Paulson: Full label replacement tutorial thread (1 Viewer)

A few questions:

1. Murder = using nail polish or alcohol + some sort of blade to cut/scrape out an inlay or label? I skimmed a few of the initial pages, and the fastest someone can murder a chip is ~3 min? Has this been beat?

2. Mill = using a drillbit to remove an inlay/label and most likely taking part of the clay poker chip material with it? How quickly can this be done per chip?

I had no idea this could was so time consuming. Those of you with custom sets with your own hands - BRAVO!!
Technically both #1 & #2 are murder, but only #2 is milling.

As for time:
#1 can be done faster, but only with a lot of practice and experimentation how to speed things up. Not all chips are equal as far as how easy/difficult to murder this way.

#2 can be done by hand with a drill press or with a CNC mill. Most would do this with a drill press & a flat bottom drill bit. Once you have your jig set up, you can go pretty fast...maybe 30 sec/chip. If you are only doing them for yourself then spending an hour or so making and setting up a jig is going to add a lot of extra time to your average time/chip

#1 is more appropriate for most chips that already have an inlay.
#2 would be done to hot stamped chips or in some cases to chips that #1 does not give acceptable results. Examples could be shaped inlays or RHC chips with inlays that are smaller than the desired replacement size

I thought I had seen that at some point, but for some reason I wasn't able to find it. Thanks for the link!

I am thinking I would try this method on some RHC's where there isn't a 1 1/16" flat bottom drill bit available.

Seems like it should work great

I thought I had seen that at some point, but for some reason I wasn't able to find it. Thanks for the link!

I am thinking I would try this method on some RHC's where there isn't a 1 1/16" flat bottom drill bit available.

Seems like it should work great

Yes it should work. Just a few things to consider:

1) Make sure the chips you will be working on are FLAT. Pre-flatten them if you can, as it will save you lots of grief later.
2) Be prepared to buy a few different exhaust flanges in order to get your final mill diameter correct.
3) Test on a few miscellaneous clay chips that you won't mind missing before starting on your good chips.

Yes it should work. Just a few things to consider:

1) Make sure the chips you will be working on are FLAT. Pre-flatten them if you can, as it will save you lots of grief later.
Good advice. Luckily I have become an expert on flattening chips as most chips are warped to some extent

2) Be prepared to buy a few different exhaust flanges in order to get your final mill diameter correct.
Ok, but unless I am thinking about this wrong couldn't you just move the exhaust fan off center from the center of the router whatever amount necessary to get the exact dia you want?

3) Test on a few miscellaneous clay chips that you won't mind missing before starting on your good chips.
better to measure twice and cut once, right

Ok, but unless I am thinking about this wrong couldn't you just move the exhaust fan off center from the center of the router whatever amount necessary to get the exact dia you want?
Theoretically, yes. But, unless you are very careful and willing to take extra time with each chip, you may inadvertently end up with a weird oblong recess rather than a nice round one. If both accuracy and time efficiency are your primary considerations, better to have multiple jigs each perfectly centered.

brooklyn99-guess-who-just-got-murdered.gif

If only all chips were this easy to kill...

IMG_20220119_010212.jpg

P.S Why doesn't the Murder She Wrote thread turn up in searches? I wanted to post the photos there, ideally.

Thankfully this is my last rack, I've got 3 barrels of another chip coming to me but they were a breeze last time....famous last words!

My first trip down this road. What have you people led me into? Thankfully only needed to do 2 barrels. What I learned:

Xactos are very sharp. Be careful. Blood was spilled, but very little, on my first chip. Make sure your NPR is not expired by five years. Even if it isn’t, a different brand may give you different results. “Salon” style did nothing for me, but the second brand was awesome. Get an eyedropper for application.

AFC’s pie slice method is greatness although I did tweak it. I made one cut from edge to middle as instructed. The second cut I made was much smaller and not from edge. Just enough to create a point I could get under with my dental tool.

B9931D95-C6D7-4D20-9E6C-FEC5343B6CF1.jpeg

I was then able to maneuver the tool and lift up the edge of the laminate to grab with my pliers.

1D46D445-998F-43EC-B0C8-95AC9948BE00.jpeg

Because I did not cut the full “pie wedge” from the edge I could carefully work around and invariably remove the entire laminate piece. Tool below is pointing to smaller cut.

B9EA4A89-1BF9-4F37-B34A-CE2EB184CB35.jpeg

I also found that initially cutting at a slight angle would often introduce a little bit of air into the area between the laminate and the sticker which helped lift it up.

Those are my two cents. Good luck with your dirty deeds.

TS

Last edited:
The nail polish remover method would be best way to remove the inlays on TCR’s Indiana Grand chips, correct?

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/indiana-grand-sample-set-sale.89369/
Not necessarily. An RHC chip does not equal another RHC chip. Some remove without any type of solvent, some can be removed with isopropyl alcohol, and some can be removed with NPR. And then there are those that just are stubborn as all hell and will make you reconsider buying those dice chips.

If I were a betting man, then I would say that NPR would most likely work fairly well against these. However, it's certainly possible that isopropyl works just as well and doesn't cause any sort of discoloration.

Here's a link to a quick write-up I did comparing some of the different RHCs:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/murdering-ioc-25-house-mold.73671/post-1495701

Not necessarily. An RHC chip does not equal another RHC chip. Some remove without any type of solvent, some can be removed with isopropyl alcohol, and some can be removed with NPR. And then there are those that just are stubborn as all hell and will make you reconsider buying those dice chips.

If I were a betting man, then I would say that NPR would most likely work fairly well against these. However, it's certainly possible that isopropyl works just as well and doesn't cause any sort of discoloration.

Here's a link to a quick write-up I did comparing some of the different RHCs:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/murdering-ioc-25-house-mold.73671/post-1495701
@Eriks

After removing the inlay, I recommend scraping the base smooth with the blunt side of the blade before applying the label. In addition, you should remove the dust in advance so that the sticker holds.

After removing the inlay, I recommend scraping the base smooth with the blunt side of the blade before applying the label. In addition, you should remove the dust in advance so that the sticker holds.
I find oiling the whole chip and then wiping the excess from the inlay area after they have soaked up some helps remove any glue/residue to leave a flat surface.

There are a bunch of people who will say that the oil will cause issues with the label sticking but I have never had an issue. I normally wait at least a day before placing the label, but I have done it in as little as 2 hours after wiping the oil away (using @Gear labels).

There are a bunch of people who will say that the oil will cause issues with the label sticking but I have never had an issue. I normally wait at least a day before placing the label, but I have done it in as little as 2 hours after wiping the oil away (using @Gear labels).
I believe that even the wise and powerful Gear says that either way is fine - just to ensure that all oil is gone before applying the label.

Adding my experience I shared earlier this week for reference.

I took a very small flathead screwdriver and placed it toward the edge of the inlay. Then I pressed and twisted until a portion began to separate. Sometimes you hear a small pop as the screwdriver punctures the inlay. Then I took a small pair pliers and slowly peeled the inlay away. On these particular older chips 102 out of 160 the inlays and vinyl label came off at the same time. It took about 5 hours.

ES1.jpg
ES2.jpg
ES3.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom