Tourney P*s Online 2-max Questions (1 Viewer)

Moxie Mike

Full House
Reaction score
Tagging @BGinGA @Beakertwang @CraigT78 @Highli99 @bsdunbar1 for your experience with the software. If there are people you know who might have knowledge to share I'd appreciate it if you could tag them. Hoping someone who's tried this will chime in.

I'm thinking about organizing a 'heads up' tournament. Has anyone ever tried to run a tournament with the seating set to 2-max? I have a few questions.

Before we get to that - I realize this isn't going to be a 'heads-up' tournament in the traditional sense where all matchups are completed before advancing players are reseated.

I'm operating under the assumption that the software treats this like any other tournament where tables break as players are eliminated.

Questions:

1) What happens when there are an odd numbers of players remaining in the game? Do they just sit and wait for a spot to open up?
2) How does reseating work? I assume the software is set to balance tables at all times, with one table designated at the eventual 'final' table. By that logic, whoever is initially seated at the 'final' table will assumedly always have players moved to that table as seats open up. I guess another way of asking is will a player who is seated at the 'final' table have to face a disproportionate number of opponents compared to other players in the tournament?
3) I assume the software does not take chip stacks into consideration when reseating players?
4) How do rebuys work? If a player rebuys, do they just remain at the table against the same opponent who just felted them?
5) What would be a good structure for something like this?

Thanks in advance.

I’d assume it’s run like a standard HU tournament... I enjoyed playing them back in the day and took down 1st in two 128-man and a 256-man (self-Luckbox-brag)

Assuming that’s the case players are randomly seated at the beginning, each table is a fight to the death match with winners moving on (with the winner of table 1 playing the winner of table 2... doesn’t randomize everyone each round). If there are an odd number of players (“odd” in this case being anything other than 4, 8, 16, 32, etc) some players are randomly awarded “byes” in the first round so the second round starts with an appropriate number of players.

I've never tried to schedule a 2-max event, but I am a member in another p* home group where several of the guys routinely schedule and play heads-up tournaments (one-on-one).

It's my understanding that if 2-max is selected, only two people can play. A third (or fourth) player cannot join.

At least that's how I remember it from several years ago. I haven't tried to join a 2-max event in a long time, but could not do it last time I tried.

I created a 2 max tourney last month and can confirm that the odd player who sits out is random. In my case we had 3 players and it was the second person that joined the tournament who took on the winner of the first match, resulting in that second player only having to play one match.

Regarding rebuys, I'm pretty sure you stay at the same table. I think it be weird to have rebuys during a headup tournament.

Last edited:
Okay, playing around with it now.

I just set up a 2-player NLHE event (TT000, 3-min) called "TEST DO NOT REGISTER*, and the only format 2-max allows is "Shootout" (so no KO or re-buy available whatsoever). That answers a couple of your questions.

The event is set to start tonight at 8pm ET (about 50 minutes from now). I have already joined, and if you can get three or four others to join, you'll at least get some answers to your other questions (assuming more than 2 can even join, I don't think so).

So, looking for test subject/players: @Beakertwang @CraigT78 @Highli99 @bsdunbar1 @Ronoh @Moxie Mike @davin @toynoob

I just set up a 2-player NLHE event (TT000, 3-min) called "TEST DO NOT REGISTER*, and the only format 2-max allows is "Shootout" (so no KO or re-buy available whatsoever). That answers a couple of your questions.

The event is set to start tonight at 8pm ET (about 50 minutes from now). I have already joined, and if you can get three or four others to join, you'll at least get some answers to your other questions (assuming more than 2 can even join, I don't think so).

So, looking for test subject/players: @Beakertwang @CraigT78 @Highli99 @bsdunbar1 @Ronoh @Moxie Mike @davin @toynoob
you noticed a lot of the results is not showing, like yest tourneys results not showing up, I went to standings and a lot of info missing like results. if u click a player it will show best results per field should be 1 of 32 on mine

Results posting has been sketchy since the software upgrade, although missing results were reinstated last week. But no results have been posted since Sunday.

Results posting has been sketchy since the software upgrade, although missing results were reinstated last week. But no results have been posted since Sunday.
Same here.

We just started a group this week and were wondering why no results were posting. We contacted support but no response yet. :S

Sorry for the late response. Thanks for playing around with it. I got tied up last night and didn't get back to this. Did you come to any conclusions?

Nope, nobody signed up (and I got railed into making dinner on the grill).

@200 Motels posted above with some feedback about player logistics. Definitely no rebuys or bounties, though.

Nope, nobody signed up (and I got railed into making dinner on the grill).

@200 Motels posted above with some feedback about player logistics. Definitely no rebuys or bounties, though.

I signed up...

I saw the referenced post. I think the fact that the software only allows the format as a shootout answers a lot of questions. The only thing I still wonder about is if it requires all matches to be completed before moving on to the next 'round', or if it will seat players as soon as an opponent becomes available.

It's important, since matches require different lengths of time to complete. If one match goes on for a long time while play continues, different players could end up having to win more games than others in order to advance to the finals. I'm also curious as to whether chip stacks carry over like they do in a conventional tournament. This could be an issue if a player has to sit out until a opponent becomes available - and if that opponent has played in an additional match they'll have a larger chip stack.

I guess we just need to experiment with the software and see what happens.

I signed up...

I saw the referenced post. I think the fact that the software only allows the format as a shootout answers a lot of questions. The only thing I still wonder about is if it requires all matches to be completed before moving on to the next 'round', or if it will seat players as soon as an opponent becomes available.

It's important, since matches require different lengths of time to complete. If one match goes on for a long time while play continues, different players could end up having to win more games than others in order to advance to the finals. I'm also curious as to whether chip stacks carry over like they do in a conventional tournament. This could be an issue if a player has to sit out until a opponent becomes available - and if that opponent has played in an additional match they'll have a larger chip stack.

I guess we just need to experiment with the software and see what happens.
Odd. When I went back after dinner and checked to see if it ran, it only showed me as registered, and the event as 'canceled'.

I think that 'shootout' also implies that table winners advance to new tables consisting of previous table winners (and typically starting fresh each time, depending on where you are playing).

Be glad to help experiment -- let me know when you need guinea pigs.

The only thing I still wonder about is if it requires all matches to be completed before moving on to the next 'round', or if it will seat players as soon as an opponent becomes available.

It's important, since matches require different lengths of time to complete. If one match goes on for a long time while play continues, different players could end up having to win more games than others in order to advance to the finals.
Play doesn’t resume until all matches are complete. If it’s four people the eventual winner will win two matches. Eight players the winner will win three, sixteen players he’ll win four, etc.

it’s a single elimination bracket tournament without the visible bracket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom