Out of Turn Penalties (1 Viewer)

PooperJeans

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I host a semi-regular friendly low stakes poker tournament with some friends and family but recently have been having problems with out of turn action especially folding. for the past few games I've just been politely asking players to refrain from making a move out of turn and trying to keep players more aware of who the action is on but it seems to have little effect in helping the situation. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and if they have any penalties in place to protect the integrity of the game but keep it fun for everyone.

That stinks; disrespectful to you as a host if you've been clear. You're in charge, I'd go over that rule before cards fly early in the day. Even if the biggest offenders aren't there, I hope some of your regulars would speak up in that situation after reminding everyone. If that doesn't work, pull aside some of the players you're close with and mention it to them, make it clear that its not just a house rule, that's how the game is played.

If it gets to the point where I have to penalize a player, after having warned them and explained why its bad on different nights, I'd just not invite them back. There's always exceptions but if they're rolling their eyes when you explain it its just rude. If I asked someone to sit out for a round every player would laugh at me unless I got some regulars in on it. Don't know, sorry you're dealing with it.

Repeat offenders will be asked to sit a hand out or if it continues, an entire orbit out. That should cut down on acting out of turn.
I did implement a one hand sit out penalty for my last game but all violations happened when a player was well away from the blind so they commented on how it really wasn't much of a penalty. One orbit seems a bit extreme to me but Ill probably test it out in my next game and hopefully the rule being in place will be enough to scare everyone into paying a little more attention.

That stinks; disrespectful to you as a host if you've been clear. You're in charge, I'd go over that rule before cards fly early in the day. Even if the biggest offenders aren't there, I hope some of your regulars would speak up in that situation after reminding everyone. If that doesn't work, pull aside some of the players you're close with and mention it to them, make it clear that its not just a house rule, that's how the game is played.

If it gets to the point where I have to penalize a player, after having warned them and explained why its bad on different nights, I'd just not invite them back. There's always exceptions but if they're rolling their eyes when you explain it its just rude. If I asked someone to sit out for a round every player would laugh at me unless I got some regulars in on it. Don't know, sorry you're dealing with it.
I dont really think its out of disrespect more just unawareness. my game is pretty small and all very close so I dont really want to have to kick anyone out. I think my game is pretty split on violators of the rule and people who like having it in place but unfortunately the ones in favor are the more quiet members of the game. I might ask some of them for a little backup if I keep getting any pushback because when I have tried to enforce it most of the violators just try to laugh it off.

Have a monetary penalty. % of the pot or a couple of Big Blinds. Or they post the blinds next hand.

Make them drink from this mug
Screenshot_20240123_201642_Chrome.jpg

Have you explained why the rule is in place?

When it happens explain that it hurts the player that made a bet because someone that is thinking of calling now knows they are folding and so don’t have to worry about a possible raise from them and would they like it if they were the one making the bet?

Have you explained why the rule is in place?

When it happens explain that it hurts the player that made a bet because someone that is thinking of calling now knows they are folding and so don’t have to worry about a possible raise from them and would they like it if they were the one making the bet?
Yep. I doubt they know why it's a rule and how it affects the game. Once they understand it shouldn't happen nearly as frequently. Unless you have to go to the bathroom, then I fold out of turn and leave the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom