Origin of your Username (2 Viewers)

I used to have a small paintball business when I lived down south...strike first sports. I kept the domains and email when we moved...you know a thread of a dream to own my own firearms/sporting goods business again one day.

So Strike or Strike1st has been around for about 11 years.

I got the name Bergs because I take a yearly cruise with my family to Arctic and I'm obsessed with icebergs. I usually hang out on the deck getting hammered off Black & Tans or Crown & Gingers watching the icebergs float by. It's remarkable when you think about it - only 5-10% of the iceberg is visible. Amazing. Wonderful. Much like me.

That's awesome Bergs -- never knew that! Ya know living close to Seattle & loving nature ya think by now I'd have taken a cruise up north for a visit but it's yet to happen. Ya got me thinking though!

As for UW85 -- graduated from University of Washington in '85. Pretty simple.

When I was a grad assistant in my alma mater's athletic department, the woman occupying the cube next to mine (an assistant women's soccer coach) thought it would be funny to call me "Snoop T-Oh-Double-D", so I started using it as a username. To be fair, Snoop and I do share a fair amount in common. </sarcasm>

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I screwed mine up after a few drinks, and hate that it makes me look dumb but it's kind of said that way by some the guys. It was late and I was looking to get into the Rounder's sample buy after missing out on the Boulevard's. But that's a different story for a different thread. It's after a four card draw guts game with fours being wild that I've been playing with a group of guys for almost 20 years now. They call it 44. If any degen's want to know the rules I can post later.

"Forty4! That's me. Gonna get some cold cuts today! Wooo!"

The best part of this commercial, for me, is that he already has cold cuts and throws them on the ground.

Abby was a gorgeous black-and-white domestic long-hair cat with emerald green eyes. She may be gone, but her name lives on. I named my recent new ride Abby as well (2014 Ford Escape Titanium, Ruby Red, purchased May 2014).

Bloody Marvelous (or Bloody Marvellous, still haven't figured out how to spell it correctly so I alternate between the two) is a sarcastic remark in England, but in the US everybody sees it as a positive. I've always liked the ambiguity of the phrase, and so started using it as my username.

Apparently both are correct...

Growing up I loved watching The Great Space Coaster. There was a puppet newscaster named Gary Gnu who did the news and he'd say

NO GNUS IS GOOD GNUS!

c08a4de796b539e03f6d1e93095b99b7.jpg

I noticed the puppet had a crooked looking mouth, so I'd make that face and I called it my "gnu" face. This was around 3rd grade. Everyone thought I was an idiot, although a couple of my close friends would make the dumb face with me.

Fast-forward to my Junior year in high school. Somehow the gnu thing takes off in a big way. By the end of my Senior year I have around 500 "gnus" in my "gnu book" complete with pictures, a list with everyone having an "official gnu title", even created a gnu language (you put a "G" in front of whatever word you wanted to". I had people from all the various groups, the jocks, the nerds, the goths, the gangsters, everyone was doing it. I even had people in other school systems, other states and other countries jumping on the bandwagon.

Here's some pics of the idiocy

gnu1.jpggnu2.jpggnu3.jpggnu4.jpggnu5.jpggnu6.jpggnu7.jpg

I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering, so "Gear". I forget why I chose to add the "x" on the other site - iirc, it was because "Gear" was either already taken, or too short.

Growing up I loved watching The Great Space Coaster. There was a puppet newscaster named Gary Gnu who did the news and he'd say

NO GNUS IS GOOD GNUS!

c08a4de796b539e03f6d1e93095b99b7.jpg

I noticed the puppet had a crooked looking mouth, so I'd make that face and I called it my "gnu" face. This was around 3rd grade. Everyone thought I was an idiot, although a couple of my close friends would make the dumb face with me.

Fast-forward to my Junior year in high school. Somehow the gnu thing takes off in a big way. By the end of my Senior year I have around 500 "gnus" in my "gnu book" complete with pictures, a list with everyone having an "official gnu title", even created a gnu language (you put a "G" in front of whatever word you wanted to". I had people from all the various groups, the jocks, the nerds, the goths, the gangsters, everyone was doing it. I even had people in other school systems, other states and other countries jumping on the bandwagon.

Here's some pics of the idiocy

View attachment 7694View attachment 7695View attachment 7696View attachment 7697View attachment 7698View attachment 7699View attachment 7700

the pictures make that story hilarious...

I can't believe you have so many pictures of people making a stupid face that you came up with in 3rd grade. Epic.

I can't believe you have so many pictures of people making a stupid face that you came up with in 3rd grade. Epic.

Lol, I have more. I had an entire photo album full of my cult members, errr.......friends, making that face. I even got teachers in high school making it, good times...good times

Lol, I have more. I had an entire photo album full of my cult members, errr.......friends, making that face. I even got teachers in high school making it, good times...good times

A man that could start a movement like that could be president! A little Great Space Coaster theme song on the campaign trail...

My online poker name is Courage (a tribute to the Courage the Cowardly Dog cartoon and a reminder to play aggressively since I was a timid player).

My online poker name is Courage...a reminder to play aggressively since I was a timid player).

this is such a long-term level it's not even funny.

literally the first time i met courage he check-jammed the fourth nuts (effectively third to him since he had blockers to nuts, but still) on a paired board on the river in PLO after i'd been potting with second nuts the entire hand. of course i fold because he's a thousand years old and i know better than to get tangled up with people who use a walker all month then sprint to the mailbox to pick up their social security check. i folded (obv) and bergman called (natch) to chop with fourth nuts.

tl;dr - read the post asshole it's not that long

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom