PCF Cigars (6 Viewers)

Been sitting on these for awhile too!

A00B355A-C82A-4388-A503-6F23D81E5B9A.jpeg

Found this one in the bottom of the singles bin in my humidor, I think I bought a box of these in like 2007 so its well rested lol. Awesome little smoke, really dark and earthy, pairs nicely with a good barrel-charred bourbon.

20220625_170046.jpg

Picked up a few samples from Montefortuna, not too bad on the delivery time at 12 days.
The CC market is slim pickings these days, figured I’d give these a try.
View attachment 941098
I've been looking at a few places and no one really has 'samplers' so you are stuck just buying 1 here and 1 there or a 1/4 box like you did.

Setting up some extra tupedors for some deliveries that are on the way and coming to the realization that the ambient temperature in the room I'm using for storage is not ideal. I can get a pretty consistent 65-70% humidity depending on what boveda is in there, but the ambient temperature in that room is pretty warm and the hydrometers are regularly reading 75-78F. It's basically as hot as it gets during the year here now, but it'll be like this for 4 months every year. The rest of the year the temperature in that room will be cool enough that I think it should be fine. I've moved them from near the ceiling to near the floor. Hopefully that makes a difference. At the end of the day I probably need to find a different room in my house for storage.

For me, one of the greatest appeals of smoking cigars is that it's the ultimate pledge to dedicating time to yourself. With that in mind, this seemed like an appropriate choice when I went to choose a stick from my local store earlier: the E.P. Carrillo Pledge Prequel Robusto.

IMG_20220703_001313.jpg

First things first: port is such an overlooked drink for painting with cigars, in my opinion. The sweetness of the wine works so well with the flavour of most cigars.

So, the cigar itself? It had a sticker on the packaging, stating that it received a 98 rating from Cigar Aficionado — the magazine's highest-rated stick of all-time according to the same sticker (although on further inspection, the 1992 Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona garnered a near-perfect 99). Add to that the same publication giving it the accolade of Cigar of the Year 2020, and I was intrigued, to say the least.

I'm really on the fence about box-pressed cigars; although the consistency of quality is undeniable, I just rather the traditional rounder shape. As a result, it did seem smaller than other 50 ring gauge cigars I've had — or maybe I just prefer 52s?

Flavours in the first third were pretty bold — and a little underwhelming, I must say. The final two thirds, however? Wow! A big savoury kick of salty peanuts is how I'd best describe it — sheer bliss! I'd go as far as saying that the final third is one of the best cigar experiences I've ever had.

A 98 though? Probably not. Cigar of the Year? Based on the final third, you'll find no argument from me.

Happy smoking, everyone! And, from this side of the pond, may your 4th of July weekends be filled with plenty of it!

Last edited:
For me, one of the greatest appeals of smoking cigars is that it's the ultimate pledge to dedicated time to yourself. With that in mind, this seemed like an appropriate choice when I went to choose a stick from my local store earlier: the E.P. Carrillo Pledge Prequel Robusto.

View attachment 942556

First things first: port is such an overlooked drink for painting with cigars, in my opinion. The sweetness of the wine works so well with the flavour of most cigars.

So, the cigar itself? It had a sticker on the packaging, stating that it received a 98 rating from Cigar Aficionado — the magazine's highest-rated stick of all-time according to the same sticker (although on further inspection, the 1992 Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona garnered a near-perfect 99). Add to that the same publication giving it the accolade of Cigar of the Year 2020, and I was intrigued, to say the least.

I'm really on the fence about box-pressed cigars; although the consistency of quality is undeniable, I just rather the traditional rounder shape. As a result, it did seem smaller than other 50 ring gauge cigars I've had — or maybe I just prefer 52s?

Flavours in the first third were pretty bold — and a little underwhelming, I must say. The final two thirds, however? Wow! A big savoury kick of salty peanuts is how I'd best describe it — sheer bliss! I'd go as far as saying that the final third is one of the best cigar experiences I've ever had.

A 98 though? Probably not. Cigar of the Year? Based on the final third, you'll find no argument from me.

Happy smoking, everyone! And, from this side of the pond, may your 4th of July weekends be filled with plenty of it!
And shout out to the Colibri V cutter…. my absolute favorite cutter!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom