Paulson pharaoh chip question (3 Viewers)

teebxv

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new to the poker chip scene. But I recently bought a house and wanted to host a poker tournament or cash games. I’ve been eyeing the Paulson pharaoh. The price seems steep to get them. Like $10 per chip. I’m buying 500 chips what do you think is the reasonable amount per chip? Thank you everyone in advance.

Where have you seen Pharaohs for $10/chip? That’s a ludicrous price for Paulson mold chips.

For mint Pharaohs I’d look more in the $3-4/chip range, less for used chips.

There are three versions of Pharaohs:
- The “suits mold” with denominations
- The “Paulson Chips” mold with denominations
- The “Paulson Chips” mold without denominations

The value increases in the order listed for same condition chips.

For example, used suits mold is probably around $3/chip, excellent condition denoms around $4/xhip, mint blue NCVs can go $5+/chip.

Where have you seen Pharaohs for $10/chip? That’s a ludicrous price for Paulson mold chips.

For mint Pharaohs I’d look more in the $3-4/chip range, less for used chips.
Y
For example, used suits mold is probably around $3/chip, excellent condition denoms around $4/xhip, mint blue NCVs can go $5+/chip.
Hello I appreciate the info I don’t know the different variation but I got a pic if that helps. Said to be in excellent/mint condition. Also the seller has WTHC for the same price not sure which would be more worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_4971.jpeg
    IMG_4971.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 173
Y

Hello I appreciate the info I don’t know the different variation but I got a pic if that helps. Said to be in excellent/mint condition. Also the seller has WTHC for the same price not sure which would be more worth it.
At $10/chip neither of those are worth it. Period.

Y

Stay away from eBay. With a little patience you’ll be able to source a set here at a reasonable price

I think in general for the Paulson fantasy sets that move with any frequency here (CDI98, WTHC, Classic), around $4-5 per chip average for Ex to NM condition is the current market price. Will vary depending on denoms as well.

Do not buy on eBay!! Cruise the classifieds here and take your time before spending thousands, and maybe too much.

Great advice here. Hang around and make some connections and don't be afraid to reach out to people. Sounds like u already have someone willing to help you out. I have added onto my set recently and paid in the $5-$7 range for mint chips depending on the denomination. I have 1600 brand new Pharaohs. They will see their 1st game November 18th!! Good luck.

Attachments

• 20231021_184140.jpg
    20231021_184140.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

The suits mold Pharaohs are only non-denomination.

Piggybacking here - does anyone have a sample set of the non-denom Pharaohs they'd be willing to sell?

Not for $10/chip please. ;)

Robert Eisenstadt lists the Paulson 4 suits and Hat/Cane as MD-38c. But I guess "we" call it the Paulson "suits" mold.

Please elaborate on "pips" mold.

Someone here had claimed that what we call the Paulson "suits" mold is actually called the Paulson "pips" mold. I'll stick with "suits" but more accurately:
MD-38c (4 suits and hat/cane). There are a lot of "suits" mold chips, especially the BCC Mardi Gras v1 chips (which I regret selling). The owner of that mold named it "The Suits", so to say "suits" mold may cover a few that have been done previously.
http://www.antiquegamblingchips.com/molddesign_suits.htm

Last edited:
Paulson formally refers to the mold as the 'Card Pips' mold. Only the uneducated call it the 'suits' mold.

Please elaborate on "pips" mold.
Here you go:

Paulson formally refers to the mold as the 'Card Pips' mold. Only the uneducated call it the 'suits' mold.

"Suits" is uneducated. "Pips" is downright stupid. "Card Pips"... now that makes sense! I wonder if MD-38c is acceptable?
"Clay" is uneducated: No current chip is made from plain clay. "Ceramic" is uneducated: they are not ceramic pottery discs.
How dare the masses use common terms in referring to things!
However: Although I've never seen anything published to the effect, it is good to know what Paulson calls their molds.

Last edited:
Although I've never seen anything published to the effect, it is good to know what Paulson calls their molds.
GPI mold names:

~ Card Pips (aka suits)
~ Flower (aka BCC Sun)
~ Lammer (aka 39mm no-mold)
~ Top Hat and Cane (aka THC)
~ Top Hat and Cane (aka RHC)
~ 43mm Top Hat and Cane (aka IHC)

Those are the only molds where I've personally seen the GPI order proofs showing the mold name. Missing from the list are the 36mm AHC, 39mm Decor Ring, 48mm FHC, and 50mm lammer no-mold.

Those are the only molds where I've personally seen the GPI order proofs showing the mold name. Missing from the list are the 36mm AHC, 39mm Decor Ring, 48mm FHC, and 50mm lammer no-mold.
Hmmm. Where might one see GPI order proofs? Nagb perhaps? Nagb. That is a whole can of worms in itself that I am totally ignorant of and causes MANY questions in my mind. I was aware (after the fact) of the Cruise Ship chips and was very disappointed that I wasn't in on that. I don't know how it is possible that these new runs are being done. Is any new nagb being offered at the cost price? Seems like they are made and re-sold at prices this guy can't (and won't) pay. If another nagb for THC mold chips is done at cost price + a small premium, I'd be very interested.

Hmmm. Where might one see GPI order proofs? Nagb perhaps?
The GPI proof for the Grand Cardroom tournament set group buy contained the Card Pip mold reference.

The others were on various private buy order proofs.

I’m buying 500 chips
Why? Why 500? Why would you pull 500 out of thin air and think this is reasonable?

Wouldn’t a better statement be something to the effect of buy enough chips to host a game?

Can you imagine buying just enough chips to not be able to actually host a game?

HA! HA! HA! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

HA!

I just barely restrained myself
Yeah, I'm not offended. It may be that way now. But back on ChipTalk, this wasn't the case. People that had a pipeline to something would pretty much share it with the community, maybe with a small premium. Maybe that was because you could still get Paulsons from different sources. But whatever the reason, things are VERY different now than they were then.
So... I'm not laughing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom