something over the phone, and instead had to do it in person. Within the time frame of them thinking about sharing a detail with someone else, someone would either get killed because they were missing that important piece of information or when they went to speak, the person was not at the club, house, shop, etc etc.

Truly infuriating television

Ha. The first 4 or 5 episodes of SOA I thought it was the greatest show ever, but then by the end of season 1 I was done. As someone who isn't averse to a couple of spoilers to gain a better understanding of whatever it is that I'm watching, it looked like it only went downhill from there. Too bad.

This is one I really need to go back to and finish. I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons and stopped for whatever reason. I will need to go back and watch it all again as I wouldn't remember most of what's going on.

I will definitely be getting back to it though. Currently re-watching Stargate SG-1 right now.

Watched every episode of SOA but it was the very definition of "hate watching." I only wanted to see it end, that show had more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Agreed with the consensus that it had great potential.

Irritated the shit out of me so hard that the plot often occurred because a family member or SOA member didnt pick up the phone call to say something over the phone, and instead had to do it in person. Within the time frame of them thinking about sharing a detail with someone else, someone would either get killed because they were missing that important piece of information or when they went to speak, the person was not at the club, house, shop, etc etc.

Truly infuriating television
It was when I realized I was hate watching SOA that I stopped. I enjoyed the first couple seasons, but knew it was going downhill fast.

+1000 on The Shield and The Wire. Two of the best ever. Vic Mackie is the most bad ass TV cop of all time.

Can't say I've watched a whole lot of newer television lately but I've really been into Hell On Wheels. Another great show from AMC.

I tried watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, it was awful. Couldn't get through 3 episodes. I think I might have laughed at one joke and the family in the show is so spoiled, unlikeable, and annoying that it became impossible to watch. Expected a lot more of something with Tina Fey's name attached to it.

Comedy...

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Louis
Modern Family
QI
Schitt's Creek
Veep
Would I Lie To You?

Drama...

Better Call Saul
Boadwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Gotham
Justified
The Walking Dead

There are several shows mentioned in this thread that I need to check out...

We stayed with Sons of Anarchy until the shitter end but the last couple of seasons were pretty horrendous. They should've ended that show several seasons earlier. The final season in particular was spectacularly bad, and the ending as awful as any show in recent memory. Jackson killed by Gemma would've made for a much stronger resolution and having to live with the guilt, instead of that ChEasy Rider-esque shite.

Justified got off to a staggering start, meandering all over the place, but the second, third and fourth seasons were great. The fifth tailed off and the current season is really weak imo (although I'm 3 or 4 episodes behind at the mo).

+1000 on The Shield and The Wire. Two of the best ever. Vic Mackie is the most bad ass TV cop of all time.

Can't say I've watched a whole lot of newer television lately but I've really been into Hell On Wheels. Another great show from AMC.

I tried watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, it was awful. Couldn't get through 3 episodes. I think I might have laughed at one joke and the family in the show is so spoiled, unlikeable, and annoying that it became impossible to watch. Expected a lot more of something with Tina Fey's name attached to it.
Tried getting into Hell on Wheels, but couldn't do it. I liked the first few episodes, but then it started to drag.

Carnivale is one I wish would have gone on longer. There was some real potential with that show.

This is one I really need to go back to and finish. I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons and stopped for whatever reason. I will need to go back and watch it all again as I wouldn't remember most of what's going on.

I will definitely be getting back to it though.

it is absolutely worth the watch. i missed it during the initial run, but worked with a guy during the final season who convinced me to go back and catch up. so glad i listened as it isn't often mentioned in the typical "best of" lists and i might have otherwise never bothered.

Comedy...
Schitt's Creek

i don't watch a lot of comedy, but this is one i've been meaning to get started on.

Carnivale is one I wish would have gone on longer. There was some real potential with that show.

times a billion. some shows are just so unlucky strictly by virtue of their timing. carnivale was too soon by about 5-7 years. sure, HBO was willing to pour money into the first season, but they didn't see it catch fire immediately and abandoned it. nowadays it would have gotten at minimum a 3 season commitment and i really believe it would have developed into something great. i haven't been able to go back and rewatch just because i remember how bummed i was when i found out they weren't going to be able to resolve everything left open at the end of season 2.

Based on the recommendation here and a few other places I watched episode 1 of Last Man of Earth and let me just say, during the first episode...as I watched alone of my couch, I audibly laughed 3 or 4 times. That doesnt happen very often for a TV show that you find yourself laughing watching it alone.

My top two favorite shows of all time in no particular order:
The Wire
Friday Night Lights

Followed Closely by in no particular order:
Breaking Bad
Sopranos
Seinfeld
Lost

Based on the recommendation here and a few other places I watched episode 1 of Last Man of Earth and let me just say, during the first episode...as I watched alone of my couch, I audibly laughed 3 or 4 times. That doesnt happen very often for a TV show that you find yourself laughing watching it alone.

I've heard that is the best episode. It goes down hill every episode there after. This is just what a few friends have said. I personally haven't seen it.

My top two favorite shows of all time in no particular order:
The Wire

I loved the first few seasons of The Wire. Hell, the first season was awesome. By s3 or s4 it was becoming repetitive.

Friday Night Lights

Followed Closely by in no particular order:
Breaking Bad
Sopranos
Seinfeld
Lost

I'm trying to get into the 12 monkey's series. Not sure if I'll stick with it or not. Oh, and I hated Lost, lol. I watched it for exactly one season and one episode before giving up on it.

as much as i loved and continue to love it, not liking Lost i can understand even if it's hard to imagine jumping after just one season.

but not liking seasons 3 and 4 of the Wire is pretty much tv viewer malpractice. those are literally the pinnacle of television imo.

as much as i loved and continue to love it, not liking Lost i can understand even if it's hard to imagine jumping after just one season.

but not liking seasons 3 and 4 of the Wire is pretty much tv viewer malpractice. those are literally the pinnacle of television imo.

Let me double check which season I stopped. I might have stopped after 3. It was just feeling kind of the same thing.

it is absolutely worth the watch. i missed it during the initial run, but worked with a guy during the final season who convinced me to go back and catch up. so glad i listened as it isn't often mentioned in the typical "best of" lists and i might have otherwise never bothered.

i don't watch a lot of comedy, but this is one i've been meaning to get started on.

times a billion. some shows are just so unlucky strictly by virtue of their timing. carnivale was too soon by about 5-7 years. sure, HBO was willing to pour money into the first season, but they didn't see it catch fire immediately and abandoned it. nowadays it would have gotten at minimum a 3 season commitment and i really believe it would have developed into something great. i haven't been able to go back and rewatch just because i remember how bummed i was when i found out they weren't going to be able to resolve everything left open at the end of season 2.

The missus and I really dig Schitt's Creek. It's character-driven, quite a slow burner initially. In terms of pace it is similar to Christopher Guest's mockumentaries.

We think it's great but I fully expect it's not everyone's cuppa!

Worth it for Catherine O'Hara's fruit wine commercial takes and rendition 9f Danny Boy.

And to marvel at the strength of the Levy eyebrow gene passed from Eugene to Daniel.

I thought Carnivale was ace. It had a great off-kilter vibe, strong cast of characters. Probably too unsettling to garner a decent ratings following and ahead of its time certainly. I'd love for that show to come back.

In some random related knowledge, The Kurgan also voices Mr. Krabs in Spongebob (a recent hit with8th my daughter).

I'm rather sad that Justified is over now. I missed the series finale but I've got it DVR'd. Really like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Peaky Blinders, Lillyhammer, and the others I mentioned in my earlier post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom