Palpatine is back (1 Viewer)

I don’t think I’ve ever been as uninterested about a Star Wars film than I am about this one.

Just when you think they can’t make a worse film than the last one they manage to sink even lower.
And bringing back the emperor just shows that they’ve run out of ideas.
There’s rumours that Ewan McGregor (Connor’s brother) has recorded scenes for this as well. Sounds like a mess...

I am jaded. I admit it. Star Wars has become like a girlfriend who keeps letting you down. You keep giving her another chance because you really want it to work and she lets you down again.
The last Jedi was the deal breaker... or it should have been because we all know that I’ll still queue up on opening night and go see it :D

only thing that looked interesting was lando's story and whatever Palpy has been up to. Even my kids are not impressed with the new trilogy. my 10 year old said "...that these movies make him miss jarjar...and jarjar is terrible."
You know it’s bad when Jar Jar’s absence is lamented :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Maybe he’ll turn up at some point. Everyone else seems to be!

My wife didn’t care about Star Wars at all. But walking out of The Force Awakens, she says “okay, this is my Star Wars. I like this.” The characters were great, and we were both excited for what was coming next. We wanted to see new stories in this world.

The very next Star Wars movie was Rogue One. We saw it. She was confused and didn’t really care for it. The post-Force Awakens excitement she had was already quieted a bit.

Then we saw Last Jedi. There were some things we liked. We talked about it a bunch afterward, but we kept coming back to: yeah, that part was weird. That was disappointing. I guess that clue from TFA didn’t matter. Overall we were a bit let down.

Now? We watch the new trailer. She doesn’t remember who Palpatine is until I remind her. “He shot lightning out, old man monster face, etc.” Pretty much all the reference/nostalgia is lost on her. Just like Rogue One. The trailer was sort of “meh” for us.

All that said, I’ll see it. But I think the new Star Wars needed to bring in brand new fans, like my wife, with new characters and a new story. Disney started strong, but I think they’ve largely bungled it since then.

I’m kind of shocked they (pretty clearly) didn’t have a plan for all three movies. How was that possible? A new take every movie? Yikes.

I'm a big fan of the Star Wars universe. I saw the original trilogy in theaters as a child, and I grew up playing with toys and action figures that would probably be worth a ton of money if I still had them today. I've spent hundreds of hours playing SW games, read a number of EU ("Legends") books, and I've even managed to sit through the entire Star Wars Holiday Special without rage-quitting. Of course, for that last one I was an eight-year-old TV/scifi junkie who didn't know any better. :D

I love Star Wars, but I'm also realistic about what the movies are: campy space opera. In spite of their many flaws, these movies provide me with bigger-than-life characters, outrageously implausible plots, and fun, fantastic escapism. I walk into the theater expecting to see big space battles, good vs. evil painted in black and white, and ridiculous turns of fortune that almost always favor the heroes. I've always believed that Han Solo quote should be, "Never tell me the odds, because they don't matter."

Star Wars is also a vehicle that I've used to share my love of science fiction and fantasy with my wife and kids. Mrs. S had little interest in the genre when we first met. Now she's a rabid Doctor Who fan, and she undoubtedly watches and reads more scifi than I do. And while none of my kids are quite the fanboi that I am, they enjoy and appreciate SW and scifi as well. Hell, my 14-year-old daughter recently read a Robert Heinlein novel and liked it!

Every single Star Wars movie could be better in some ways, and a couple of them have major flaws in my opinion. Still, I'm looking forward to Episode 9, and as with most of the others, I will be in the theater opening week to see it. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I know it will be a fun ride.

Last edited:
I can’t help wondering what the title, “The Rise of Skywalker” is insinuating. From what I understood, the Skywalker saga was all but over. The prequels focused on Anakin, the OT focused on Luke, and the closest thing to a Skywalker (that we know of) in the new trilogy is Ben Solo. I’m happy to see the teaser, but I’ve been hoping since Episode VII that Rey had no connection to the Skywalker lineage whatsoever and that she was essentially a nobody that The Force chose to be Kylo’s equal in the light.

Definitely excited to see how they wrap this all up!

Take all of this as coming from an origional fan who's childhood revolved around Star Wars.

Force Awakens tried to be a remake, a reboot and a sequal all at the same time. JJ's shtick is to create mysteries that he has no plans to actually figure out plus kill a character you care about. Rince and repeat. For the life of me I don't understand his allure.

For Last Jedi the director set out to break everything in Star Wars purposely. Then either her or Lucas Film or Disney said wait a sec and reversed everything at the end anyway. The film literally had no point to it whatsoever. But it was fun going to see it as part of an event with @gopherblue.

Will JJ suddenly make magic happen that is beyond his creative abilities for the last one? Obviously I don't think so. If the emporer is in it then it's just another turn at undoing every accomplishment won in the original series.

For Last Jedi the director set out to break everything in Star Wars purposely. Then either her or Lucas Film or Disney said wait a sec and reversed everything at the end anyway. The film literally had no point to it whatsoever. But it was fun going to see it as part of an event with @gopherblue.
Plus, we got free lightsabers. Glass half full. :p

Take all of this as coming from an origional fan who's childhood revolved around Star Wars.

Force Awakens tried to be a remake, a reboot and a sequal all at the same time. JJ's shtick is to create mysteries that he has no plans to actually figure out plus kill a character you care about. Rince and repeat. For the life of me I don't understand his allure.

Will JJ suddenly make magic happen that is beyond his creative abilities for the last one? Obviously I don't think so. If the emporer is in it then it's just another turn at undoing every accomplishment won in the original series.
Agree with this. JJ has already shown that he’s incapable of having an original thought. On saying that I’m looking forward to seeing the force ghost of the tauntaun from empire strikes back :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

im so interested that I'm not going to even watch the trailer. The new start wars movies have been unoriginal and boring. So bad that I haven't even watched that two newest flicks.

im so interested that I'm not going to even watch the trailer. The new start wars movies have been unoriginal and boring. So bad that I haven't even watched that two newest flicks.
You should watch the last Jedi just to see how bad it is. You’d think that making a Star Wars movie would be an open goal but somehow they’ve managed to miss the target. I think Disney knows it’s screwed up as they’ve announced that they won’t be making any more for a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom