PCF Cigars (6 Viewers)

Another stick from @Lil Tuna

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.50.41 PM.png

Not bad, not great. Had some burn issues kinda throughout but nothing I couldn't work my very newbie chops through and get to the end. That being said, kinda a so-so stick, just nothing about it really blew me away or would make me want to seek it out in the future. Glad for the experience, but I'll likely think twice about picking this one up again.

My only real complaint was the size. At a 56 ring gauge it's just too thick for me. A 52 is about as thick as I am comfortable with and I'm really finding myself drawn to the panatellas like lancero & lonsdale.

Another stick from @Lil Tuna

View attachment 943036

Not bad, not great. Had some burn issues kinda throughout but nothing I couldn't work my very newbie chops through and get to the end. That being said, kinda a so-so stick, just nothing about it really blew me away or would make me want to seek it out in the future. Glad for the experience, but I'll likely think twice about picking this one up again.

My only real complaint was the size. At a 56 ring gauge it's just too thick for me. A 52 is about as thick as I am comfortable with and I'm really finding myself drawn to the panatellas like lancero & lonsdale.
Interesting review Dave. I’ve literally had people tell me almost verbatim the same opinion on that cigar. The ring gauge for certain takes some getting used to. If my memory serves me correctly, I think @Jonesey07 was on the fence about the Rio Seco as well.

I’m thinking you’d be much happier with the HdM Epicure #2 in the future. ;)
Happy 4th of July to all the cigar lovers!

Interesting review Dave. I’ve literally had people tell me almost verbatim the same opinion on that cigar. The ring gauge for certain takes some getting used to. If my memory serves me correctly, I think @Jonesey07 was on the fence about the Rio Seco as well.

I’m thinking you’d be much happier with the HdM Epicure #2 in the future. ;)
Happy 4th of July to all the cigar lovers!
near the top of my list and at the top of my 'can actually get' list :)

If you know — you know! I actually cut it twice: once in both directions. I think it's called a Rose cut?
I don’t know I’ve ever tried it. I have some sticks that I know are always tight draws, I’ll give it a shot! It’s a pretty hefty cut to start

I don’t know I’ve ever tried it. I have some sticks that I know are always tight draws, I’ll give it a shot! It’s a pretty hefty cut to start
Yeah, apparently it's supposed to help open it up a little — although I always use one of those PerfecDraw tools when that's the case. Works a treat!

s2iutiwg9aj81.jpg

Photo from Reddit of a rose cut.

Man, I'm so done with Cuban Montecristos. Decided to pick one up tonight and it's the same old story: impossibly tight draw that not even a PerfecDraw could cure.

Any particular brands people tend to steer clear of due to constant bad experiences?

Man, I'm so done with Cuban Montecristos. Decided to pick one up tonight and it's the same old story: impossibly tight draw that not even a PerfecDraw could cure.

Any particular brands people tend to steer clear of due to constant bad experiences?
I got a bad batch of #2s once that were exactly as you describe but it was only that one time. Makes me wonder if they are having some QC issues with the brand?
Typically the Montecristos are one of my favorite smokes, I hope this doesn’t become the norm or maybe it already has. :unsure:

I got a bad batch of #2s once that were exactly as you describe but it was only that one time. Makes me wonder if they are having some QC issues with the brand?
Typically the Montecristos are one of my favorite smokes, I hope this doesn’t become the norm or maybe it already has. :unsure:
Yeah, my first bad experience was with a #2 — particularly frustrating as it was in a beautiful Havana hotel.

They might well be having QC issues. I mean, it took until I was halfway through the cigar (a Petit Tubos) to find the culprit with my PerfecDraw:

IMG_20220708_234136.jpg

Smoked perfectly after that, but by then the experience was pretty much ruined.

888E4828-C0DD-4148-81AC-BBA987DF2FB0.jpeg

I got suckered and bought one of these. Local cigar store, the old guy always gets me to buy some BS crap. Bought a bunch of Ashton and he convinced to grab one to try.. damn story about a British earl … whatever. Highclere castle- I have nfc

Last edited:
Consistency of Cubans varies wildly from what I’ve read and experienced due largely to their (lack of) QC and the pressure to release them ASAP. The Monte #2s have been the most consistent so far, while my HDM #2s have been the most varied. I have a pretty limited experience pool, though.

The reality for me is that while I enjoy some Cubans a lot, I am finding the taste, quality and consistency of American brands to be far, far superior as a rule.

Wow, disappointing to hear. I guess that I’ve been lucky as I’ve thus far always gotten a great draw from the Cuban MC line (#2, #4, and P EdM)

I have no discipline nowhere near that time frame. Mine is like 2 weeks. GLWSmoke!
Meh, super disappointed with this stick. It was plugged - no saving it with my perfect draw tool. 20 years wasted. Got a few very labored draws, but ended up chucking it.

Ended up smoking a Cohiba Lancero instead.

View attachment 946646
I got suckered and bought one of these. Local cigar store, the old guy always gets me to buy some BS crap. Bought a bunch of Ashton and he convinced to grab one to try.. damn story about a British earl … whatever. Highclere castle- I have nfc
I have been wanting to try one of these, but I can never find them in my local cigar shops. They are supposed to be a pretty good Connecticut smoke.

Just FYSA, I am now in a Tier 1 Habano-friendly country and what’s available is barely better than ihavanas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom