PCF Podcasts (1 Viewer)

WedgeRock

Royal Flush
Reaction score
There are threads on beer and bourbon, TV Shows, etc. I thought I'd see what else you guys are listening to on podcasts.

I rarely listen to terrestrial radio any more (or satellite, for that matter). If I am in the car, doing yardwork, or running, I am generally listening to podcasts. Here's some that I really enjoy (in alphabetical order). Links are to the websites for the podcasts, not necessarily links to subscribe.
  • 30-for-30: 4 episodes, usually about 45 minutes, new episodes weekly. Much like the 1- to 2-hour stories on ESPN, this podcast dissects aspects of sports, sometimes obscure. It just started at the end of June, so there are only four episodes out there. The last one (episode 4) is what gave me the inspiration for this thread.
Episode 4: A Queen of Sorts. Is the story of Phil Ivey's card sorting at baccarat. Nothing earth shattering or new...except that I didn't know that Ivey was the bankroll, not the mastermind.​
  • Catholic Stuff You Should Know: 580 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes usually about twice a week. I found it by accident looking for another podcast. Its not for everyone, but I find it therapeutic and grounds. Its a little bit like a sermon. Some episodes make me consider my faith in a new way, sometimes its just background information about an aspect of Catholicism. The episode on Joan of Arc was powerful.
  • Criminal: 70 episodes, usually about 30 minutes, new episodes about every 2 weeks. Its not gangster-type crime. Its all different stories of people who somehow ran afoul of the law. I only recently picked it up, and I've probably only listened to a half dozen episodes, but its worthwhile.
  • Crimetown; 18 episodes (plus some bonus episodes), about 30 minutes each. Season 1 was about politics and the Providence Rhode Island mob, the third largest and most influential mob in the country behind New York and Chicago. I've read and watched alot about the mob over the years. I know alot of the players in New York and Chicago (and Detroit and other cities), but I knew nothing about the Providence mob or any of the players. Very well done. Very interesting stories. Interviews from both sides. Looking forward to Season 2. Bonus episodes are interesting, but you can skip the bonus episode on the music unless you are really into that sorta thing.
  • Freakanomics Radio: 260 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes every few days. I enjoy it, but this is one that I listen to as background at the office rather than in the car when I can really focus on it. It explores the aberrations that occur in all things.
  • Hidden Brain: 100 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes weekly. Usually an interesting science-based story that affects how we act, react and perceive the world around us. Its NPR, so its production is high, using stories told by experts, moderated by the host.
  • How I Built This: 47 episodes, about 40 minutes each, new episodes every few days. Also NPR. Every episode is the story of a self-made business. How they built the company, the lucky breaks, the trying times that almost broke them. Overwhelming, the theme is that these entrepreneurs were too naive to realize what they were doing probably shouldn't work -- but it did. It also wraps (after one more commercial break) with a story about a smaller business just getting off the ground. Its fascinating and i keep asking myself why I work for someone else after listening to this podcast.
  • Stuff You Should Know: 989 episodes, about 30-60 minutes each, new episodes every few days. They take really interesting topics, research them thoroughly, and then tell you about them in minute details. There is no real rhyme or reason to the topics. And every Halloween, they do a special episode where they read scary short stories. My kids love those episodes every year.
  • TED Radio Hour: 213 episodes, about 45-60 minutes each, new episodes weekly. Another NPR series, this podcasts presents a series of three stories on a related idea from people who have first-hand experience, woven together by commentary from the host. If you are familiar with TED talks, then no further explanation is necessary. There are many imposters out there, so make sure you are listening to the right one (maybe the imposters are better, but I really enjoy this one).
  • Tell Me Something I Don't Know: 26 episodes, about an hour each, new episodes weekly. This one is really entertaining. I would listen to it with my teenage children, but be forewarned: there will be adult language and discussion without warning. It is basically constructed as a game show, but its really not. There are generally 6ish contestants who try to impress a semi-famous panel of 3 with short snippets of an obscure fact. Then the three panel members present a little known fact. The best contestant and the best panel member then face off. There's a good amount of humor (sometimes forced) and a lot of esoteric and interesting information, all fact-checked on the spot (where additional information is usually added). I started listening because Annie Duke was on the panel (episode 6).
  • This American Life: 86 episodes, about 60 minutes each, new episodes every few days. Interesting stories about American culture. Usually a series of three or four stories on a topic, moderated by the host (much like the TED Radio Hour). I listen to alot of NPR, but I swear I'm not a liberal.
  • Up First: 61 episodes, about 10-15 minutes each, new episodes daily (M-F). Its NPR, so it has a slant, but its a quick podcast covering big happenings in the news from the day before. Concise. Great to listen to while I'm getting ready in the morning.

When I run, I like listening to podcasts about running. After kicking the tires on several, these three subscriptions survived:
  • Human Race: 31 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes twice a month. This is running-based, but they really are more human stories. This one is more about story-telling and less about running (its just the stories are generally running stories) -- but the themes go much deeper. I always look forward to new episodes.
  • Spartan Up: 154 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes every few days. Joe De Sena (founder of Spartan Race) is a straight up nut. He is a no bullshit, no excuse kinda guy. He covers stories that are related to his sport and perseverance, but sometimes they are only tangentially related. No fucking excuses for anything. WARNING: Link will take you to the Spartan Race website, which can be a rabbit hole.
  • The Runner's World Show: 65 episodes, about 60 minutes each, new episodes weekly. From the publishers of Runners World magazine, this is more of a strict running show. Has to do with all sorts of running-related topics. I find it extremely relevant, as I am in training for a marathon in October and there are tons of topics I can relate to. Shoes, nutrition, to the midset necessary for long races. Presented in an entertaining way. The main host just stepped down, so I'll see if this stays in my rotation.

Of course I listen to poker podcasts.
  • Poker Central Podcast Network: 63 episodes, about 60+ minutes each, new episodes every few days. Pretty good coverage of poker. Its been daily with the WSOP ME and they've done a pretty good job. Alot of poker shows are annoying. These guys are easy to listen to. Just added this one as a compliment to the 2+2 pokercast.
  • Two Plus Two Pokercast: 157 episodes, about 2 hours and 30 minutes each, new episodes weekly. They do a great job of covering poker, poker stories and degen'ing in general. Lots of input from the users at 2+2, so you know what kind of content they bring. I think the hosts are highly entertaining (and Adam Schwartz's laugh sounds just like @Azcat's laugh). I find it hard to count anymore without using the email number introductions at the end of the show. They were Johnny on the spot with the card-marking fiasco at the WSOP this year. Why am I selling this podcast? If you are here and you listen to podcasts, you're probably already on this.

My sports podcasts are pretty individualized, but if you like the same sports/teams I do, you might enjoy these.
  • Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney: 828 episodes, usually about 15-60 minutes each, new episodes daily during the season. Starting to get a little schtick-ey, but being an ESPN podcast, they get great guests. I really enjoy their "call to the legend" segments where they chat with a hall of famer. It used to be just one big episode, then last year, they broke it into scoreboard and stories. Now, they will be out 2 or 3 per day (scoreboard, the rest of the podcast, and a special part -- call to the legend or something similar). Easy way to keep tabs on the sport if you don't have time to watch games nightly. I usually listen to it in the background at the office.
  • Hockey Today: 239 episodes, about 45 minutes each, new episodes every day during the season. I went through alot of hockey podcasts. I tried to subscribe to Canadian ones, but they were boring. I listened to Spittin' Chiclets -- who got good guests -- but it was too Boston-centric for me (maybe it was just the accents). This one is pretty broad-based and unbiased. Great guests because they are ESPN. Well-produced.
  • Overtime on the Island: 16 episodes, about 45 minutes each, new episodes every 3 weeks (more often during the season). There used to be an Islanders podcast called Dump and Chase. There are still archived episodes out there. This is the best Islanders podcast I've found that's not Dump and Chase.

I also listened to a couple of podcasts that are apparently now done and not making new episodes. I found them at or near the end and found them fascinating enough to listen to them all the way through from beginning to end.
  • Missing Richard Simmons: 6 episodes, about 30 minutes each. This show tells the story of Richard Simmons and how he went from a selfless health/fitness enthusiast to a recluse, and the rumors and theories as to who was behind the change. It ends rather aburptly, but I don't think it could've ended any other way.
  • Shit Town; 7 episodes, I think they were about 90 minutes each. Interesting story, well-told. From the creators of Serial. It could have been alot shorter, but it didn't feel like it was too long either. I found it late and put other podcasts on hold to listen to the whole season. It doesn't end where I thought it would when I first started listening.
So there's my list of podcasts. Hopefully some of you enjoy one or two of them. What else are you listening to?

Behind the Bets – Interview Bob Scucci weekly during football season – he’s the bookmaker for the Orleans and all Boyd gaming properties in Vegas. Interesting to hear from the other side – discussion on setting lines, public perception and the lines the professional gamblers are taking.

Tim Ferriss Show – Interesting interviews with top performers in their fields. Past guests include Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Foxx, Edward Norton, Tony Robbins, Maria Popova, Peter Thiel, Marc Andreessen, Amanda Palmer, Malcolm Gladwell, Vince Vaughn, Rick Rubin, Reid Hoffman, Jon Favreau, Whitney Cummings, Mike Shinoda, and 200+ more. He can come off as little too much of a self improvement guru type at times, but overall still very interesting interviews.

What about our favorite local podcast - Drew and Mike (Marc).

So far that is really all I have podcasted.

I didn't think that would have appeal outside the local area, but yeah, that's a daily listen too... "Get my dawwwg!"

When I worked Midnights I'd listen to the Dan Patrick show podcast. Nothing else. Since I started working bankers hours I don't have time. Some of these sound interesting. Thanks,

B

Ok I don't really want to muck up the thread. But can someone help this tech moron get podcasts on my samsung S7. I have spotify if that helps

Thanks
Aaron

Ok I don't really want to muck up the thread. But can someone help this tech moron get podcasts on my samsung S7. I have spotify if that helps

Thanks
Aaron
I use the podcast addict app...it's free and fully functional. Definitely one of the better podcast apps out there.

Edit: You can donate to remove the banner ad that appears at the bottom of the app but it is very unobtrusive and not necessary.

I use the podcast addict app...it's free and fully functional. Definitely one of the better podcast apps out there.

Edit: You can donate to remove the banner ad that appears at the bottom of the app but it is very unobtrusive and not necessary.
+1 on Podcast Addict
Thanks! I'll download that one later

Couple of features I like is setting the playback speed faster (or slower). I generally listen at 1.1x speed (and get done 10% faster).

I also like that you can hold the FFWD button and delete the episode and move to the next.

They've really improved the AI over the last year-ish.

Thanks
Aaron

I haven't used Podcast Addict, so I can't comment on it (sounds promising, though). I use BeyondPod, and it works fine.

There are threads on beer and bourbon, TV Shows, etc. I thought I'd see what else you guys are listening to on podcasts.

I rarely listen to terrestrial radio any more (or satellite, for that matter). If I am in the car, doing yardwork, or running, I am generally listening to podcasts. Here's some that I really enjoy (in alphabetical order). Links are to the websites for the podcasts, not necessarily links to subscribe.
  • 30-for-30: 4 episodes, usually about 45 minutes, new episodes weekly. Much like the 1- to 2-hour stories on ESPN, this podcast dissects aspects of sports, sometimes obscure. It just started at the end of June, so there are only four episodes out there. The last one (episode 4) is what gave me the inspiration for this thread.
Episode 4: A Queen of Sorts. Is the story of Phil Ivey's card sorting at baccarat. Nothing earth shattering or new...except that I didn't know that Ivey was the bankroll, not the mastermind.​
  • Catholic Stuff You Should Know: 580 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes usually about twice a week. I found it by accident looking for another podcast. Its not for everyone, but I find it therapeutic and grounds. Its a little bit like a sermon. Some episodes make me consider my faith in a new way, sometimes its just background information about an aspect of Catholicism. The episode on Joan of Arc was powerful.
  • Criminal: 70 episodes, usually about 30 minutes, new episodes about every 2 weeks. Its not gangster-type crime. Its all different stories of people who somehow ran afoul of the law. I only recently picked it up, and I've probably only listened to a half dozen episodes, but its worthwhile.
  • Crimetown; 18 episodes (plus some bonus episodes), about 30 minutes each. Season 1 was about politics and the Providence Rhode Island mob, the third largest and most influential mob in the country behind New York and Chicago. I've read and watched alot about the mob over the years. I know alot of the players in New York and Chicago (and Detroit and other cities), but I knew nothing about the Providence mob or any of the players. Very well done. Very interesting stories. Interviews from both sides. Looking forward to Season 2. Bonus episodes are interesting, but you can skip the bonus episode on the music unless you are really into that sorta thing.
  • Freakanomics Radio: 260 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes every few days. I enjoy it, but this is one that I listen to as background at the office rather than in the car when I can really focus on it. It explores the aberrations that occur in all things.
  • Hidden Brain: 100 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes weekly. Usually an interesting science-based story that affects how we act, react and perceive the world around us. Its NPR, so its production is high, using stories told by experts, moderated by the host.
  • How I Built This: 47 episodes, about 40 minutes each, new episodes every few days. Also NPR. Every episode is the story of a self-made business. How they built the company, the lucky breaks, the trying times that almost broke them. Overwhelming, the theme is that these entrepreneurs were too naive to realize what they were doing probably shouldn't work -- but it did. It also wraps (after one more commercial break) with a story about a smaller business just getting off the ground. Its fascinating and i keep asking myself why I work for someone else after listening to this podcast.
  • Stuff You Should Know: 989 episodes, about 30-60 minutes each, new episodes every few days. They take really interesting topics, research them thoroughly, and then tell you about them in minute details. There is no real rhyme or reason to the topics. And every Halloween, they do a special episode where they read scary short stories. My kids love those episodes every year.
  • TED Radio Hour: 213 episodes, about 45-60 minutes each, new episodes weekly. Another NPR series, this podcasts presents a series of three stories on a related idea from people who have first-hand experience, woven together by commentary from the host. If you are familiar with TED talks, then no further explanation is necessary. There are many imposters out there, so make sure you are listening to the right one (maybe the imposters are better, but I really enjoy this one).
  • Tell Me Something I Don't Know: 26 episodes, about an hour each, new episodes weekly. This one is really entertaining. I would listen to it with my teenage children, but be forewarned: there will be adult language and discussion without warning. It is basically constructed as a game show, but its really not. There are generally 6ish contestants who try to impress a semi-famous panel of 3 with short snippets of an obscure fact. Then the three panel members present a little known fact. The best contestant and the best panel member then face off. There's a good amount of humor (sometimes forced) and a lot of esoteric and interesting information, all fact-checked on the spot (where additional information is usually added). I started listening because Annie Duke was on the panel (episode 6).
  • This American Life: 86 episodes, about 60 minutes each, new episodes every few days. Interesting stories about American culture. Usually a series of three or four stories on a topic, moderated by the host (much like the TED Radio Hour). I listen to alot of NPR, but I swear I'm not a liberal.
  • Up First: 61 episodes, about 10-15 minutes each, new episodes daily (M-F). Its NPR, so it has a slant, but its a quick podcast covering big happenings in the news from the day before. Concise. Great to listen to while I'm getting ready in the morning.
When I run, I like listening to podcasts about running. After kicking the tires on several, these three subscriptions survived:
  • Human Race: 31 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes twice a month. This is running-based, but they really are more human stories. This one is more about story-telling and less about running (its just the stories are generally running stories) -- but the themes go much deeper. I always look forward to new episodes.
  • Spartan Up: 154 episodes, about 30 minutes each, new episodes every few days. Joe De Sena (founder of Spartan Race) is a straight up nut. He is a no bullshit, no excuse kinda guy. He covers stories that are related to his sport and perseverance, but sometimes they are only tangentially related. No fucking excuses for anything. WARNING: Link will take you to the Spartan Race website, which can be a rabbit hole.
  • The Runner's World Show: 65 episodes, about 60 minutes each, new episodes weekly. From the publishers of Runners World magazine, this is more of a strict running show. Has to do with all sorts of running-related topics. I find it extremely relevant, as I am in training for a marathon in October and there are tons of topics I can relate to. Shoes, nutrition, to the midset necessary for long races. Presented in an entertaining way. The main host just stepped down, so I'll see if this stays in my rotation.
Of course I listen to poker podcasts.
  • Poker Central Podcast Network: 63 episodes, about 60+ minutes each, new episodes every few days. Pretty good coverage of poker. Its been daily with the WSOP ME and they've done a pretty good job. Alot of poker shows are annoying. These guys are easy to listen to. Just added this one as a compliment to the 2+2 pokercast.
  • Two Plus Two Pokercast: 157 episodes, about 2 hours and 30 minutes each, new episodes weekly. They do a great job of covering poker, poker stories and degen'ing in general. Lots of input from the users at 2+2, so you know what kind of content they bring. I think the hosts are highly entertaining (and Adam Schwartz's laugh sounds just like @Azcat's laugh). I find it hard to count anymore without using the email number introductions at the end of the show. They were Johnny on the spot with the card-marking fiasco at the WSOP this year. Why am I selling this podcast? If you are here and you listen to podcasts, you're probably already on this.
My sports podcasts are pretty individualized, but if you like the same sports/teams I do, you might enjoy these.
  • Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney: 828 episodes, usually about 15-60 minutes each, new episodes daily during the season. Starting to get a little schtick-ey, but being an ESPN podcast, they get great guests. I really enjoy their "call to the legend" segments where they chat with a hall of famer. It used to be just one big episode, then last year, they broke it into scoreboard and stories. Now, they will be out 2 or 3 per day (scoreboard, the rest of the podcast, and a special part -- call to the legend or something similar). Easy way to keep tabs on the sport if you don't have time to watch games nightly. I usually listen to it in the background at the office.
  • Hockey Today: 239 episodes, about 45 minutes each, new episodes every day during the season. I went through alot of hockey podcasts. I tried to subscribe to Canadian ones, but they were boring. I listened to Spittin' Chiclets -- who got good guests -- but it was too Boston-centric for me (maybe it was just the accents). This one is pretty broad-based and unbiased. Great guests because they are ESPN. Well-produced.
  • Overtime on the Island: 16 episodes, about 45 minutes each, new episodes every 3 weeks (more often during the season). There used to be an Islanders podcast called Dump and Chase. There are still archived episodes out there. This is the best Islanders podcast I've found that's not Dump and Chase.
I also listened to a couple of podcasts that are apparently now done and not making new episodes. I found them at or near the end and found them fascinating enough to listen to them all the way through from beginning to end.
  • Missing Richard Simmons: 6 episodes, about 30 minutes each. This show tells the story of Richard Simmons and how he went from a selfless health/fitness enthusiast to a recluse, and the rumors and theories as to who was behind the change. It ends rather aburptly, but I don't think it could've ended any other way.
  • Shit Town; 7 episodes, I think they were about 90 minutes each. Interesting story, well-told. From the creators of Serial. It could have been alot shorter, but it didn't feel like it was too long either. I found it late and put other podcasts on hold to listen to the whole season. It doesn't end where I thought it would when I first started listening.
So there's my list of podcasts. Hopefully some of you enjoy one or two of them. What else are you listening to?

heres my short list

The Daily---20 minutes a day from the new york times--excellent in depth of major stories from the reporters doing the writing
ThinkingPoker--strategy segment is decent, interviews hit or miss, but all related in some way to poker
JustHandsPoker--just one hand, in detail weekly
Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell--fascinating looks at history
Pod Save America--smart, witty political conversation, leaning way left
This American Life---pretty much the same for many years

heres my short list

The Daily---20 minutes a day from the new york times--excellent in depth of major stories from the reporters doing the writing
ThinkingPoker--strategy segment is decent, interviews hit or miss, but all related in some way to poker

A couple of promising suggestions there... Thanks.

heres my short list

Have I been removed from your invite list. Haven't heard about a game in awhile

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom