Oxyclean bath (1 Viewer)

Irishfan63

Pair
Reaction score
I know there are lots and lots of posts on cleaning, how about just 1 more? Any one try a diluted Oxyclean bath. I tried it and it seemed to do a good job, just wanted so be sure it didn't have any negative long term effects on the chips. I used a very soft bristle toothbrush to loosen the gunk. Afraid it might still be to harsh.

Oxy eats ASM/CPC chips (see story below). It is great on Paulsons. Avoid water that is too hot as some colors can fade. Oiling the chips helps bring the color back... mostly.

This is the method I used (on Paulsons) prior to getting an ultrasonic.

The story:
Back around 2013, I was cleaning my recently acquired Binion's Horseshoe chips. They were dirty and a mix of hat and cane molds and horseshu molds. It didn't occur to me at the time that the horseshu molds could have been manufactured by someone other than Paulson. Well, the first couple horseshu mold $1 chips I started to clean started melting in my hand. I looked like I was cleaning a paint brush after painting a tan room. I quickly rinsed the chips. The chip now has a somewhat pummice like appearance. Porous ya know... good times.

I have since discovered that TRK Large crowns don't like oxy either... small crowns are just fine. I think I recall hearing that the large crowns were actually manufactured by Burt Co. The horseshu molds are also Burt. FYI, Burt Co became ASM which became CPC... so likely same formula throughout.

Last edited:
Oxy eats ASM/CPC chips. It is great on Paulsons. Avoid water that is too hot as some colors can fade. Oiling the chips helps bring the color back... mostly.

This is the method I used (on Paulsons) prior to getting an ultrasonic.
Yay, I'm not an idiot!

Be careful to make sure the Oxy powder is completely dissolved. Found out the hard way if not and chips settle on an undissolved granule whilst soaking, will leave a white bleached mark.

Last edited:
sodium metasilicate - you don't want actual TSP (trisodium phosphate)
Lundmark TSP (not actually trisodium phosphate - it is sodium metasilicate)
Red Devil 0265 TSP 90 (sodium metasilicate - this is the one I've used)
Or the never fail old school soap and water and a blue scrub pad (only need the scrub side for tough dirt)

We were TSPing some inlaid paulson and @FordPickup92 thought it was ok to throw in a sample set of small crown CPCs when I realized they were in there I took them out and rinsed them... they went dirty just needed a quick wash before oil... well that was a few weeks ago and I checked them today after oil and they still feel different almost soft texture... they were only in the TSP for a couple of minutes, not sure on other molds of CPC even though the clay recipe should be the same, but think twice before TSP on the CPC chips at least the small crowns!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom